Sign in to follow this  
Notts Canary

Neil Adams - how dare he!

I was absolutely disgusted by what he said about the Norwich fans that left early on Saturday. How can he question the loyalty of the fans that have stuck by this club through thick and thin and have helped the club financially in recent times? As he was slating the crowd all u could hear in the background was on the ball city and that was at 4-1 down!!! For this very average tart of a player who I had the misfortunate to watch when I had a season ticket for five years to question the loyalty is a disgrace, I wander how many games he would attend if it was not his job? 

Thanking u for the tremendous impact u made as a player, cheers for the memories!!

I thought he got it just about right personally, he''s entitled to an opinion like the rest of us. He did say he didnt begrudge anyone leaving as they had paid their money and entitled to go when they wanted, and was expressing his disappointment that it was happening at all, like a few others on this message board.This argument will no doubt rumble on I hope it doesnt overshadow a great comeback by a great team.Cheers, KC.

agree with u KC.
the fans u heard cheering at 4-1 were the fans that are still behind the team. not the ones who couldnt be bothered to watch.

we all knew what it would be like when we came up in terms of how hard it would be, but we need all the support we can get and people leaving so early is dissapointing.

i found it very painful to watch at 1-4 but i was still there chanting and cheering because despite the position we are in, i kno what our team can do. and i felt that our comeback at the end was a little to do with the spirit of the players and the fans, not the ones who were in there cars on the way home.

i am not doubting the loyalty of the ones that left early, just doubting how much they believe in this team.

Fans should be commended for sticking with the club through the rough times, however how can you be classed loyal if you can''t even stick a game out for another 10 minutes. Anybody with an interest in football should know that a game can never be over until the final whistle. Of course 9/10 it''s over, but moments like yesterday are what makes the game great.

If there are "supporters" who don''t feel this then save your money as they''ll be many people who''d gladly take your place.

A difficult one, this. One of the callers on the ''phone-in who left early had been to every home and away match this season, so it was wrong to question her support. I think that she just got frustrated, like me, by the handful of players who didn''t seem to have any fight left in them - if you''ve spent your ''hard-earned'' going to games like Middlesbrough and Portsmouth, you''d feel let down by players who you thought had short-changed you. Personally, I was singing to the end, but I can understand how some people felt, being very upset at seeing our beloved Yellas heading further down the table. As I say, a difficult one.     

I agree it is a difficult one, and it will probably rumble on for a while yet!

I think and hope it will give the team and fans confidence to fight on until the end until it is mathematically impossible to stay in the Premiership.  It must have given the players a boost yesterday even though they went down a place in the division.

Come on you Yellows!

I find it incredible the number of fans who claim to have been singing till the end. Where I sat it was very quiet at least up until 2-4.Of course everybody (left) was singing at the end but what about during the game? As already posted we knew it would not be easy this season but it was / is vitally important to get behind the team.Potentially our support is second to none. Now is the time to look at the comeback ,be positive and look forward. OK some fans left early, some were very quiet and some even wasted energy singing we''re the Snakepit / we''re the barclay (why not get behind the team rather than argue amoungst ourselves) BUT at the end of the day we all want the same thing that is to see our beloved city succeed. LETS ALL BE POSITIVE EVEN IF WE DONT MANAGE TO STAY UP WE AT LEAST CAN BELIEVE WE GAVE IT OUR BEST SHOT.

OTBC

We are playing terribly.....Palace just go 3-0 up.....Southampton already won.....JFH scores wonder goal to put us 4-1 down.....been to West Ham, Charlton, Liverpool, Villa etc.....myself and three frustrated mates decided to console ourselves in squares - end of story.

How many shares has Mr Adams bought??. Lets see if he turns his back on the club if he was sacked by the BBC.

All this from an Everton fan, bloody cheek

The thing is, it''s not a difficult one at all. The fans have every right to do what they want, it''s their money, it''s their choice. Leaving early at any time does not make some people any less of a true supporter. I don''t go to games, does that mean I am not a loyal and true fan? Why does everyone keep moaning about this, it''s pathetic.

[quote]I find it incredible the number of fans who claim to have been singing till the end. Where I sat it was very quiet at least up until 2-4.Of course everybody (left) was singing at the end but what abou...[/quote]

John,

Just wanted to say welcome to our message board and great first post from you , keep them coming we need more positive posts like yours.

cityangel

JB good to have you on here, you are right there was a stunned silence, but someone, bless em!, started singing on the ball city and the whole ground erupted, at 4-1 I think. Now imagine being a player how you would feel? You would expect a slating and they got that. What a lift it must have been. Then of course, as the goals went in the atmosphere continued.

Personally, I can understand people leaving, because they are depressed. But I have never done it and the negativity it passes on to the players can not be underestimated, so I hope we all stick together in the future.

Loyalty of the fans?? Your having a laugh aint ya? Us City supporters are no different to any other football fans as in come and go and drift about. If they were all so loyal where have the extra 10,000 fans came from over the last 3 or 4 years? They certainly wasnt there from 1995 - 2000 when the avereage crowd was around 13,000.I remember on many occasions sitting there in the river end with my lad and having the choice of anywhere to sit because the ground was so empty. Guess you dont remember those days eh?

I firmly beleive that had Hasselbaink not scored from the free kick to make it 1-4 we would not have got anything from the game.

The fans WERE quiet, alebit with sporadic cheering, but in the main the home fans were quiet and like the players had accepted their fate.

However with the 4th goal a final chorus, mainly aimed at keeping the boro supporters quiet, was backed up by a quick goal from Ashton which meant the singing continued for the last 10 mins.

I did not leave early (although my daughter did ask when the 3rd boro goal went in) but I would not question the fans who did as the defending was simply so shocking.

A superb comeback and very reminiscent of a 3-3 home draw against Manure in the 80s whien I think it was Donowa who scored a Francis like tap-in in the last minute as we came back from 3-1 down inthe last 15 mins.

OTBC

I don''t know what Neil Adams actually said during the match commentary, because I was at the game, but I know what he said afterwards on Radio Norfolk.

He stated, as the fans had paid their money, it''s their choice whether they stay or leave. He also said, whilst he could understand people leaving early if the team were playing badly, he found the situation more difficult to comprehend when the team were playing well.

Neil''s opinion was that team weren''t doing that badly and that was the reason why he questioned people''s motives for leaving early.

I have to say that I agree with his comments, although, personally, I''ve never left a game early since Justin Fashanu made it 3-3 against Liverpool and we ended up losing 3-5.

Good response Two Sheds.  I have been supporting the team all my life and myself and father have been members since the membership scheme started.  Working for the Police I do shift work so it is not viable for me to have a season ticket so I now have to put up with the measly allocation of 3 games per season (at least whilst in the Premier).  Now our first game was in August and our second game in April and third in May.  That means going virtually the whole season without seeing a game (Aug-Apl) as the club thought in their ultimate wisdom that it would not be a good idea to give us game mid season therefore eliminating a game in Apl/May.  I too like you was there when there were only 13000 so it does now grip me slightly that you hear people moaning cos others left early and although not all of them I wonder how many of them moaning are members of the new 10000 club that supposedly have always been supporters. 

I can see where you are coming from NavMan and Two Sheds, but you are surely not wanting us to return to the dark days of the Chase regime when you had a choice of seats?

Every supporter has to start supporting the club at some time and loyalty goes beyond number of years as a member or season ticket holder.

It includes, amongst other things, supporting your team for the entire 90 minutes, plus injury time, irrespective of who is on the field, even if you don''t agree with the manager''s team selection or tactics.

Of course people can leave when they want - but why?  You pay for 90 minutes + injury time I''m gonna get my full money''s worth. You never know!!  A beer and the car park - what''s the rush?  The car park won''t disappear!  Anyway, to those supporters who left early hopefully, you will live and learn, maybe?  

Which one do you come under??

A) I can''t get a ticket and I''m terribly jealous, how dare anyone leave early as I most certainly would not.

B) I stayed and watched the whole fun packed 93 minutes.

C) I thought the game was dead so I went to the pub/car.

IMO everyone of us have a different pain/frustration threshold - those that left early on Saturday are not necessarely bad or unloyal supporters - it is just that they have a lower threshold than others. This can be seen in all walks of life and situations.

[quote]Which one do you come under?? A) I can''t get a ticket and I''m terribly jealous, how dare anyone leave early as I most certainly would not. B) I stayed and watched the whole fun packed 93 minutes. C...[/quote]

Smudge,

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I don''t qualify to answer any of your options, as I wasn''t there. But in the main I go along with your opinions on this subject. The only thing that usually annoyed me when people left early was that they blocked my view whilst doing so.

However to move the point a bit, I suggest that the term loyalty is being misused, there are many ways to assess the measurement of loyalty  but it surely is not how many minutes is spent watching a match.

If a person attended every match year in year out, paid his money, bought the shirt, program, hot dogs etc, everything that helps to make the club prosper, then is it right to apply the disloyal label if he/she couldn''t bear to watch the team getting slaughtered ?

Impatient, Intolerant or frustrated more like, but not disloyal.

Most of the posts of course are inspired by the benefit of hindsight, i:e, Had Norwich conceded three goals in those last minutes, lost 1-6 ,then I doubt there would be any posts today on this subject of walking out.

Admittally, I left early, and I am feeling so guilty about it. He really hurt me when he said only real fans stayed. I had a reason to. I left in the 85th minute, not because we were losing, I wanted to stay, but my mate wanted to go outside the ground and get a good spot to see the Middlesbrough coach leave. That was the only reason why I left and I feel so guilty about it now.

Im still going to defend what Neil said on the basis that he was expressing his frustration at seeing people leave before the game was over.He as a player should especially know how demoralising that can be when seen from the pitch (regardless of whether he was wearing a blue or yellow and green kit)I dont think his ''loyalty'' to the club is in question either.Clearly with this argument there are two places to stand. Those who feel they have a right to leave when they want, which they do, and those who think it was wrong to have left. Beyond that is the ''argument'' of whether someone is a ''true'' fan or not. The last part of this is clearly subjective and we dont need the infighting when the team need support. Whislt we are all adding fuel to the fire (myself included!) this debate will rage on. He clearly said he didnt begrudge anyone leaving as they had a right to do so but was pointing out the team needs support for the full ninety (three) minutes not just eighty.

Impatient, Intolerant or frustrated more like, but not disloyal.

Thankyou that is why I left, Frustrated at the fact that we went 1-0 up and couldn''t then finish them off, Intolerant at the fact that we had conceded 3 very sloppy goals and overall were pretty rubbish for most of the game.

People seem to forget now just how rubbish we were for most of that game.

By the time I left we were 1-4 down and it only looked like getting worse which I couldn''t bear to watch.

By the way where was the great atmosphere when Worthington made the double substitution all I heard were boo''s

[quote]Impatient, Intolerant or frustrated more like, but not disloyal. Thankyou that is why I left, Frustrated at the fact that we went 1-0 up and couldn''t then finish them off, Intolerant at the fact that...[/quote]

Ah neil ellis  ! ,

My diagnosis was correct then, first time I got one right , cheers !