Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

The little problems...

Many of us seem agreed on one or both of two problems the Canaries face.

1) We are not scoring enough goals, or alternatively the strikers are not scoring enough goals.

2) We are conceding too many goals and not keeping enough clean sheets.

It is interesting to compare the current top six teams in the Champsionship, with their goals for and goals against:

QPR 49 and 18

Cardiff 49 and 35

NCFC 49 and 39

Not.For. 41 and 30

Leeds 54 and 52

The conclusion is that in fact only one top team has scored more than us and only one top team has conceded more. In each case it is Leeds

It would seem that problem number 1, not scoring enough is not very important, except that if you are going to concede as many as we do then we really need to score more to improve our goal difference, in case things are tight at the end.

We are scoring. Our problem is that the strikers between them are scoring a minority of goals. Until the final minute yesterday they were off the score sheet, and if Surman had been two inches lower...

Our strikers failed to score despite several good chances, including three or four one-on-ones with Frederici.

The greater problem seems to be in the goals conceded. A clean sheet is something to comment on, to extol.

If PL can produce no better performance from the strikers collectively, or sign someone on loan, then he must do something about the defence. In losing Barnett we have lost our best defender, and at times yesterday Ward looked very weak. (I presume that he is now fully match fit after his lay-off).

I agree I think we need to tighten up at the back but there again we play a much more expansive game than say Forest, so rather than those last minute winners we''d be looking at a lot more draws?

Ward looks what he is, a player who at one point had great ability but has now become prone to far too many ''lapses.

I wonder sometimes if we are guilty of over analysis just for the sake of it.I was critical of parts of the performance yesterday, but its 3 points that ultimately counts.As long as our perceived problems are all small ones then we won''t go far wrong.

QPR 49 and 18

Cardiff 49 and 35

NCFC 49 and 39

Not.For. 41 and 30

Leeds 54 and 52

take qpr and leeds out and their is not a lot in it

CD, apply for the job when Lambert goes to a bigger club, you''ve obviously got the know how..... not sure of your management skills though

I''m happy about our goalie position, happy with our defence (may need cover for Leon now though), over the moon with our midfield & happy with our attack.

Thought Chrissy played well today & Wilbrahams caused problems when he came on, as he did against Millwall.

As for Holty, enuff has been said already.