Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

The Sale of Nelson

Paul Lambert said selling Nelson to give him security was a case of head over heart.

Barnett will surely be out for a few weeks.

Ward''s form is questionable.

Whitbread''s fitness is questionable.

Askou is not as good a player as Nelson.B but we have no proper right back cover to replace him there.

In April the concentration of 6 games in 22 days will decide the season and we play three rivals - two away - and one (Forest) home in six days.

Selling Nelson was a risk. It might come back to haunt us.  Fingers crossed and Whitbread looked immense when he came on today.

I think you''re right, the sale of the Admiral was a risk. Sometimes these things work, sometimes they don''t. I think that this one might come back to haunt us. 

Agreed with that guys.That said surely we can get an emergency loan in ?Worst case senario given how well Lansbury is doing surely Mr Wenger could send one of his small boy defenders our way ??

I''m quite worried about this.  We concede plenty of goals at the best of times but now with the important run in looming we have our best centre back injured!

How on earth are Whitbread and Ward going to deal with the pace of Leeds next week!?!?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Agreed with that guys.That said surely we can get an emergency loan in ?Worst case senario given how well Lansbury is doing surely Mr Wenger could send one of his small boy defenders our way ??[/quote]Ha i like Arsenal, but one type of player i wouldn''t take from Wenger is a CB, he struggled to get his own sorted for a long time! I think the emergency loan may be the only option, it was such a mistake getting if of Nelson in the end and i think it may have been Lamberts worse decision yet as manager

he''s gone, god deal for him, another 2 years and at the time we have 4 defenders and only play 2 at a time. If Lambert thinks we are short he will either recall Jens, after next Sat, or find somebody else.

There''s no point crying over spilt milk.

With the Admiral here we had 5 centre backs (6 if you include Tierney as emergency cover there).

For all of his strengths lets not make Nelson into the next Cody - absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Agreed BC. Tierney being able to play CB as well is good enough for me if Lambert thinks the same. He''s quite a hard tackler, from what I''ve seen, as well as using his head to defend so we need to stick with supporting the team we have playing for us, otherwise it''ll turn out like the Forster situation as well as the Cody one. Life - including football - is about the here and now, not the ''ifs'', ''buts'' and ''maybes''....

[quote user="Boyo"]

I''m quite worried about this.  We concede plenty of goals at the best of times but now with the important run in looming we have our best centre back injured!

[/quote]

Whitbread''s back to full fitness now Boyo'' [;)]

[quote user="Mello Yello"] Nelson''s got his own column in the Scunthorpe footy programme......?[/quote]He must have one eye on relegation at the moment though.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Mello Yello"] Nelson''s got his own column in the Scunthorpe footy programme......?[/quote]

He must have one eye on relegation at the moment though.
[/quote]

No ''arm in that.

I agree this heart over head decision could hurt us but perhaps is part if Lamberts learning curve. The be honest he has hardly put a foot wrong up to now. I understand Tierny can also place CH as well though

Actually, as far as this season is concerned, selling Nelson now was heart over head and Lambert said as much. He let him go because he had an offer of a longer contract which Lambert wasn''t prepared to give him. But as far as this season goes, Lambert knew that the ideal would be to have Nelson available as important and capable cover. He allowed him to go and get that contract when he could have refused and kept him with us as cover.

It was a completely human decision for which i admire Lambert but i agree it could end up costing us.

Are we all assuming that Barnett is going to be out injured for some time or do you know something I don''t know?

You would hope that there is the money there for a CB on loan who would turn out to be better than Nelson.

If that''s not the case, then it does seem a little foolish to get rid of him.