Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Drury

Alright, i doubt many will agree with this post will be and it has nothing to do with how he played today as i have no idea, so i am just expressing my general opinion and bear in mind i cant watch city week in week out like i could a couple of years back.Anyway i have always felt that drury offers us very little in attack, he bombs down that left wing much better than he used to and i think under Lambo he has really improved, but he doesn''t have a great cross and isn''t much of a danger in attack- not like R Martin. His defending is better and his positioning is usually quite good, but if he doesn''t have back up he can get skinned on 1 on 1 situations a bit to much for my liking. Do not get me wrong he has been a great servant and ambassador for the club but i have never felt totally secure over him and for me he is the weakest link in our starting back 4. I would be inclined to give Tierney a little go in a game soon just because i think he has a little bit more bite to him and i would just like to see something a bit new on that left side. Drury has not done anything wrong there this season really and i know you shouldn''t change a winning formulae, but Tierney was obviously bought in to compete with Drury, not act as a backup, and i would like to see him get a shout at some point

Prepare to be shot......

I''ve been a season ticket holder for as long as he has been here and for me he has been outstanding week in week out at defending, he''s great in the tackle and is always reliable.

However, to stick my neck out with you, crossing never has been his strong point, he actually does hit a good ball but he never gets his head up before he crosses, it''s almost like he is so determined to cross it properly he forgets to look where or who he''s crossing it to.

Yeah i am expecting the onslaught Rich. He''s a player of my generation and one of the first Norwich players i remember, however he just never done it for me really. He''s consistent i will give you that but for me hes been consistent at a level that is championship average but not really much more.

IMO one of the 3 best LB''s outside the PL.

He has his off days once every 100 games or so but he''d always be one of the first names on my team sheet!

I think he once was Lambo and we''ll all remember Barry Fry saying he was the best outside the Prem when he bought him, but not so sure now, as I said still consistent but not the player he was, but then who is?!?!

Now he struggles with pace and in the air, can''t remember who it was who came to Carrow Rd last year and kept knocking long balls to his corner, think it might have been Leyton Orient with Scowcroft, that day Drury struggled, although maybe that was an off day.

Don''t get me wrong, will be a legend and I''ll always remember him for his goal on the Prem League vs Middlesbrough

Well you said it yourself, Drury has done nothing wrong this season and you shouldn''t change a winning formula. His ability to stop a cross coming in and to track his man is second to none, his one-on-one defending is as good as it gets, and he is reliable in the air and on the floor. I believe he actually has got a good cross on him, and yes I agree he does not attack as much as Russell Martin, but that may be because he can put in a decent cross from a long distance and is great in defending a counter-attacking situation.

You cannot drop a man who is so reliable to our club.

I thought he was probably our weakest link today. Probably not fully fit after some time out.

But as someone said above, he usually has one bad game in about 100. Tierney''ll have to be a bloody good player to oust him from the side.

Drury''s one of those players who you really appreciate when he''s not there. Proper City legend if you ask me.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I thought he was probably our weakest link today. Probably not fully fit after some time out.

But as someone said above, he usually has one bad game in about 100. Tierney''ll have to be a bloody good player to oust him from the side.

Drury''s one of those players who you really appreciate when he''s not there. Proper City legend if you ask me.[/quote]I agree, he was off the mark today, caught out of position a couple of times and some woeful passing... but, he is a City legend in his own right, everyone has an off day.  Tierney looks good and one day will oust Mr Drury.

I don''t agree with the OP on this one, however, me and my mate at the game today did think that once reading were down to 10 we should have put Lappin on for Drury because Laps can swing some great crosses in from that area and we didn''t need to worry so much about the defensive side.

From what I''ve seen, Tierney looks a pretty limited player with the ball, not convinced putting him in would be a good move.

So I guess I''m saying Drury is the right call, but we shouldn''t be afraid to get Lappin on if we need to get a goal.

OTBC

I felt Drury was exposed because Lansbury wasn''t making the runs with him on several occasions.Tierney has come from a team which doesn''t use the wings in the way we do which is why Drury was missed against Millwall. In time, Tierney will learn our style of play. He was much better getting up the wing against Dereham and has a solid tackle - much needed for defenders. His style of play is different to Drury. Drury is generally talked about more when absent as that is when we realise how much he does on the pitch that is not usually noticed; very much a player who gets on with his job but rarely does anything spectacular except quiet solid defending.

Adam Drury is one of the most consistant players we have had carrow road in the past 10 years , i would go as far as to say the best left back we have had in the 35 years ive been attending . Yes its all about opinions and i will respect yours  , but if you did a straw poll of city fans Adams name would be top im sure . Tierney will be a success but he is not yet good enough to remove Drury.

Very few better left backs than Drury outside the Premier League. I''m still waiting, 10 years on since he joined, for a game where he has been exposed.

Its clear when he is missing what a class act he is, Bertrand is 1 of the most talented young full backs in the country and it was clear when he was here what a class player Drury is because we never looked the same defensively whilst he was here.

For me he is THE best left back outside of the premier league.

So what if he doesn''t offer masses going forward? He''s a left back, his main principle is defending. We have lappin, fox, crofts, wes, surman etc to put balls into the box.

He does get forward and put balls in, of which a lot of them i think are actually decent balls, other players just havent read.

IMO he is the most consistent player and the best defender we have, and as a forward player i think he offers more than people realise and is often involved heavily in the play going forward on the left flank; playing lots of little passes with Lapps and Hoolahan and trying to play them into a position where they can cross.

City Legend.