Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Can't help thinking it needs to be this season

Wow yesterday was fantastic and late or not that win was thoroughly

deserved.

I can''t help thinking though that we are riding a wild rollercoaster of good fortune,

great effort and momentum.

We deserved that win yesterday but could the same be said of the Millwall win.

Not in my mind but hey who''s losing any sleep.

We need to make this season count. The many late goals and the numerous sending

offs might not come around next term.

We are experiencing a feel good factor that inevitably never lasts for ever.

We may find this season is our best chance to return to the chosen land for

many seasons.

I feel that we are well placed to make the playoffs and need to push for that

place where we gain home advantage in the two legs.

If we get automatic then wow but the playoff are as real for us this term as

they well maybe for a good few. We can do it I''m sure.

We must do it I fear.

dramatic, maybe but a feeling that I wonder if others share?

OTBC

i couldnt agree more..... if we hadnt got those late goals at millwall and yesterday we would be sitting 7th right now, this league is so tight we are ot nailed on for play offs yet, we must keep are foot firmaly on the gas!!!

I agree totally with this. Firstly because the 3 teams who come down will actually be pretty decent unlike this year. We are likely to get lumbered with 3 of West Brom, Wolves, West Ham, Wigan or Blackpool who are likely to be pretty strong next term. Secondly as you say we are riding the crest of a wave at the moment. It reminds me of Bristol City who came up from league 1 and showed great momentum but lost in the playoffs eventually. They havent ever seriously threatened since.

It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.

[quote user="Jacko"] It reminds me of Bristol City who came up from league 1 and showed great momentum but lost in the playoffs eventually. They havent ever seriously threatened since.[/quote]That''s my biggest fear for after this season if we don''t make it.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.[/quote]Cluck missing the point? Shock horror [;)].This thread isn''t about expectation, it''s about opportunity. And thanks to the hard work from the board, the manager, the coaching staff and the players, this could be the best opportunity we have for a while.

Ive been saying this all season, its now or never!

Theres no Newcastle, West Broms in the league this year, so all 3 spots are available.

If Wigan, West Ham, WBA come down, realistically we are only playing for one promotion spot, along with the other good championships team.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.[/quote]Cluck missing the point? Shock horror [;)].This thread isn''t about expectation, it''s about opportunity. And thanks to the hard work from the board, the manager, the coaching staff and the players, this could be the best opportunity we have for a while.[/quote]Like I said then...over expectation.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.[/quote]Cluck missing the point? Shock horror [;)].This thread isn''t about expectation, it''s about opportunity. And thanks to the hard work from the board, the manager, the coaching staff and the players, this could be the best opportunity we have for a while.[/quote]Like I said then...over expectation.[/quote]English not your strong point then.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.[/quote]Cluck missing the point? Shock horror [;)].This thread isn''t about expectation, it''s about opportunity. And thanks to the hard work from the board, the manager, the coaching staff and the players, this could be the best opportunity we have for a while.[/quote]Like I said then...over expectation.[/quote]English not your strong point then.[/quote]I''d just stick to playing with the kiddies ro? More in your comfort zone.There''s a good boy.

This season would be nice but it would be ahead of schedule which can bring with it its own problems. If we do not go up next seaon we will be even stronger next provided we keep our management team. Gradual improvement will bring its rewards

I dont know about anybody else but as I was walking away from the ground yesterday I couldnt help but feeling that this WILL be our year.

We just keep plugging away and getting late late goals.

I think we''re going up this year.

OTBC

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.[/quote]

Totally missed my point.

My point is I didn''t and don''t expect promotion this or the next few seasons.

However now the possibility is real do we actually need it or bust so to speak.

The results have obviously breed expectation. That’s the nature of the beast.

And surely it''s those very result themselves that will bring the departure of

Mr Lambert eventually. Especially if we don''t get promoted but come amazingly

close.

I disagree with the op, as long as we keep our manager and hang on to our best players I think we''ll have an even better chance next year. We know we have a couple of million to spend at the moment and I''d guess we should have another 2 or 3 million to be added to that for our summer transfer kitty which could give us four or five million quid to spend on transfer fees. If as I said we keep our best players and offload one or two we don''t want while replacing them with two or three players of quality I think we could be even stronger next season. Having said that I''d certainly far rather we made the most of the chance we have this season and bring in a loan player or two to further boost our chances.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.[/quote]Cluck missing the point? Shock horror [;)].This thread isn''t about expectation, it''s about opportunity. And thanks to the hard work from the board, the manager, the coaching staff and the players, this could be the best opportunity we have for a while.[/quote]Like I said then...over expectation.[/quote]English not your strong point then.[/quote]I''d just stick to playing with the kiddies ro? More in your comfort zone.There''s a good boy.

[/quote]I suggest you read the original post again, then look up the dictionary definitions of "expectation" & "opportunity". I fear the paucity of your erudition is fatally undermining any vestigial semblance of credibilty you might have, if you ever possessed such a quality.Cock.

We have to take advantage of how well we are doing now. Next season, although in the club''s plan as the year to go up, may be harder depending on who gets relegated this year. We don''t want to be competing with a yo-yo club as well as the other contenders from this year who don''t make it.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.[/quote]Cluck missing the point? Shock horror [;)].This thread isn''t about expectation, it''s about opportunity. And thanks to the hard work from the board, the manager, the coaching staff and the players, this could be the best opportunity we have for a while.[/quote]Like I said then...over expectation.[/quote]English not your strong point then.[/quote]I''d just stick to playing with the kiddies ro? More in your comfort zone.There''s a good boy.

[/quote]I suggest you read the original post again, then look up the dictionary definitions of "expectation" & "opportunity". I fear the paucity of your erudition is fatally undermining any vestigial semblance of credibilty you might have, if you ever possessed such a quality.Cock.

[/quote]Strange as it my seem to you...having any ''credibilty'' in your eyes is a total irrelevance to me. That''s more your area I''m afraid..I feel the earlier posts (including the reply by the OP) accepting my viewpoint deserve rather more consideration than yet another petty ego trip by you.This is about the long term ambitions of NCFC ..... and I repeat that ambition would not be harmed by another year of consolidation. Promotion will come when it comes and if it is to be this season (which I still doubt) then that bridge would have to be crossed. If however promotion now had been an issue for PL and the new board.... signings would have been made already.It''s the over expectatant ''fans'' which could sink the ship again long term.... and some of us don''t want another humiliation Worthington/Smith style.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s called over expectation. It''s a ''want it... want it now'' society where no-one is prepared to wait for anything. It usually brings with it disappointment unfortunately.If you want to drive out Paul Lambert... that''s the way to go about it.[/quote]Cluck missing the point? Shock horror [;)].This thread isn''t about expectation, it''s about opportunity. And thanks to the hard work from the board, the manager, the coaching staff and the players, this could be the best opportunity we have for a while.[/quote]Like I said then...over expectation.[/quote]English not your strong point then.[/quote]I''d just stick to playing with the kiddies ro? More in your comfort zone.There''s a good boy.

[/quote]Strange as it my seem to you...having any ''credibilty'' in your eyes is a total irrelevance to me. That''s more your area I''m afraid..I feel the earlier posts (including the reply by the OP) accepting my viewpoint deserve rather more consideration than yet another petty ego trip by you.This is about the long term ambitions of NCFC ..... and I repeat that ambition would not be harmed by another year of consolidation. Promotion will come when it comes and if it is to be this season (which I still doubt) then that bridge would have to be crossed. If however promotion now had been an issue for PL and the new board.... signings would have been made already.It''s the over expectatant ''fans'' which could sink the ship again long term.... and some of us don''t want another humiliation Worthington/Smith style.[/quote]You see, the problem is you''re so wrapped up in your own tiny little world that you don''t bother to read properly & then try to redefine the English language when you''ve blatantly misunderstood. The irony is I get as fed up as you do with the ridiculous "I want it now" outlook of so many people, in all walks of life.Stupidly lying doesn''t further your cause, however.Old cock.

"This season would be nice but it would be ahead of schedule which can bring with it its own problems. If we do not go up next seaon we will be even stronger next provided we keep our management team. Gradual improvement will bring its rewards"

That is absolute monsense, I''m afraid.

I can see no problems that going up this year will deliver.Most of the players out on loan at the moment will probably leave before the beginning of next season. they will be repaced by either championship quality players if we don''t go up or premiership players if we do go up.

The idea, which I think lies behind the above post, is that we steadily assemble a ''strong'' squad before we go up. The problem there is that there is no guarantee that any strong squad will still get us up, that the quality players we do have will stay under some belief that we will eventually go up and ''strong'' squads cost money. Money that we would have to find year in year out - on the hope that eventually we will go up.

I do not get this idea, either, that whatever we do this season will help us next season. We start on NO points come August, as does every other club. We will start with six other clubs, clubs who will have money, a head of steam from promotion from league 1 and then one or two clubs who may have changed manager owner.

Finally, if you look who has gone up each season it has tended to be those bouncing straight back and the Burnleys and Blackpools who ride their self belief, good fortune good run etc. Those who have been there or thereabouts season after season usually stay that way.

We have been ''going for it'' since McNally took over, since Gunn was unceremoniously dumped, since Lambert was recruited (sod the cost or legality), since we gave the NOTW a good slap, since we pi**ed the league last year.

Any doubters should look at the table, look at how prices were put up yet we still pull in 25,000 and how we never roll over in games. If you want an example of the drive and belief in the club look at Holt''s goal. McNally catching the ball, lobbing it down to Lambert who got it back into play and in one last hurrah ''we''ve scored at goal'' !

"bring with it its own problems" - well, I think that the board, the club and the fans will happily face and deal with those problems, just let us at ''em

The irony is that poor old Cluck is right in general about the need for instant gratification in our society, and in our football.

But the nature of the Premier League now is that we would be far better off if we got promoted this season, even if it led to certain relegation next season, because of the longer-term parachute payments.

I wish that weren''t the case. I have mixed feelings about promotion, because the Premier League is such a ridiculous and disgusting institution. But the truth is that the club would benefit from the money.

And Lambert won''t be here in two years'' time anyway. We need to hope that he gets us up before he gets his next job. The OP seems to be saying that we can''t guarantee we''ll have this good a chance next season. And he''s absolutely right.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]The irony is that poor old Cluck is right in general about the need for instant gratification in our society, and in our football.

But the nature of the Premier League now is that we would be far better off if we got promoted this season, even if it led to certain relegation next season, because of the longer-term parachute payments.

I wish that weren''t the case. I have mixed feelings about promotion, because the Premier League is such a ridiculous and disgusting institution. But the truth is that the club would benefit from the money.

And Lambert won''t be here in two years'' time anyway. We need to hope that he gets us up before he gets his next job. The OP seems to be saying that we can''t guarantee we''ll have this good a chance next season. And he''s absolutely right.[/quote]

This is my point. Ideally as another poster said if we fail

we simply build on this season and come again next or the year after.

However football is rarely that ideal or simple. Players who play well attract

attention just like manager who manage well.

And if recent event have taught us anything it''s that everybody has a price and

everybody wants to go higher and play for bigger and better clubs.

Hold on to everybody and a 2 or 3 year plan is fine. But Lambert will be

tempted by the bright light and big bucks of the Premiership at some stage. As

will our best players.

Lady luck has shone on us this season and when she does you need to make your

lemonade cos she goes and shines somewhere else sooner or later.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]The irony is that poor old Cluck is right in general about the need for instant gratification in our society, and in our football.

And Lambert won''t be here in two years'' time anyway. We need to hope that he gets us up before he gets his next job. The OP seems to be saying that we can''t guarantee we''ll have this good a chance next season. And he''s absolutely right.[/quote]

This is my point. Ideally as another poster said if we fail

we simply build on this season and come again next or the year after.

However football is rarely that ideal or simple. Players who play well attract

attention just like manager who manage well.

And if recent event have taught us anything it''s that everybody has a price and

everybody wants to go higher and play for bigger and better clubs.

Hold on to everybody and a 2 or 3 year plan is fine. But Lambert will be

tempted by the bright light and big bucks of the Premiership at some stage. As

will our best players.

Lady luck has shone on us this season and when she does you need to make your

lemonade cos she goes and shines somewhere else sooner or later.

[/quote]I don''t feel any of our squad are of Premiership quality and that our best player is Paul Lambert. Without him this squad would be no more than mid-table.... plus bear in mind that under our previous run of laughable managers, the better ones would not have been here in the first place. Promotion would mean spending big on vitually a full team to tread water.... and we''ve been there before and are still licking our wounds.We simply have the Holloway effect at Norwich  and just like Blackpool, without our manager we would be sunk.As for comments about money money money. All that brings these days is a shed full of overseas players on a mercenary mission.... whereas I''d prefer NCFC to build up over a period of time rather than join the so called ''elite'', thus getting sucked into the pantomime the Premier League is.I guess it all depends on whether you''re a Norwich City fan or a Premiership obsessive.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]If we don''t do it this season, I''m pretty sure Lambert will be off to a bigger and wealthier club.[/quote]I''m not so sure.He''s still pretty inexperienced and has a great ally here in McNally.... plus he''s young with years ahead of him. Failure to make an impression next season however and I agree.I don''t see him as a money grabber.

Sh#t, I find myself agreeing with Cluck''s points - putting aside the other diatribe.

This is just a hugely entertaining season so enjoy the ride. We are going to be in the hunt for play-offs at least for a long time - assuming a dramatic loss of form.

We have players who can build on experience gained this season and be stronger next along with PL''s likely cull and strengthening. I''ll take promotion any way any time for the sake of the Club (money) although not necessarily for the sake of many supporters.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Mister Chops"]If we don''t do it this season, I''m pretty sure Lambert will be off to a bigger and wealthier club.[/quote]I''m not so sure.He''s still pretty inexperienced and has a great ally here in McNally.... plus he''s young with years ahead of him. Failure to make an impression next season however and I agree.I don''t see him as a money grabber.[/quote]I don''t either, but he''s dramatically overachieving with what I think is a lower mid-table squad (plus an inspired loan in Lansbury) after walking League One with a relatively decent squad.  Many chairmen would see him as less of a gamble than the usual merry-go-round of tried and tested mediocrities (Allardyce, e.g.) and the prospect of a transfer fund plus arguably better facilities/squad would be tempting for any born "winner" which he strikes me as.... Lambert will be a massive success somewhere, I just hope it''s here and if not then he will go with my blessing and best wishes.

"If we don''t do it this season, I''m pretty sure Lambert will be off to a bigger and wealthier club."

I don''t think so. I doubt McNally would have recruited someone who would jump ship at the first oppotunity. they are both here for the ''duration''.

The idea of skipping off to some ''wealthier club'' is absurd. Wealth is relative and unless you are one of the top six or so in the Premier league you are not wealthy.

Lambert and McNally know they are at a well run club whetre they pretty much have a free hand. No mad chairman/owner and no foreign money launderers. The club has stability. That allows both of them to run and develop the club as they see fit.

When Lambert does go I would suggest it would be to one of the big clubs. No silly nonsense clubs like Wigan, Blackburn or Blackpool. In the meantime he has a job to do here and will want to prove himself first before waiting for the idea job - not doing a moonlight flight because we almost made it or that some ''Burnley style'' gobsh!te comes waving a few pound notes.

[quote user="City1st"]"If we don''t do it this season, I''m pretty sure Lambert will be off to a bigger and wealthier club."

I don''t think so. I doubt McNally would have recruited someone who would jump ship at the first oppotunity. they are both here for the ''duration''.

The idea of skipping off to some ''wealthier club'' is absurd. Wealth is relative and unless you are one of the top six or so in the Premier league you are not wealthy.

Lambert and McNally know they are at a well run club whetre they pretty much have a free hand. No mad chairman/owner and no foreign money launderers. The club has stability. That allows both of them to run and develop the club as they see fit.

When Lambert does go I would suggest it would be to one of the big clubs. No silly nonsense clubs like Wigan, Blackburn or Blackpool. In the meantime he has a job to do here and will want to prove himself first before waiting for the idea job - not doing a moonlight flight because we almost made it or that some ''Burnley style'' gobsh!te comes waving a few pound notes.[/quote]That''s a very romantic view, and I hope it''s the correct view too.  But Lambert has proved he is a winner and wants to win.  If a club came calling with the resources to give him every chance of doing this, I think he''d find it hard to say no.  There''s also the issue of being away from his family here, though at least you can fly Norwich > Edinburgh.Hopefully this is all hypothetical as he has everything he wants at FCR... but you also forgot the issue of our enormous debt which surely does not give him & McNally a free hand in developing the club.