Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

We can't carry on like this!

Because 1. It''s not good for any of us.2. We won''t be able to score injury time goals every week3. The players will exhaust themselves and start getting injured, esp as the number of midweek games ramps up4. History shows that the Ardiles/Keegan style of, ''so long as we score more than them then that''s fine'' is never sustainable over a seasonSo, we need to plug the holes we keep leaving in the middle and at the back, in particular on our left. Look at recent goals conceded v Millwall, Burnley and Reading, ALL came from runs or passes into wide open spaces down our left and with Drury being bypassed while he''s way up the pitch. I don''t have the solution to this, that''s for the coaching staff. I rather think the 3 centre back experiment was an attempt to solve this problem (that didn''t work!). That''s not to say it might not be worth trying again. Worked for Liverpool!Any other ideas? Does 4-4-2 blunt our Wes inspired attacking creativity? I''ll get shot for saying it but maybe we should just go Surman and Lansbury on the wings in a 4-4-2 and concentrate on getting more balls into the box for Chrissy and Holt and use Wes''s magic from the bench? I think our ability to swap from the diamond to 4-4-2 is a major asset because they are very different ways of playing and if one doesn''t give opponents problems the other will. I just think it might be time to start 4-4-2 and switch to the diamond later in the game rather than the other way round which at the moment seems to be resulting in us conceding every week without fail!

The problem for me is that most of our goals seem to require lots of hard work with a bit of skill (from Hools and Surman on Sat) and with maybe the exception of Fox we do not have any player who can often make a goal from nothing.Corners a regular scoring opportunity for other teams rarely get anywhere recently also.I still feel we need a wise pro up front to hold the ball in the box and poach some goals, some one like Dublin would be ideal as he could also go back and defend! What a class act he was for us, maybe ask him if he can recommend someone!Please can we win a game by more than one goal this is not good for anyones health who is a Canary fan.Anyway I am happy as we are safe from relegation now, and who wants to play against all those overpaid and overrated Premier League players. It is becoming more polarised than ever with the top six and the rest struggling to avoid the drop

I think its harsh to say that you cant get promoted looking to outshoot the opposition. West Brom have also played excellent attacking football and have done consistently well at this level. What about Blackpool last year? They threw caution to the wind last year and piled bodies forward. It totally surprised teams. However I think it a valid point that if we are going to continue to play such an attacking system that both our front men have to score because we will inevitably ship goals by virtue of how we play. Being caught on the counter by Reading was a prime example. If not I believe a 4-2-3-1 system with Surman, Lansbury and Wes operating behind Holt could potentially be a more balanced but still exciting alternative.