Sign in to follow this  
sick canary

roy waller

As an overseas canary fan thousands of miles from the action I appreciate the commentary provided by Roy Waller. His phraseology is first class coupled with his use of the local dialect.
What a pleasant change to hear a commentator acknowledge the mistake of the Ref by describing him as "A poor dear". Whilst the rest of the crowd use less endearing terms. Often with sexual refferences.
Match Live on Canary World enables one to have a choice of almost every match in the country and when Norwich have not been playing I have taken other games and believe me Roy Waller is far better than many of the other Commentators.
As a follower of the Canaries from as far back as 1946 through good times and bad they are my number one, but should someone on the opposing side perform some extra ordinary skill then it should be recognised by the commemtator. For are we all not lovers of the game.

Roy Waller may have a Norfolk accent, but unfortunately that''s not top of my list in desirable attributes for a football commentator.

I''m sorry to be so harsh, but the man is spectacularly inept at his job. In fact, he is so unutterably inadequate, if he was working for any other organisation than the BBC, he would have been booted out years ago.

Roy, if you happen to ever read this, please consider the following:

1: I''m not at all interested in how cold you are.

2: The fact that you didn''t get a very good free lunch at half-time is of no interest to me.

3: I don''t care about the details of your tortuous journey to the match.

4: I couldn''t give a flying huck that Darren Huckerby doesn''t fly into 50/50 tackles in midfield with the tenacity of Roy Keane on speed. THAT''S NOT WHAT WE BOUGHT HIM TO DO!!! UNDERSTAND??

All I ask from a football commentator is that he lets me know (roughly) what the hell is going on. Waller has no idea. He doesn''t understand professional football in 2004. He doesn''t understand formations, tactics or even what Darren Huckerby has been bought to do.

I do, however, have one thing to thank the world''s most inept commentator for. His utter incompetance has forced me to start going to away games again. Judging by the fantastic away support for Norwich City these days, a lot of other people have decided to do the same thing. It causes me a lot of ear-ache from the missus, but at least I can see what is REALLY going on at the game. And I''d forgotten just how much fun away games can be.

Thanks, Roy!

Andy, I think that Roy says that sort of stuff because it makes him seem, I dunno, more ''human'' ! Sometimes, football commentary can seem a bit sterile, so he tries to make us feel warm and snug... and he does get his personality across, there''s no denying that. It is an advantage that he has Neil Adams with him though, as at least he can relate to what the players are thinking - where would Roy be without him?!

The one thing that does annoy me is his apparent love of the opposition scoring (as Man in the Stands wrote this week). Last year there was an advert on the BBC for local football coverage, and the commentators on that were going mad when they''re team had scored. Yet, somehow, Roy has failed to pick up on the idea that you can get excited when your team scores!

Allan

There have been occassions when Roy T. Boy has shouted "ohh, and, oh it''s a goal!" and I''ve had no idea which team has scored let alone which player - and I''d been listening intently to the whole match! Appalling commentary, English not his first language but unique I suppose.

Dear Old Man Andy - your dislike of Roy Waller seems to be verging on the obsessive, and for your general peace of mind it might be an idea to seek counselling on this subject!
Roy Waller is an excellent commentator. I like his quirky style, and I don''t expect him to be an expert on the finer points of the game. He just describes what he can see, and he has Neil Adams sitting next to him who can talk about tactics and formations. Roy is a Norfolk man, proud of sounding like one, who loves the club and puts this over on the radio.
Oh, but Roy, if you do read this, you could insert a few more score updates for people like me who have to dip into the commentary at various points during the afternoon.

Well Old Man andy, I am a City exile living in Sweden, and I can say that although there are more technically adept commentators around, I very much appreciate listening to him and Neil Adams on match days, do we really like robots commentating - i seem to remember Brian Johnstone commentating on cricket and often talking about cakes ¨- he was popular enough. I am very surprised that someone as easy going as Roy can incur such negative feelings. I suggest you save some of you anger for targets who deserve it (Neil W******R etc) . Failing that, emigrate to the USA where they did away with people showing any real personality in the media long ago!

I think some people are missing the point here.

Roy Waller is cuddly, unique, welcoming etc - but he doesn''t let you know what''s going on at a match.
The Coventry game away last season is a prime example. For quite some time, he kept telling us that Coventry were 2-0 ahead when a shot had actually gone into the side-netting. Thankfully, Neil Adams put him right.

You don''t know which team is attacking and you have no idea what''s going on.

Relying on Roy is a pointless exercise. He seems a nice bloke and it''s a shame to say it, but he really does have to go soon before he sends us all mad.

Please , Please lets keep a sense of perspective here!! Roy is fun to listen to and when he stray''s from the point Neil can and does step in and sort it.Having said that it was Neil''s idea to take the blanket with them and also to "borrow" the fan heater at Wimbldon, It is a bit of fun lets not make it personal.

Hi, I listen to Roy and Neil through canaries World most weeks here in Helsinki, the blokes an institution, and I dont tend to have any problem knowing whats going on in the game, I think anyone who would rather have a boring, sterile commentator should go and support the tractor boys. Keep it up Roy and Neil you are great!

i''m an immigrant to norfolk and the first time i listened to roy all those years ago i thought it was a joke. I had no idea what was going on or who had scored when the goals went in. However it was the most entertaining commentary i heard in many a year. I couldn''t imagine an away game without him. I have even been known to tune into the R Norfolk commentary during boring periods of play in home games. I''d sooner have Roy than John Motson any day.

*bangs head on desk*

I give up. The people have spoken, and I must now come to terms with the fact that I need counselling.......

SHRINK: Come in, Andy. Lie down on this couch. What''s the problem?

ANDY: It''s Roy Waller, doctor. I''m obsessed with his bloody awful commentaries.

SHRINK: Get a life.

ANDY: Thanks, doc. You''ve been a great help.

SHRINK: No problem. That''ll be five hundred pounds, please.

i like roy waller he''s a great man but i dont understand why does he get excited when the other team nearly scores i know its hard of seeing things in commenty box so that''s why he has neil adams with him 2 tell him who the players are. roy waller is the best go go roy

Yea sometime Uncle Roy gets it wrong, and you are sometimes left wondering who the dam has scored.. but he is Norwich through and through like a stick of yarmouth rock. and I have been more than grateful for his own style of reporting the action. and will continue to be..
He is better than someone using radio Norfolk to get a step up to the big station and doesn''t care what we do and know about diddley squat about us. He Loves Norwich City, I asked him out of the blue to do a live chat Q&A session on my web site he said no problem.. a great many questions were answered and a laff or two was had at some of Roy''s slip ups... Top Guy

Long may he continue.....