Sign in to follow this  
Canarygeorge

Excellent start for young Gunn.

SLOVENIA vs ENGLAND

Tuesday, 15 February, 2011

Eleven debutants as Young Lions draw 0-0 in Koper.

The England U16 team played out a 0-0 draw with Slovenia in their traditional February friendly.

Although there were no goals, this match gave Head Coach Kenny Swain the opportunity to give eleven players their England debut. Norwich ‘keeper Angus Gunn, son of Bryan, kept a clean sheet on his maiden appearance, while Jack Jebb, Ryan Innis, Alastair Gordon, Kieran Wallace and Chuba Akpom were also handed their first international starts.

Tom Fry, Joe Rothwell, Luke Shaw, Darren McQueen and Josh Webb all came off the bench for their debuts. Diego Poyet, son of Brighton manager Gus, captained the side.

Due to the bad weather late in 2010 causing two Victory Shield fixtures to be re-scheduled, this was only the second match the U16s have played this season and they will finally complete their Victory Shield campaign in March. Next up is a trip to Northern Ireland on Wednesday 23 March.

Won''t Bryan be a bit upset he''s not playing for the Scotts?

To be honest, i give up on our young promising keepers, until one of them actually gets into the team properly.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Won''t Bryan be a bit upset he''s not playing for the Scotts? To be honest, i give up on our young promising keepers, until one of them actually gets into the team properly.[/quote]

Haha. Very true. I wonder how many first team appearances Rudd, Steer and Gunn will make for Norwich between them. Ruddy is looking solid, is pretty young at 24 and given that he is from East Anglia I could see him being very happy to stick around for a long time. That would surely mean one of Rudd and Steer would be lost to another club.