Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Corner practice needed?

A relatively quiet evening on here has me thinking about how we don''t seem to score much from corners in recent years. True we often see Barnett get his head on crosses a few times but so often the expectation of a goal scoring opportunity is dashed. In the 70s Stringer and Forbes had a plan where if one missed the other was diagonally placed and attacking the ball alongside. Maybe defenses are better now? Or maybe we don''t have a plan? Do you think PL or the coaches will pick up on this? And will we improve in this area? .....sorry if this is a boring subject!

I agree; our return from corners is hardly impressive over the past few years.

When players attack the ball in pairs (as with Forbes & Stringer) - does that actually make scoring more likely - or does it just appear more intimidating?

I can''t understand why we always seem to take out swinging corners. If the ball''s travelling away from the box as it comes in, the slightest touch takes it further away. Conversely, a ball whipped in and heading towards goal must surely be harder to defend againt? It''s the same with free kicks. Look at WBA vs WHU last week. WBA scored (with a slight deflection) from an inswinging kick but we seem to dolly it up to the edge of the box where the only option is to nod it across the box. Someone put up the footage on youtube of the 4-2 vs Arsenal. Dave Phillips'' free kick for Robins'' header was a corker, we never seem to be able to deliver those either.

Rather geekily I''d love to know how often a defending team get to the ball rather than the attacking one. It seems to be the former far more times than the latter, though that is based on a sample drawn largely from FCR!

I also noticed we take too many out-swinging corners... my only thinking is that we do seem to have quite a few shorties/average sized players in the team and only the boys at back and holty seem to like heading the ball in that situation. That then got me thinking that most of he teams we''ve played this year have been pretty stocked in big defenders. has anyone seen Wilbraham go for a header at a corner yet?, he aint too short...

In-swinging corners are harder to defend against. Ideally you want a mixture of both out-swinging and in-swinging corners. However, out-swinging corners are: 1) easier to hit accurately and 2) Aimed at the back post often easier to get more heads on. I personally I think if Barnett learns how to aim his headers properly we''d score a lot more from corners

The quality of the corner kicks is poor generally, regardless of which way they swing.

I would like to see Chris Martin take them.  He never looks like scoring from a corner and he is the best striker of a dead ball in the team

The other fact about the inswinger is that it keeps the goalie honest. When an outswinger is taken the keeper can begin to move off his line and come further to help out his defence because the ball is going away from goal. You cant do this with an inswinger as easily.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Missing Nelson already?!?
[/quote]Gotta admit, I do! He is deadly with headers! I love Barnett, but his heading accuracy is terrible to say the least. And yeah, our corners are poor. [:(]

To be fair, who is good in the air to score from a corner? Holt, Crofts, Ward, errr....

Sheff United, both came from corners.

We are not missing Nelson, he wasn''t playing, so we are not missing him.

[quote user="zak123"]Sheff United, both came from corners. We are not missing Nelson, he wasn''t playing, so we are not missing him.[/quote] you can''t base that decision upon one game. Is there some stat out there of a corner-scoring league or something?

[quote user="Barnett is King"][quote user="zak123"]Sheff United, both came from corners. We are not missing Nelson, he wasn''t playing, so we are not missing him.[/quote] you can''t base that decision upon one game. Is there some stat out there of a corner-scoring league or something?[/quote]

We scored 18 goals from corners last year how about that for a stat