Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Drury

Ok, firstly well done to Adam Drury for scoring the equaliser

but .......

for me he doesn''t mark his man close enough.  Ray Parlour spent most of the game out on the wing on his own.  When the ball came across to Parlour he got it every time because he had no-one marking him.

Sorry but I still prefer Charlton in that position.

Have to agree about drurys marking, it seems that both our fullbacks tuck in & leave wide midfielders to do the closing down, very evident yesterday & has been a problem for most of the season.

Im afraid barry fry is right in his assessment of drury - The best leftback OUTSIDE the premiership

Hate to say it but Drury is out of his depth defensively in this league. Can''t mark his man close enough so when they do get the ball they have so much space to go into. Drury can''t catch them up when they do get the ball.

Everyone is going on about how he is scored the equaliser and he is so good.

Has anyone watched him defensively in the last two games? He has been bloody awful.

Charlton is so much better in that position.

Charlton HAS done a great job and is probably a better organsier defensively etc. He would probably be first choice as well.

However, I think what is being said is that questions have been asked of Drury by the manager, and he has responded by coming back, working hard and getting a goal

Now look at McVeigh, dip in form, questions asked by the manager, comes back and works hard.

I see a pattern emerging..

Despite any errors, we are looking forward not back and if players keep responding by working their socks off then thats fine by me!

It was great that he scored the equaliser today but, apart from that, he was very poor. Eddy also looks less confident now.

Kent Canary, is working our socks off going to keep us in this league?

I don''t think so. The quality just isn''t there and that is the harsh truth.

The quicker we get Helveg and Charlton back the better...

Please drop Edworthy when he''s back! Helveg is 10 times better in that position.

Great for Drury yesterday to get the equaliser, and some of his crossing was decent too. However, Drury is the main sufferer of the ''negative defending sydrome'' that we have at Norwich City...When defending, he just stands on the corner of the 18 yard box, giving the opposition all the time they need to either pick a pass or run at him. This may work in Division One where the players will not pick out the killer pass or beat the man, but in the Premiership they will.

What do you hear Pat Rice shouting continually to the Arsenal players when trying to get the ball back?

"Get up to the ball"
"Goto the ball"

We should do the same!

[quote]this is a thread for drury. i am suprised he hasnt been mentioned yet so could we have some praise for Adam please?[/quote]

Hay Northern Canary, I told you something, WITHOUT Adam''s header yesterday, I thought we wouldn''t be the headlines of Monday''s Sports pages!!!

Drury is a poor defender and had the easiest header in the World yesterday.  I could have scored that.  Not a man near, he didn''t even have to jump to head it, just watched its full flight and nodded it in comepletely unmarked and unhassled.   Yeah great he scored and we got a point, but had he been able to defend, and the same of Fleming, then we wouldn''t have needed to equalise. 

[quote]Drury is a poor defender and had the easiest header in the World yesterday. I could have scored that. Not a man near, he didn''t even have to jump to head it, just watched its full flight and nodded ...[/quote]

Individually slating players isn''t helping. Drury may not be good enough for this division, but he''s the best we''ve got while Charlton''s injured.

While he plays, why don''t we get off his back, and support him? His goal yesterday gave us a crucial point. And Stevenage, Drury and Fleming are both trying their hardest for the team. You, by criticising, aren''t.

I''m sick of people singling out players for individual criticism. Drury''s got his fair share, but face it, if it''s not him, it''s someone else - Holt, Svensson, Doherty, Drury etc. We''re suppost to be supporters, not a critic, god knows NCFC has enough of them. Let''s get behind our team, for a change, can we?

[quote]Drury is a poor defender and had the easiest header in the World yesterday. I could have scored that. Not a man near, he didn''t even have to jump to head it, just watched its full flight and nodded ...[/quote]

StevenageFan, if you could have scored that header, why don''t you play for Norwich?

Yeah he was not the TOP defender in the league, but look at our resouce, we just cannot afford Ashley Cole or Roberto Carlos to wear a Norwich shirt!!! Adam did his best I think for us..

[quote]Individually slating players isn''t helping. Drury may not be good enough for this division, but he''s the best we''ve got while Charlton''s injured. While he plays, why don''t we get off his back, and su...[/quote]

Oh sorry, I''ll just put up and shut then.   Sorry, but this board is full of opinions some you will like some you will not.  My opinion of Drury and Fleming is that they are out of their depth, that doesn''t mean I don''t support them and the team when they are playing.   If we all just said well played Norwich and everyone in Yellow in Green this board would be pretty.....well empty really and boring.   Don''t attack me for having an opinion different to yours.  It''s not Drury''s fault that he doesn''t mark properly, loads of us on here have been saying since the start of the season why doesn''t he move out of the 18 yard box to meet the winger?   If we can see that then why haven''t Worthy and the coaching staff worked on improving his positioning?  It''s their fault that our good Fizzy pop league players haven''t made a single ounce of improvement this season.  Guts and determination are not going to be enough to survive, we need some premier class talent and at the moment only Green, Helveg, Huckerby (sometimes), Francis and Ashton seem to have any.

I support the team when they are playing and will give credit where credit is due, well done Drury for nodding in an easy header whilst unmarked.   After the game every single fan IS a CRITIC, that''s what fans do whether down the pub, at home with family or on the message board.

[quote]Oh sorry, I''ll just put up and shut then. Sorry, but this board is full of opinions some you will like some you will not. My opinion of Drury and Fleming is that they are out of their depth, that d...[/quote]

Hi StevenageFan, I don''t think you are really wrong about many of our players are just not up to this level, and I didn''t see you are not supporting our team although you said that, but what I really want to say is we missed the top flight for about 9 years, and only if you believe how Wilnis said last season, about "Norwich needed 15 new players in the Premiership", then you should know, we have many players in this football club, who were NOT up to the Premier League standard. How can we sort it out? Did we really have the amount of money to replace those "first division standard player" we had? You know the answer is NO!

Premiership standard player? I think only Green was, noone of them were, but who cares? I don''t care first since we are Premiership this season and we know we need to fight for the places in here!!!

What we need in next 15 games was rolls our sleeves up and fight for the 16th spot.

totally agree XXL16.   However the players could be coached to be better than they are now.  Our defenders all too often make basic errors and seem to be positionally unaware and unorganised.  These things can be ironed out with hard work and proper coaching.   Perhaps it is our coaching staff that are not Premiership class?   Okay it''s a good learning curve, but how long can we afford that curve to be?

[quote]totally agree XXL16. However the players could be coached to be better than they are now. Our defenders all too often make basic errors and seem to be positionally unaware and unorganised. These t...[/quote]

Hi StevenageFan, you bring in a very interesting question: did our coaching staffs were not Premiership class? Oh no! I think they were not maybe! Sorry Nigel, Sorry Steve, Sorry Doug!

I definitely agreed we had so many basic errors and for example was we had to clear the out of touch more than pass to the front, it was what we suffered so heavy defeat at Chelsea, but you saw what Nigel wanted to play his football, pass and pass and pass, not route one, he prefered a better playing style more than the result, so you have to accept that, sometimes we were a little bit poor.

But hopefully we still can find a way to survive, I always believe new signing wouldn''t but team spirit will! WE HAVE IT! WE HAVE IT!