Sign in to follow this  
Tacklebury

Re: New striker after the days of Crouch and Huckerby

It''ll be difficult to find anyone like Huckerby - he''s just unfortunate, really. He''s proven in the Premiership, but just so happens to be managed by Kevin Keegan, who in turn has bought Anelka, Fowler, et al. Two or three years ago Huckerby could have easily found another Premiership club willing to give him a game, but given the slow-down of the transfer market he''s become something of a forgotten man. I can''t think of too many strikers of his quality that aren''t getting a game at the moment. No, hang on, I can''t think of any strikers of his quality not getting a game...

Unless we can get promoted, I think this will be as good as it gets for us. I envy the poor sod who has to try and fill his boots in December...

I know I''m gonna get slated for saying this, but I honestly don''t think Huckerby is a premiership-quality striker. Is he really "proven" in the premiership? I remember him scoring a few for a poor Coventry side, and the odd one for Leeds, but that''s about it. I know he''s better than anything we''ve got at Carrow, but that doesn''t automatically make him as good as Henry/Owen/Anelka/Shearer/RVN/Dugarry/Rooney/Beattie et al. All I can think of is how many managers have signed him, and how many have let him go - they can''t all be wrong can they?

Having said that, he could be PERFECT for us. There is always a market for those talented players that haven''t quite done the business (look at Bolton, Portsmouth etc). I''ll chip in my hundred quid.

Of course he isn''t in the top class striker bracket, but I can think of a lot worse in there! And as you say, he scored a few for a poor Coventry side - which is surely impressive given how bad the team around him were. He''s a player that has troubled many a Premiership defence and in doing so I believe he''s a Premiership quality player. For Christ''s sake, Stefan Iversen plays in the Prem, yet he''s awful and I''d sooner have Huckerby. The same can be said for most of Charlton''s strike force, and Fulham''s, and definitely Middlesborough''s - the list could go on...

Anyway, as you say, all this isn''t really important - he could well be perfect for us, and that''s all that matters.

I too share some of the views about Huckerby, and wonder if there is something wrong. but that really doesn''t come into the picture right now. He is doing a brilliant job for us right now and I think he is just what we need to get us up there....Look what Merson did for Pompey, they left Merson go and brought in Sheringham. to help them get established.. Hucks could do that for us.....