Sign in to follow this  
Ernie

Parkin brought for £100,000

Call me crazy but did how did we miss out on signing Parkin who is exactly the sort of player we needed not just as cover for Holt but a potential starter in his own right for the same money we paid for Wilbraham, or is it just me who was surprized that Cardif'' managed to get him for that money?

That''s probably just what they paid for him upfront in cash. For all we know, they might have to pay another 900,000 if they get promoted..

I think people are only saying this because he pulled a rabbit out of the hat against us. Fair enough, great hit, but Cardiff paid 100k because he was doing nothing at Preston (and was injured) and no-one was prepared to take a punt on him. Credit to Dave Jones. Agree he''s the kind of signing Lambert might have made but don''t assume he''s immediately better than Wilbraham just because he scored a corker against us. Ryan Jarvis scored a corker against Liverpool. Do you want him back?

I thought that at the time to be honest, always rated him at this level. Has a lot more experience at Championship level too.Ultimately though, would he have chosen Norwich over Cardiff? I would say that they are dead certs for automatic, we are mere outsiders, and I would still take play-offs. They are also clearly willing to spend more than they can afford, whilst we have a strategy to get out of debt, and he got a two and a half year deal whilst Wilbraham got a one and a half year deal.I see Wilbraham as a stop gap, Cardiff probably see Parkin as a stop gap too. But you don''t give a stop gap player a two and a half year deal, I would sooner see Lambert save his wage budget for a big name striker in the summer when he gets his next pot of money to splash.

[quote user="LeJuge"]
Ultimately though, would he have chosen Norwich over Cardiff? I would say that they are dead certs for automatic, we are mere outsiders,
[/quote]

Bit of a side issue but why are Cardiff "dead certs" for automatic?

We''re on the same number of points after the same number of games and Swansea looked a better team than they did.

I said earlier in the season that I don''t think there are any teams that are particularly outstanding, nobody that I''d expect to run away with it and I still think that''s the case.

[quote user="LeJuge"]Ultimately though, would he have chosen Norwich over Cardiff? I would say that they are dead certs for automatic, we are mere outsiders, and I would still take play-offs. [/quote]Clearly though, it''s not just the transfer fee. I''m sure Parkin is commanding more wages than Wilbraham, and perhaps Lambert didn''t think it would be good value for money for someone who is essentially backup or a bit-part player at the moment.Also, what exactly makes Cardiff "dead-certs" for automatic in your eyes? Last time I looked, they were on the same points as us having played the same amount of games, and hardly in a rich vein of form. Plus you have teams like Watford and Forest, who if they win their games in hand will go above us both. There''s such a long way to go that I would argue that there are definitely no dead certs for promotion yet, including QPR.

They aren''t dead certs for promotion, but I wagered £50 on them getting automatic after signing Craig Bellamy, so I tell myself that to make myself feel better about their inevitable failure. Please note that I wouldn''t have placed that bet had I foreseen our unprecedented success forthcoming. Obviously I would have placed it on us. Seriously though, Cardiff would have offered him more money, and an extra year, and money talks with footballers.

I think you''re in with a pretty good shout Juge. There''s not much Dave Jones doesn''t know about getting out of this league and if you add Bothroyd to the team we saw at CR i think they''re going to be a pretty formidable force. I actually think the top spot is still up for grabs as well and that it''s going to be a slugging match between Cardiff, Leeds and us for the top 3 places. I have a feeling QPR are going to fall away or at least get sucked in to the melee below them.

[quote user="AJ"]That''s probably just what they paid for him upfront in cash. For all we know, they might have to pay another 900,000 if they get promoted..[/quote]

City were in for Parkin, but Cardiff offered him an eat as you play deal which we couldn''t afford to match.

Me too and I think he''s a real handful and for a big man he''s got a good touch.  Can unsettle defences, hold the ball up, good in the air and scores goals.  Whats not to like, unless your picking up the food bill!

[quote user="Ernie"]Me too and I think he''s a real handful and for a big man he''s got a good touch.  Can unsettle defences, hold the ball up, good in the air and scores goals.  Whats not to like, unless your picking up the food bill![/quote]

Well apart from the fluke miss kick goal I thought he was rather crap, every attempt on goal after  that went well wide and all over the place,