Sign in to follow this  
taintedtom2000

Pubs for Saturday

Hi all

Looking forward to Saturday, where will be the best away pub? I''m staying at the girlfriends on Eccleshall Rd so will start at the Wetherspoons there I expect,

Where will the majority be heading?

Cheers!

I''d recommend that people steer clear of the ones directly near the ground particularly if you have colours on as they''re quite staunchly home fans only... the area around the station is as good a place as any. The Sheffield Tap in the station itself is excellent, and The Howard and The Globe close to Sheffield Hallam Uni (walk straight out of the station, along by the fountain and up the hill) are both OK. Ecclesall Road has loads of options as well, although a bit out of the way for those arriving by train.

I echo the thoughts of those saying avoid the pubs close to the ground - the Blades Business Crew marshalls those on match days pretty well if you know what I mean.  Those pubs close to the station are traditional venues for away fans and are heavily policed, you can add to the Howard and Globe the Roebuck and Red Lion on Charles Street which are just a little bit closer to the Ground (pub crawl anyone?).  You could also try the Rutland on Brown Street as well. 

Others to consider might be The Pomona & Champs on Ecclesall Road, The Vine on Cemetery Road, Cremorne on London Road, The Earl (if it is open) on Chesterfield Road which are pubs that may have a slightly more open policy.

You could also try around Devonshire Green in the City, the Devonshire Cat, Forum and Old House for instance.

There thats practically every pub within 2 miles of the ground mentioned.

I would suggest Zema''s pubs are brilliant to visit but a bit too far away and the beer too good to ensure you get to the game on time!!

As for me I''m taking my 6 year old and going to the Hellas Cafe on John Street - Mythos on a cold day but that''s the sacrifice you make in ensuring your offspirng follow the old green and yellow.

Enjoy all who come to Shef!

Me and my brother will be in the Cremorne on London road pre match, as I like it, it''s near to the ground, and it''s 100m from my house!

The Cremorne is a great pub. I''ll be in the Devonshire Cat and then The Common Room to see a bit of Wolves v Liverpool. Looking forward to seeing the yellow and green take over Sheffield!

The Globe and the Howard are the two main away pubs and they are situated literally opposite the train station. Globe being slightly cheaper for a pint but Howard doing cheap food meals.. Comparing prices to Sheffield is easy.. I''m going to be at the globe tomorrow having £1.25 pints of Carling/Carlsberg rather than the deluded prices in Norwich when i''m back home :) (Sheffield Hallam student)

I''m staying overnight, are there any decent post match venues worth trying out, I haven''t been for a night out in Sheffield for ages (OK, well not strictly true, I did a stag-do a couple of years ago but have no recollection of any of it, although I know that my beer compass was working that night, I found my way to the hotel from the leadmill, no idea how!). Or any nice places to eat? What are the Sheffield "must see" sights?

The Creamhorn (sic) always used to be home fans only, not sure about now. Just round the corner from that is the golden lion which is the closest away friendly pub, but i might try the tap at train station as have heard good things. Can think of nowhere that stands out for food in the city centre and as do a night out it depends, what sort of night out are you after?

[quote user="Marty"]I''m staying overnight, are there any decent post match venues worth trying out, I haven''t been for a night out in Sheffield for ages (OK, well not strictly true, I did a stag-do a couple of years ago but have no recollection of any of it, although I know that my beer compass was working that night, I found my way to the hotel from the leadmill, no idea how!). Or any nice places to eat? What are the Sheffield "must see" sights?[/quote]Depends where you are staying.  Plenty of restuarnts down London Road which is parallel to Bramall Lane.  Else try Ecclesall Road or West Street (including West One). West St & Division Street will provide plenty of "sights" - too many really to write here. Clubbing:Sonic Boom, indie night, Leadmill, 10.30pm-3am (£3.50 before midnight, £5/£4 NUS after)Shuffle, Kissy Sell Out, Union DJs, LJ Freeman, Geoff Ticehurst, Ollie Hayes and Christopher Bibby, Plug, 10.30pm (NUS £5 adv).Revolution,

launches with Beauty and the Geek night, Plug, 10.30pm (£5 for couples

dressed as Beauties and Geeks, £5 for single Geeks).Reservoir Rocks/ Subtitle/ Mode, Corporation, Milton Street, 10pm - 3am.Threads/ Fragmented, DQ, Fitwilliam StreetMod

for It, Mod, Motown, 60T’s Soul, Ska, Indie & Britpop, Upstairs @

DQ, Fitzwilliam Street, 11pm-3.30am (£3 after midnight).SOYO

Saturdays, Sandy Turnbull playing House, Disco and Funk in the Main Room

and Craig Andrews in the YO Bar playing Old Skool and New Jack Swing,

SOYO, Rockingham Street, 8pm til late.Sci-fi Kids Music For Pubs, Bungalows and Bears, 8pm.No Uniform, mash-ups, remixes and other cutting-edge stuff, Harley, Glossop RoadGo Go Gorilla, Surf, Trash, Proto Punk and leather clad sounds, the Washington, 10pm-2am.Brasilica, a fusion of Brazilian and Latino beats, Cubana, 10pm-1am (free).Loft, Common Room, Devonshire Street, 8.30pm-1.30am.Saturdays at the Old House, Dan Norris with indie and indie electro, The Old House, Devonshire Street, 9pm – 2am.Gigs include:Playground Mafia/The Legion/Little Secrets/Weimar/The Revival, O2

Academy, Arundel Gate; Banana Flavoured Dubcats/Neptuno Street Band, The

Cremorne, London Rd; Chanteuse & The Crippled Claw/I

Monster/Skywaters/The Pony Harvest/Pygmy Globetrotters, Queens Social

Club, Queens Rd; Twin Atlantic/Tom DeLonge/Angels & Airwaves,

Foundry, Uni; Fracas, West St Live; Hummingbirds Blues Band, The

Greystones; Phil Robson & The Instant Message Quintet, Sheffield

Jazz & Millennium Hall, Ecclesall Rd; Black Toad, New Barrack

Tavern;I''m off to my mates at the Queens Social Club (and no its not full of trannies etc!)

cheers Shefcanary, I am staying on the centre by the city hall and winter gardens, I think the hotel is actually on Norfolk street, hope that is a good sign for us on Saturday!

There seems a fair choice there, I normally just like to do a bit of a pub crawl, nothing too late, i''m too old for that! I remember as a student in the 90''s I went to Sheffield for a night out and drunk what was meant to be the stongest beer in Britain, I got a certificate! I have no idea where it was mind.

after checking some reviews I like the sound of the Devonshire Cat, loads of beer on offer, local ales and many world beers too.

[quote user="Marty"]

cheers Shefcanary, I am staying on the centre by the city hall and winter gardens, I think the hotel is actually on Norfolk street, hope that is a good sign for us on Saturday!

There seems a fair choice there, I normally just like to do a bit of a pub crawl, nothing too late, i''m too old for that! I remember as a student in the 90''s I went to Sheffield for a night out and drunk what was meant to be the stongest beer in Britain, I got a certificate! I have no idea where it was mind.

[/quote]

That was the Frog and Parrot - one pub I forgot to mention but not too far from the Devonshire Cat.  As you walk from the Leopold Hotel (Leopold Square is also great for food & drink by the way!) toward the Devonshire Cat if you go past the City Hall and down Division Street towards Devonshire Green you''ll pass the Frog n Parrot.  Have a great time!

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="Marty"]

[/quote]

That was the Frog and Parrot - one pub I forgot to mention but not too far from the Devonshire Cat.  As you walk from the Leopold Hotel (Leopold Square is also great for food & drink by the way!) toward the Devonshire Cat if you go past the City Hall and down Division Street towards Devonshire Green you''ll pass the Frog n Parrot.  Have a great time!

[/quote]

Actually forget that about the Leopold Hotel, just realised you are at the St Paul''s Mercure - classy!  Away football teams tend to stay there nowadays if they are in Sheffield overnight - you never know!

thanks Shefcanary, might check out the Frog n Parrto for nostaligia reasons, also, good call on Leopold square for food, looks OK and close to the hotel. Who knows, maybe the Norwich players will in the same hotel?