Sign in to follow this  
Block E Buh

Bid for Brown accepted?

A 34 year old central midfielder o.OUnless its another Wilbraham 75k steal I sincerly hope we are looking at younger players who might actually have a future which lasts longer than the next 6 months.

If Norwich got him it would be the most un-lambert like signing ever. The oldest player he has signed so far has been 25?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]A 34 year old central midfielder o.OUnless its another Wilbraham 75k steal I sincerly hope we are looking at younger players who might actually have a future which lasts longer than the next 6 months.[/quote]

a decent player on his day but hardly "young and hungry"? plus as he''s not played for a while he''s hardly going to walk into contention...so we''d have him for the last 13/14 weeks of the season at best.

[quote user="zak123"]If Norwich got him it would be the most un-lambert like signing ever. The oldest player he has signed so far has been 25?[/quote]Wilbraham is the oldest player PL has signed and he''s 31.

He might not be youung, but whose to say, or "know" that he isn''t hungry?

He''s been there and done it-lots of experience, played in the Prem, all the know how and nous, used to the pressure, knows about the heat of the battle so to speak. Thats something most of our players don''t have..yet. Brown is the sort of player you sign to have about the club, training ground and dressing room as much as anywhere else.

We need players with that experience. Some of the most inspired signings have been those when clubs have gone out and picked up the proverbial old "war horse" for a song and slipped him into their otherwise young and, in places, fresh but naive squad.

We''ve done it ourselves on numerous occasions-Dublin made a huge difference, Gary Megson certainly did as a player, if not a Manager.

If we get Brown, lets see him as the signing he could be, not as what we perceive it as being. I think it would be a good move-and come on, after all that Lambert has said, do you really think he''d then go against all that? He must think Brown has something to offer, if the interest is there. Thats good enough for me.

Shuck you make some very valid points, we all love the idea of young hungry players or the big name players but there is alot to be said for experience. If it had been Gunn talking about it I would dispare as its Lambert I think I''ll trust his judgement whether it is Brown or someone else.

Great post Shuck, completely agree.

Just because Lambert normally goes for mid-20''s players that are "young & hungry" doesn''t preclude him from buying someone outside of this category.

Don''t like him personally, but that''s just the sort of reason he would be a good signing, one of them players you love to hate.

Might be the kind of signing that gets us over the line.

Well put Old Shuck. I think the only player we really have at the moment like that in the club is Drury. He''s been there and done it with us so he will be a calming influence on the players when they need it over the coming months. Holt will no doubt try and be that calming influence as well as our leader but if Brown is going to be fairly cheap then he will be a good person to try and keep heads calm. Players like this are very often great just to have around training and in the dressing room. I''m also hoping we may see ourselves trying to hold onto leads a bit more in the tail end of the season rather than trying to come from behind all the time so Brown could be good in these situations too.

I would be surprised if Bown signed, I accept he could be a good signing but his wages must be huge! Portsmouth didn''t end up £120m in the hole by paying people peanuts - I imagine the kit man was on £30k a week - so I dread to think what Brown is on. If we had to pay him £20k / 30k a week (which I think is conservative) we would be better spending that elsewhere.

Thinking about it, Lambert was a midfield leader, so was Lee Clarke at Fulham - Dion Dublin contributed magnificently too. Maybe a steady head amongst the younger players is just what we need to see us over the line. Talking at training, a calm expectancy etc - Drury and Holt apart, there aren''t many to lead us at the moment. Wilbrahams hasn''t done it at a high enough level and career-wise most of the others are still in acendancy. Thankfully there''s some young talent here nowadays!

Protecting a valuable lead is also a very good point. We can''t always depend on coming back from being behind - it may be exciting when we do that, but there are easier ways to win a game!..

I''m not sure a 34 year old clogger is what we need but if Lambert thinks we do then who are we to say otherwise? If it does happen I imagine it means that Lambert has some doubts as to whether Crofts can keep up his superb form for the whole season.

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]

I like old cloggers.

Hucks, Dublin, Iwan etc

[/quote]

So do I, just not in short skirts!

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]

I like old cloggers.

Hucks, Dublin, Iwan etc

[/quote]None of them are cloggers. By clogger I meant a player who plays midfield and their main role is to kick people. I have no objection to us signing older players, experience is a great thing, just this particular type of player, combined with being old and I would guess large wages is not what I see us needing.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Here''s a clue ''thought to be us and Cardiff''''.............or in other words, they don''t know!

You lot bite quickly, jeez.[:S]

[/quote]

Which are you? the pot or the kettle?

A feature of the champs winning team was the blend of experience with youth.  Hux and sven brought that to us in spades while leon was teh youthful element.  

A committed experienced head would be invaluable and is a element we would benefit from - if lambert feels brown would bring that then I trust him to make sure brown adds to the team/squad in a positive way. 

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]A 34 year old central midfielder

o.O

Unless its another Wilbraham 75k steal I sincerly hope we are looking at younger players who might actually have a future which lasts longer than the next 6 months.

[/quote]

Right now I am only concerned about players who can improve our chances over the next 4 months. Beyond that can be determined in the summer.