Sign in to follow this  
FatMan Fat

Despite the euphoria....

Despite the euphoria of snatching a point on Saturday we should not lose sight of the fact that we now have the worst goals against in the Premiership

Last season we had one of, if not the best, defensive record in our Division and as a consequence we were promoted as Champions. I say as a consequence as all good teams are built from the back.

The fact is we have not replaced Malky''s marshalling of the defence, or indeed his overall leadership and even his vital goals.

If we sign any one before the window closes I would earnestly suggest that we go for a commanding central defender who can help us stop leaking goals.

A full back who doesn''t spend his time pulling his socks up at the very time an opposing corner was taken would also help - especially as his total lack of concentration meant that the corner resulted in a goal going in under his boot

If we end the season with the worst goals against you can be sure we will be relegated.

FatMan, most observers ( myself included ) would agree with your overall sentiment on our defensive needs with the exception of the bit about Malky. Why don''t you just drop that piece of history. Although Malky had his strengths, many posters have also pointed out his shortcomings, and that was while operating at a lower level. Further, even at the lower level, his attributes don''t seem to be elevating West Ham to the top of the Championship. They reside in ninth place currently and among the top nine only Preston has conceded more goals than West Ham. Comparing Malky''s attributes at a lower level to what we need now is, in my opinion, irrelevant.  

YC - my post does not say that Malky should not have been transferred out and that he should even now be playing for us.  What it says is that we miss his leadership, his marshalling of the defence and his vital goals and that we need to sign someone to replace these attributes.

At times our defence is a shambles and we need the type of player who helps to hold it together - the "manager on the pitch".  Much as I like Flem he does not bring the required attributes to the party.

I thought we started to look a reasonable team on Saturday other than we continue to leak soft goals.  Ashton without doubt has strengthened the attack and gives us some options up front. Despite all his "knockers" Holt brought cohesion to the midfield - the fact is we have gained more points with Holt on the pitch than with him off the pitch. With Dammo and Holt in the middle, Hucks on the left and Jonson/A N Other on the right the midfield looks sound.  Ashton and McKenzie up front could well work.

That leaves the defence which needs to stop leaking soft goals, a Malky "type" player would help.

Fatman Fat

You are spot on in your view - both Blackburn and now West Brom have attended to their defences - getting them playing together as a unit - with remarkable results.

I doubt we''ll see another player in here now, but there is time to get the tactics right. But must get it sorted pronto.

Individually, the players have done well, except perhaps Drury. But as a unit. No. Even in some of the early season backs-to-the-wall performances, I think good fortune assisted some pretty desperate defending.

With Helveg, Charlton, Fleming, Doherty, Shackell, Drury and Brennan to select from, we''re not so badly off. But are they playing together as a unit - no way?

Last years team, with Malky, was settled and therefore operated as a more cohesive unit in the less demanding world of the championship. And Malky did lead that unit whatever his own shortcomings.

Our attack is not bad and with Holt and Safri on their way back - midfield will soon be stronger.

For me, we really are at the last chance saloon and must make the defence far more effective.