Sign in to follow this  
Canary_on_the Trent

Player Ratings

Have to say that was a smash and grab, as poorly as we''ve played all season.

Think Lambert got it wrong with the 3 up top, midfield just wasn''t there for the most part but we defended bravely and fortunately at times but thanks to some dreadful keeping and defending from the Blades we got the 3pts. Pitch was poor and didnt make for flowing football.

Not the best atmosphere in the City end or the home end for that matter.

Can''t be too accurate with the ratings as I was stuck at the front with a poor view, feel free to correct me.

Ruddy - 8, didnt have to make too many saves but made a great 1 in the first half and collected crosses brilliantly

R.Martin - 7, not his marauding best but did his job solidly

Barnett - 7, solid again and pace allows us to push up

Whitbread - 7, thought he was decent but went missing for the Evans goal.

Drury - 7, usual Drury, some important tackles

Fox - 6, tried to get the ball down but couldnt impose himself

Crofts - 8, 2 great finishes and got through a lot of work.

Hoolahan - 6. tracked back but defensively he was a bit of a liability giving away 2/3 dangerous free kicks, tried to get us going.

Martin - 6, play him up front, unlucky with free kick and a 25 yard drive that was tipped wide.

Holt - 7, led the line really well in the 2nd half and as usual got the home fans on his back

Jackson - 6, some intelligent runs but offside too often and pushed off the ball

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Having seen the goal again Whitbread was caught under a long ball and Barnett was held off a bit too easily by Evans but credit to him for a good finish.[/quote]

Right so as it was Evans who scored it was not bad defending but class forward play ? or have i misunderstood.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Have to say that was a smash and grab, as poorly as we''ve played all season.

Think Lambert got it wrong with the 3 up top, midfield just wasn''t there for the most part but we defended bravely and fortunately at times but thanks to some dreadful keeping and defending from the Blades we got the 3pts. Pitch was poor and didnt make for flowing football.

Not the best atmosphere in the City end or the home end for that matter.

Can''t be too accurate with the ratings as I was stuck at the front with a poor view, feel free to correct me.

Ruddy - 8, didnt have to make too many saves but made a great 1 in the first half and collected crosses brilliantly

R.Martin - 7, not his marauding best but did his job solidly

Barnett - 7, solid again and pace allows us to push up

Whitbread - 7, thought he was decent but went missing for the Evans goal.

Drury - 7, usual Drury, some important tackles

Fox - 6, tried to get the ball down but couldnt impose himself

Crofts - 8, 2 great finishes and got through a lot of work.

Hoolahan - 6. tracked back but defensively he was a bit of a liability giving away 2/3 dangerous free kicks, tried to get us going.

Martin - 6, play him up front, unlucky with free kick and a 25 yard drive that was tipped wide.

Holt - 7, led the line really well in the 2nd half and as usual got the home fans on his back

Jackson - 6, some intelligent runs but offside too often and pushed off the ball[/quote]I disagree on the crowd front, we took a large following and we were in good voice for most of it I thought, although I was right at the back and you were front row so you probably weren''t in the best place for the atmosphere. Ratings:Ruddy 8. Claimed a lot of corners and looked pretty assured with a good save midway through the first half.R Martin 6.5 A lot of sliced clearances but there were flashes of his best at some parts, and some important blocks. Maybe a bit harsh.Barnett 8.5 (MOM) Thought he was brilliant today, brave defending and used his strength to his advantage a lot of the time, shepherding the ball out of play.Whitbred 6.5 Solid enough but poor distribution and I think he missed his header for Evans'' goal?Drury 7 Solid, as per norm.Fox 7 Broke up play decently enough, but sometimes looked for the extravagent ball when we just needed to get it into the box.Crofts 8 Don''t think he was in his right position today, he looked more wide right and it didn''t really suit him as much but he did his job well enough, and his rating is upped for his 2 fantastic finishes.Hoolahan 6.5 Not his best, though it looked more like Chrissy was at the tip of the diamond  so Wes was not as effective .Martin 6 One good free kick and an effort which was tipped out for a corner but not much else and a few slack passes where he gave it away in a dangerous area. I am one of his biggest fans, but maybe he needs a rest...but the question is; who for? That''s why we need a new striker, Jackson & Wilbraham aren''t good enough replacements to start imo.Jackson 7 He definitely had his critics in the stands, but I thought he played quite well, a few nice touches and some decent runs. I don''t know what people expect him to do when the ball is just lumped up to him, but at times he did do some nice hold up play. A bit tentative in front of goal, but he was the hardest working player on the pitch imo.Holt 7 Not his best game ever, but lead the line well, only had one decent chance where he probably should have scored with a free header at the back post.Overall team: 7. We played pretty poorly all game, but we fought well and kept going and a wins a win no matter how you get it.Bad point: The fans next to me, who were constantly moaning about Ruddy and especially Jackson going on about he was a ''wimp'' and he never goes in for challenges. Also, when we were singing WFLGH after he missed his header they were going on about how they don''t love him and that he should be substituted after the miss. Finally, too round it off in the dying moments they were debating whether to boo the team off because they hadn''t played as well. Clueless.Another great away day, and another great win! OTBC[Y]

Ruddy - 9 - Saves kept us in the game.Drury - 8.5 - Very solid and attacked well.Barnett - 9 - Admits to fault for goal, but not really. Everything else superb.Whitbread - 5 - Poor today with passing and with awareness of his own body. Goal was his fault.Martin - 8 - Wasn''t pinged over to him as much today but he made a few vital challenges.Crofts - 8 - The hero, but not his best game in the position we employ him to play.Fox - 6 - Unable to break the game down in the first half and impose his usual impressive passing.Hoolahan - 5 - Sheffield United did not let him play today. Decision to remove him correct.Martin - 4 - Ineffectual today. Should have been subbed off at half-time.Holt - 7 - Held ball off and was strong presence but fluffed a cross and had no real attempts on goal that caused problems.Jackson - 4/8 - Awful first half, but once we started pinging balls over the top he was electric; could have had goal before corner goal.Lappin - (sub 9) - Opened play up and moved ball about really well.Wilbraham - (sub 8) - An impact nuisance, though would have had a penalty if he hadn''t have had his arms round the defender who brought him down.Nelson - not on long enough to rate.

Chris Martin like Jackson and Holt were living off scraps but he still managed to have our best 2 efforts on goal barring the goals; hitting the bar from the free kick and forcing a world class save from 25 yards.

Barnett was class yesterday, I think the goal was the only time Evans beat Barnett yesterday.

However Evans gave Whitbread a torrid time all game!