Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

FLAG SHIP SIGNING

We need a Craig Bellamy or Yakubu style Premier League striker to add goals and possibly pace up front to ease pressure on Holt and Martin. We have cover for Holt (well kind of in Wilbraham) and a Premier league scorer would be ideal foil with possibly one more midfielder? Brown for experience I guess.

[quote user="Capt_Canary"]We need a Craig Bellamy or Yakubu style Premier League striker to add goals and possibly pace up front to ease pressure on Holt and Martin. We have cover for Holt (well kind of in Wilbraham) and a Premier league scorer would be ideal foil with possibly one more midfielder? Brown for experience I guess.

[/quote]Its not the way PL does things and it won''t happen.

Half the championship would give 3 guys for Holt , Wes , Crofts and R. Martin so be thankfull !We dont need a Flag ship signing as we have flagship players of our own !

The current situation reminds me a lot of the 1988/9 season. Younger fans may not believe me if I tell them that in Feb/Mar of that season ,Norwich were in with a real chance of winning the League and Cup double...we were top of the ''old'' first division and in the quarter finals of the FA Cup, with a great team but were heavily reliant on the goals of one striker i.e Robert Fleck, whilst his striker partner Rosario whilst a good foil just didn''t score enough himself.

It will forever go down in the annals of NCFC history of ''what might have been'' had we had gone out and backed ourselves and bought a proven striker. What we did do in the end was sign Dean Coney and the season tailed off .

I wonder whether Chris Martin is our ''Robert Rosario'' and Wilbraham is our ''Dean Coney''.....I hope not, hopefully the lessons of history teach us to back ourselves with a goalscorer before the end of January!!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The current situation reminds me a lot of the 1988/9 season. Younger fans may not believe me if I tell them that in Feb/Mar of that season ,Norwich were in with a real chance of winning the League and Cup double...we were top of the ''old'' first division and in the quarter finals of the FA Cup, with a great team but were heavily reliant on the goals of one striker i.e Robert Fleck, whilst his striker partner Rosario whilst a good foil just didn''t score enough himself. It will forever go down in the annals of NCFC history of ''what might have been'' had we had gone out and backed ourselves and bought a proven striker. What we did do in the end was sign Dean Coney and the season tailed off . . I wonder whether Chris Martin is our ''Robert Rosario'' and Wilbraham is our ''Dean Coney''.....I hope not, hopefully the lessons of history teach us to back ourselves with a goalscorer before the end of January!![/quote]Coney was lethal in the box as long as he had the ball drilled against his arse!

Er, no we don''t!

Some billy big balls striker who has been warming someone''s bench who comes in on twice the money anyone else is on is the last thing we need. And as ricardo points out, is the last signing that Lambert would make.

We did get a few goals from Malcolm Allen too GJL if I remember correctly, but you are right we were crying out for help to Flecky but it never happened.

I feel this time around we are more geared up to the footballing ambitions of the club and we will get to the promised land very soon.

Spot on A1. Anyway watch sheff utd goal today our problem ( if we have one ) is at the back, not going forward. We are after today the 3rd highest scorers in the league and should QPR slip up tomorrow a win next Saturday will garuntee us being top. You are saying ( not you A1 ) the team who could be top next week are not good enough, when you really dont know if anybody coming in will play better than players we already have as they play as a team not individuals. 

Yakubu was slated as a has been and is cra* on here just a week ago so who could we get  better than that ?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Half the championship would give 3 guys for Holt , Wes , Crofts and R. Martin so be thankfull !
We dont need a Flag ship signing as we have flagship players of our own !
[/quote]

I''m sure they would, 3 for 4 is a good deal in anyone''s book.

Danny Graham, young(ish), upcoming, hungry and scoring for fun at this level.

The downsides -

- it''s his first real season of scoring goals regularly and at this level

- in respect of the above, he isn''t going to be cheap and perhaps not much cheaper (if at all) than a more established striker at this level

- would he fit in with Holt (assuming Holt is first choice of the current crop).  Would he fit in with Martin and/or Jackson if Holt was unavailable?

- would it upset the applecart.  Yes he can score at this level, but where would that leave Martin, Jackson and would the team spirit be affected?

Personally, I think we do need a striker who can score regularly at this level.  We are playing so well in games that someone who knows where the back of the net is would score goals and it would take some of the pressure off everyone else and we may be able to wrap up games more easily and get some more points.  However, you have to also bear in mind that having the goals spread out across the team is no bad thing should an injury or two arise.

Like I say, personally I think we do need a striker who can score regualrly at this level.  But I do not think we are in a Glasnost or bust situation i.e. sign a decent striker = promotion, don''t sign a decent striker = no promotion.

Ask a Newcastle fan their opinion on Faustino Asprilla.  He undoubtedly had quality, but his introduction unsettled the team, Newcastle surrendered their lead and the championship to Man U and the rest as they say is history. 

A flag ship signing is by no means the definitive solution.

As I said on another thread - completely agree with spending the money on a striker. When Surman returns we will have him, Hoolahan, Lansbury, Fox, Crofts, K.Smith, Lapin competing for 4 places, and thats not inlcuding our other midfielders. Of couse competiton for players is good, but we don''t need to spend over 1 million on a league 1 winger who could be sitting on the bench or making players like Lansbury, Crofts, Hoolahan etc sitting on the bench, when they are good enough to start, we can''t play them all and I would rather we spent that money on a goal scorer not trying to strenghten our already strong midfield when we are lacking upfront

Through work I went to the Leicester v Milwall game today and have to admit Yakubu looked very good.

Heard rumours he was over weight and not match fit. Fact is he just has an air of quality about him and is clearly too good for the championship.

Appears to be just one of those players who will scare the defence and score goals.

Basically made what was a decent ish Leicester team look very good.

Can definitely see them moving up the league with him leading the line.

Must admit it did make me think the final piece of our jigsaw would be a similar player who can give us that ability to kill a game off with one goal (although were not exactly doing too bad at the moment!!!)

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

Spot on A1. Anyway watch sheff utd goal today our problem ( if we have one ) is at the back, not going forward. We are after today the 3rd highest scorers in the league and should QPR slip up tomorrow a win next Saturday will garuntee us being top. You are saying ( not you A1 ) the team who could be top next week are not good enough, when you really dont know if anybody coming in will play better than players we already have as they play as a team not individuals. 

Yakubu was slated as a has been and is cra* on here just a week ago so who could we get  better than that ?

[/quote]

QPR play next Saturday too.

[quote user="Capt_Canary"]We need a Craig Bellamy or Yakubu style Premier League striker to add goals and possibly pace up front to ease pressure on Holt and Martin. We have cover for Holt (well kind of in Wilbraham) and a Premier league scorer would be ideal foil with possibly one more midfielder? Brown for experience I guess.

[/quote]

Oi! Thats my name! ;)

[quote user="JF"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The current situation reminds me a lot of the 1988/9 season. Younger fans may not believe me if I tell them that in Feb/Mar of that season ,Norwich were in with a real chance of winning the League and Cup double...we were top of the ''old'' first division and in the quarter finals of the FA Cup, with a great team but were heavily reliant on the goals of one striker i.e Robert Fleck, whilst his striker partner Rosario whilst a good foil just didn''t score enough himself. It will forever go down in the annals of NCFC history of ''what might have been'' had we had gone out and backed ourselves and bought a proven striker. What we did do in the end was sign Dean Coney and the season tailed off . . I wonder whether Chris Martin is our ''Robert Rosario'' and Wilbraham is our ''Dean Coney''.....I hope not, hopefully the lessons of history teach us to back ourselves with a goalscorer before the end of January!![/quote]Coney was lethal in the box as long as he had the ball drilled against his arse![/quote]

Quality!