Sign in to follow this  
65Vintage

Askou Sent Off!

For all those who said why was Lambert letting Askou go on loan to a contender...this was the plan..get Askou off our wage list for a month but tell him to get sent off first game. [;)] In Lambert we trust!

It made me raise an eyebrow when I saw he had gone to Millwall. Not only are they not far off from us but Askou is clearly not of the standard you would expect them to be bringing in.

I laughed out loud though when I saw he had been sent off - Millwall fans must be seething.

They just showed highlights of the Leicester/Millwall game on Final Score. Askou''s challenge on Yakubu for the red card was certainly ''robust''.

Didn''t look up to much today, 2 footed tackle and deserved to go. Probably not the worst debutant on the pitch though, Ben Mee for us conceded 2 penos and was genuinely woeful.

He won''t be up against Dyer - Yak - Vassell every week so he might do ok for them if he gets another shot after the suspension?

In all seriousness, as Askou has now got a 3match in his first game and bearing in mind he is only there for a month anyway, do Millwall have any rights to be able to just send him back, or are they still lumped with him?

im not certain but i think they could send him back, but be liable for whatever was agreed with his wages.

I see to remember we had that with Archibald-Henville i think.

But so much for the plan of sending him out to get him match fit!!

[quote user="canary_girl"]

For all those who said why was Lambert letting Askou go on loan to a contender...this was the plan..get Askou off our wage list for a month but tell him to get sent off first game. [;)] In Lambert we trust!

[/quote]

Askou is awsome in my book and I for one am dissapointed he got sent off today, and, apparently, regardless on the red he had a shocker. He is the one player I want to prove everyone wrong and seeing him fail today dissapointed me.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]He hasn''t done any job this season,[/quote]

more like he cant get a game ahead of barnett, ward, nelson and whitbread.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]He hasn''t done any job this season, out of his depth at this level.[/quote]

agree, I wouldn''t want him starting in our team, do feel a bit sorry for him though in that he had a chance to play a run of games of first team football in the Championship but has now got 3 match ban. I wish they would have just bought him perminately

[quote user="canary_girl"]

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]He hasn''t done any job this season, out of his depth at this level.[/quote]

agree, I wouldn''t want him starting in our team, do feel a bit sorry for him though in that he had a chance to play a run of games of first team football in the Championship but has now got 3 match ban. I wish they would have just bought him perminately

[/quote]

Im sure milwall will be allowed to extend it though [y]

By co incidence I was at the Leicester game today (invited via work)

I therefore spent a lot of the time watching Askou

Couple of points for me

Sending off was a bit unlucky, it was a poor challenge but not really a straight red- that was more the case of ref trying to balance out having awarded two penalties for Milwall and failing to give Leicester a clear penalty.

In terms of Askous performance for me he just flatters to deceive. He didnt really do anyhting wrong and was not at fault really for any of the goals. In many ways that is the point - he really doesnt get involved in the game. He just tends to " hover" around taking the right sort of positions but not actually getting stuck in.

I suppose it could be argued that this is just due to lack of games and therefore he is not up to match speed but I wasnt at all convinced by him (and I wanted to support him today)

On the whole it is quite clear that he is rightly down the pecking order against our other centre backs

On a final issue - Leicester looked ok but more worryingly Yakubu looked like the bit of class that could make an average team get some very good results. He has a quality above most other championship players and will score some goals

Agree. Askou is a decent defender. People have got short memories. He was our best defender in league 1 before he got injured. I''m sure he could have made the step up, just bad luck and bad timing stopped him getting his place back. Nelson is the poorest defender along with Russel Martin who everyone jumping on the band wagon about how good he is. The amount of times this guy gets forward and can''t cross a decent ball in. Can''t defend for toffee and is a terrible right back. I await everyone to get their willies out and defend him.

Askou done a decent job for us last season and is a good bloke to have as back up so I tend to agree with your asessment of him!

BUT your opinion of Nelson and R Martin is very wide of the mark!

Nelson after a shaky start was outstanding last season and apart from the opener against Watford has been very good in all the games hes played this season. He has improved no end, from being a player few thought would be good enough for the Championship to one that was outstanding against league leaders QPR!

Russell Martin too has evolved with the team after looking steady and ordinary last season and is now more than good enough for the Championship. He is at the moment a serious contender for player of the season!

[quote user="coops"]

Agree. Askou is a decent defender. People have got short memories. He was our best defender in league 1 before he got injured. I''m sure he could have made the step up, just bad luck and bad timing stopped him getting his place back. Nelson is the poorest defender along with Russel Martin who everyone jumping on the band wagon about how good he is. The amount of times this guy gets forward and can''t cross a decent ball in. Can''t defend for toffee and is a terrible right back. I await everyone to get their willies out and defend him.

[/quote]you are either purely seeking some attention or have never seen city play

I''ve not seen many games this season but watched the Live stream of the Cardiff game last week. Even prior to his goal I though R.Martin was outstanding the way he pretty much locked Bellamy out of the game as well as getting forward well. It''s a real tough job to do that all game and then to score from such a tight angle after 90 minutes was the icing on the cake. If thats a poor right back then I''d like to see a good one.

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="coops"]

[/quote]you are either purely seeking some attention or have never seen city play[/quote]Have to agree with you on this.  Russell Martin yesterday was pure class - i remember one bit of tidying up yesterday when Barnett and Whitbread both got caught out of position and Martin had to come from right back to left back position and head a dangerous ball clear - don''t think any other defender in the country would have read play so well to do that.  He is right on top of his game at the moment - both going forward and defending.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Askou done a decent job for us last season and is a good bloke to have as back up so I tend to agree with your asessment of him!

BUT your opinion of Nelson and R Martin is very wide of the mark!

Nelson after a shaky start was outstanding last season and apart from the opener against Watford has been very good in all the games hes played this season. He has improved no end, from being a player few thought would be good enough for the Championship to one that was outstanding against league leaders QPR!

Russell Martin too has evolved with the team after looking steady and ordinary last season and is now more than good enough for the Championship. He is at the moment a serious contender for player of the season!

[/quote]

What he said. Couldnt agree more.