Sign in to follow this  
Lambert is King

Zak Whitbread

Noticed he was replaced by Nelson after 86 minutes. Just curious is he injured again or was he ( as some contributors are saying ) rubbish. Seems a bit strange to take of a centre half with minutes to go when you are defending a lead unless you are injured.

Think he was getting tired, as he only getting back to full fitness, you can tel that by his celebration to the goals, joined in with the 1st, couldn''t be bothered with the 2nd lol.

Yeah was tiring and had an average game. Plus tactically it made sense, we were going to get an aerial bombardment and not have to worry about them getting behind us, so Nelson is perfect for this kind of situation. Where a key header or a hoof is needed.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Mixture of tiredness and he wasn''t playing great.
[/quote]

well you couldnt of been at the game as he did play well dont know where the hell you got that from

In the first half, Whitbread''s arse got the better of him and attempted to set them up; then he turned attack in defence by mis-controlling on the half-way line onto his own arm, and he was at fault for the goal.A few years ago John Terry said when you come back from long term injury, the first two games you can get through on pure willpower but then you hit the wall if you''re not match fit. Whitbread hit the wall today. Nelson will start against Palace.

[quote user="CantonsHero"]In the first half, Whitbread''s arse got the better of him and attempted to set them up; then he turned attack in defence by mis-controlling on the half-way line onto his own arm, and he was at fault for the goal.

A few years ago John Terry said when you come back from long term injury, the first two games you can get through on pure willpower but then you hit the wall if you''re not match fit. Whitbread hit the wall today. Nelson will start against Palace.
[/quote]

are you actually serious? at fault for the goal? really!?

[quote user="CantonsHero"]In the first half, Whitbread''s arse got the better of him and attempted to set them up; then he turned attack in defence by mis-controlling on the half-way line onto his own arm, and he was at fault for the goal.

A few years ago John Terry said when you come back from long term injury, the first two games you can get through on pure willpower but then you hit the wall if you''re not match fit. Whitbread hit the wall today. Nelson will start against Palace.
[/quote]

He may have not been at his best today, but I believe he will start against Palace; I think ideally Whitbread was always in Lambert''s plans for a first 11, and unless he is injured again I think he will play, we need to regain some consistency in our CB pairing

[quote user="simo86"]

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Mixture of tiredness and he wasn''t playing great.[/quote]

well you couldnt HAVE been at the game as he did play well dont know where the hell you got that from

[/quote]I was at the game thank you very much, and he was below par! Poor distribution and was in no mans land for their goal! I have read comments from other posters and they seem to agree with me...

was listening to the commentary, if I remember rightly when Whitbread was substituted, Neil said possibly fatigue but a good game from Whitbread and he believed that it was Barnett who was at fault for the goal but had a great game; Barnett also thought he was at fault for goal. Just goes to show how people interpret events differently

[quote user="greenTshirt"]Even Paul Lambert said Barnett was at fault for the goal. Said he got turned. But then again what would he know.[/quote]Paul Lambert is a fantastic man manager, and it would be well within the realms of possibility that he wants to protect Zak, knowing full well the guy had a poor game. He''s never come out and said that any yellow men have underperformed, and with Leon having a really good game, and slightly at fault, I stand by my idea.Seeing it on football league show, Whitbread isn''t muscled off the ball; he is expecting the player in front of him to jump and when he duck dummies it, Whitbread is caught out and this causes the goal. Yeah Barnett should have done better, but Whitbread let the player into the box with the ball.

I can only assume it is a slight knock.

One position you do not change unless forced is the centre back partnership,  bring on nelson to add a man may be.  By forced that would mean having a nightmare game or an injury/extreme tiredness.   While Whitbread couldhave done better in stopping the ball getting into the box it seems he was ok for most of the game - so no need to change.

Hope he is fit for the next game - it looks like a goodpartnership is developing between him and barnett.

As far as teh goal is concerned its another soft one through the middle.  Whitbread fell for the dummy - appeared to concentrate on the man rather than focusing on winning the ball and barnett reacted slowly and allowed his man to turn and get a shot away. 

For all the good play the centre backs do they have to cut out these potentially costly errors - which are occurring far too frequently - the strikers take a lot of stick for not scoring - stopping goals and being tight is the centre backs job after all.  I do think they are showing potential, we should stick with them and I dont think we need to buy another player - we just need the players we have to be more consistent and focused

I am sorry but Whitbred was at fault for the goal! He got caught in totally the wrong position and just ended up jumping miles away from the ball! If he was more aware and stepped back a bit then he would have easily cleared the ball. Barnett was a mountain today, brilliant.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]I am sorry but Whitbred was at fault for the goal! He got caught in totally the wrong position and just ended up jumping miles away from the ball! If he was more aware and stepped back a bit then he would have easily cleared the ball. Barnett was a mountain today, brilliant.[/quote]

To be honest I think they both had some part to blame, and even Barnett was dissapointed and said he should have done better; but if you want to maintain it was all Whitbread''s fault fair enough, there is nothing wrong with having favourite players, just annoys me when people think they can''t do no wrong

He''s going to have a few cobwebs to shake off yet, so no surprise if he does look out of sorts a little at some points of the game. He''ll only get better and more up to speed with the rest of the lads who have been playing the majority of the season.. God I remember when people said he was gone/dead/pointless signing/will never play a game for us etc. I''m just glad to have him playing, hoping he stays injury-free and gets better with each game. If not, there''s other partnerships that have/would work for us well.

I was at the game also i thought the defence were out standing restricted sheff utd to 2 real chances , one was the goal and the other was Ruddy,s outsanding save  in the first half .To be honest we didnt play that well overall but we got the result in the end , i think Zak was just tired and he just replaced him for fresh legs end of story OTBC

Like goalkeepers when CB''s make mistakes they are highlighted more than other positions cause it can lead to goals conceded!

Their only human and often if the midfield don''t do their job they put the defenders in trouble!

This was the problem when the legend that was the Doc AKA, Ginger Pele as with us. He had far more better games than bad ones yet the lynch mob would always remember the bad moments!

Yesterday apart from a couple of instances, we defended very well. I''ve been a big critic of Zac Whitbread cause of his long injury absences but I''ve seen in last the few games that if he can stay fit then he will be a good asset for the club!

We must give Sheffield United some credit too. They are a tough good team, and the game yesterday was never going to be a stroll in the park so to go there and win when they are desperate for points and looking to impress a new manager should not be sniffed at!

Whitbreads inital error lead to the goal.

I feel Barnett is been a tad harsh on himself, he was brilliant yestersday. In is defence the ball should never of reached Evans and it was a very good turn to beat him.

Think that was the only time Barnett was turned yesterday.

Evans gave Whitbread the run around yesterday and Whitbreads distribution was poor.

Howevers, alls well that ends well!

And we do have Ward and Nelson to fall back on!

So it no becomes apparent that " pick on russell martin gang" are back and its zaks turn now! you got it wrong last time with russell and zak will prove you wrong again.........we are 3rd in the championship,sheffield were physical and gonna give us a hard time..............Players made mistakes out there as they do week in week out.Why can''t you just agree the game was hard fought and won,does it really matter who''s fualt it was? Honestly get over ur selves!

[quote user="simo86"]

[/quote]

The highlights

well you couldnt of been at the game as he did play well dont know where the hell you got that from

[/quote]

[quote user="simo86"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The highlights

[quote user="CDMullins"]Whitbreads inital error lead to the goal. I feel Barnett is been a tad harsh on himself, he was brilliant yestersday. In is defence the ball should never of reached Evans and it was a very good turn to beat him. Think that was the only time Barnett was turned yesterday. Evans gave Whitbread the run around yesterday and Whitbreads distribution was poor. Howevers, alls well that ends well! And we do have Ward and Nelson to fall back on![/quote]

Is that Ward who got similar stick to Whitbread?