Sign in to follow this  
Raymond De Waard

These are the 2 players we need to sign

Get these two players signed-up and we will have a fantastic chance to get a top 2 spot this season!

MF: - Elliot Bennet (Brighton)

ST: Shane Long (Reading)

We all know how we are crying out for a different dimension and a bit of pace and width in some matches this season. Bennet is ideal and will chip in with some goals too. Reported that we have had a £1m bid rejected, so maybe get our man for around £1.4m.

Shane Long - superb striker. Great in the air and on the floor, guarentee''s you goals at this level and don''t think he would be out of place in the premiership either. He is in fine form at the moment and would be perfect along-side Holty.

Obviously cost is always an issue, but i am guessing we have a bit of money to play with (how much that is is anybody''s guess?) but i reckon a bid of around £1.5 - £2m would get us Long.

If Long is an unachievable target then Charlie Austin is worth a gamble from Swindon, as is Adam Le Fondre at Rotherham, but i would much rather see a striker come in who guarentee''s goals at this level and has the experience to match.

Marvin Sordell is also another player who would be well worth a look.

I think Chrissy Martin is great and his general team play can''t be questioned but he''s not going to get the amount of goals required to be classed as prolific at this level. Jackson isn''t up to it either. For me, if we really wanted to show a statement of intent and really go for it, then Shane Long is the man to sign - And it''s not as unrealistic as some of you may make it out to be either.

id love to see lita back here, we now that hes quality and will offer pace and power, just having a time of it at middlesbrough. maybe get him cheaper than long/austin

One of Lita, Phillips, Evans would be ideal I think.I wonder what''s going through Lambert''s mind at the moment? He ususally comes up with something none of us expect ...

I always prefer to nick a player from a team that is not doing well whilst their form still good. There are three I like the look ofChed Evans (Sheff Utd)Kris Commons (Derby)Charlie Austin (Swindon)The problem with Bennet is that he is in a side who have real shout getting promotion so chairman bound to want top money to break up winning side, whereas for instance Commons is struggling because in poor side with poor manager who always slates individuals publicly.Our Board MUST realise that this is the time to invest. We will not keep Lambert if we do not get promotion as too many temptations will come his way. We have too often failed to realise that the Manager is the most valuable asset in the club by a long way and recognise a good one. We failed to invest in O''Niell and Worthington and paid the price.

Ched evans great shout, he was brillian when we had him here, I like the look of Danny Graham (watford) he is big a can scroe any type of goal would love to see Lita back though.

[quote user="CJ"]I always prefer to nick a player from a team that is not doing well whilst their form still good. There are three I like the look ofChed Evans (Sheff Utd)Kris Commons (Derby)Charlie Austin (Swindon)The problem with Bennet is that he is in a side who have real shout getting promotion so chairman bound to want top money to break up winning side, whereas for instance Commons is struggling because in poor side with poor manager who always slates individuals publicly.Our Board MUST realise that this is the time to invest. We will not keep Lambert if we do not get promotion as too many temptations will come his way. We have too often failed to realise that the Manager is the most valuable asset in the club by a long way and recognise a good one. We failed to invest in O''Niell and Worthington and paid the price.[/quote]

Good post one that I fully agree with.Can''t see us getting Evans though, I,m sure Sheff Utd would want to keep hold of him and would want 2 mill for him anyway, is he worth it ?

Now that we have Lansbury for the rest of the season, I don''t see Bennett coming in, but he could be signed in the summer if promotion is achieved. I think that it''s more realistic to bring in a proven goalscorer on a Huckerby style loan for the rest of the season, if possible. Someone like Jason Roberts (I had thought of Ishmael Miller, but he''s gone on loan to QPR!). Roberts could bring pace and goalscoring for the rest of the season and could possibly be signed on if we make it to the Prem. 10 weeks wages wouldn''t cost a fortune, but could make all the difference!

Lita could be another possible loan deal for the rest of the season, but would Boro let him go?

I also agree about Evans, but we don''t have the money. Should we make it to the Prem, however, we could go for him in the summer, as he would fit it well with this squad.

I really rate Commons, but we''re not exactly short of quality midfielders at the moment. Would he get in our side?

I would like to see us put what money we have to spend on one forward. Nugent and Lita are good shouts. Would prefer Austin over Morisson.

I noticed Roberts got some game time yesterday so I doubt he would come down a division. There must be plenty of good strikers not getting a game in the Premier league.

Nugent is a good call. Very good player at this level.

I''ve had a look at Shane Long''s goal scoring record for Reading and it isn''t as impressive as i first thought. He''s currently having his best season goal-wise. 34 goals in 154 appearances overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Long

Now i know this has been at a lower level, but Charlie Austin''s goal-scoring record since he became a pro is incredible! All together 177 goals in 210 appearances. Although the standard of football does matter, it''s still an incredible record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Austin

Or how about Nicky Maynard? Pretty decent goal scoring record too: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Maynard

I have also always liked Billy Sharp.

Thoughts!?

Billy Sharp i do not think he would leave Yorkshire Charlie Austin great league 1 record but so did JacksonNicky Maynard is class but been out injured all season Nugent would be a great signing and Blackpool were said to be interested at around £500,000 , at that price it would be a steal.

The only one we need is Kevin Phillips.We''ve got the big man up front in form (holt) now we need a little one to stick them away, Chris Martin and Jackson seem increasingly out of their depth, more and more each week

maynard no chance cost them 3m and sure they rejected 5m from wolves in the summer, reckon we will sign someone we have hardly heard of.

Don''t think I would want to see Lita back - I seem to remember him being ''the big I am'' when he was here before. Last thing we want to do is damage the phenomenal morale the team has at the moment.

Nugent has pledged his immediate future to Pompey so that ones a no go too , Twtd are getting a little worked up about some rumour in the Sky rumour room of Shaun Wright Phillips coming here on loan , surely thats got to be rubbish .

Shane Long

Billy Sharp

Kris Commons

Any of these 3 would do a job for us, would give us a massive chance of making top 2. Sharp is natural finisher if ever ive seen one. Long and Commons leathal in the box and both take on their man, something we haven''t had since hucks.

I think Nugent is a tad ambitious. Must be on a mammoth wage (30k plus), there must be a bit of prem interest. Plus, judging by his antics against us, I''d suggest that he doesn''t really like us. Quality player though.

[quote user="Wxyz"]Billy Sharp i do not think he would leave Yorkshire
Charlie Austin great league 1 record but so did Jackson
Nicky Maynard is class but been out injured all season
Nugent would be a great signing and Blackpool were said to be interested at around £500,000 , at that price it would be a steal.
[/quote]

No, no, no and most definitely NO !!!!

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Wxyz"]Billy Sharp i do not think he would leave Yorkshire
Charlie Austin great league 1 record but so did Jackson
Nicky Maynard is class but been out injured all season
Nugent would be a great signing and Blackpool were said to be interested at around £500,000 , at that price it would be a steal.
[/quote]

No, no, no and most definitely NO !!!!

[/quote]

Exactly; Nugent isn''t going to get us promoted.

Shane Long or Lita would do me just fine. but no striker from lower levels e.g austin as we need someone with champ experience