Why was the decision to bring Jonson off booed on Saturday. Yet again I thought he was poor. WLY looked far superior when he came on.

Now don''t get me wrong, Jonson tries exceptionally hard, is brave and is good in the air, but please somebody tell me why every fan except me thinks he''s really good? He gives you absolutely nothing in an attacking sense (which is primarily his job). No pace, no tricks, no crosses, no chances created, no goals... absolutely nowt. Does anyone else agree or am I watching a different game?

I know you''re all going to say "he''s a striker and is out of position" but surely this can''t be the case - Worthington has only ever started him on the right so he must see him as a winger.

Jonson isnt ''really good'' I just do not think he is as bad as you make out (nowt wrong with your view tho) and, perhaps most importantly, is better than the other options for that position. As such (the lack of an alternative), for me, he starts.

On sat, and in previous games when we have played 4-4-2 he sits very very deep and focus'' on defending rather than attacking. We saw the best of Jonson when he was attacking in a 4-2-3-1 linking well with Bentley. That wont happen now as we dont have the right personnel. Its up to Worthy to get the best from him - if worthy wants defensive cover from his right midfielder (he doesnt on the left with Hux so why on the right?)then find the right hand side equivalent of Brennan.

Of sats starting 11 I can think of 5 players who cause me greater concern being on the team sheet than Jonson - it doesnt mean he is ''really good'', it does mean he isnt ''really bad'' though.

OTBC

I wasn''t there on Sat, but my worry with WLYP and Mullers together would be that we have virtually no physical presence apart from Damo. I don''t know how Jonson played but he does at least have some robustness, although we are more in need of that in  the middle.

Jonson did only get a 1 in the Times'' ratings this morning,everyone else got 4,5 or 6 apart from Ashton(7) and Huckerby(8)

I feel sorry for Jonson, for this reason - he''s not a winger, but he''s been asked to play as an orthodox winger. He''s probably an inside-right (as we used to say), but he''s so obviously trying as hard as he can for the team. That great attitude was demonstrated again when he had to fill in at right back when Eddy was sent off. I''d like to see him play alongside Ashton. Worthy said "if only we can teach Hux to tackle...", and if he could, we could play 4-3-2-1, with Jonson and Hux nearer to Ashton, because Jonson already knows how to tackle.

We certainly haven''t seen much of this ''great pace'' that he was claimed to have before the season started. I remember Svensson sayign that he was "almost as fast as Hucks", which is pure b***ocks.In fact the only really good side of his game seems to be his heading.

[quote]110% WORK RATE AND EFFORT,I WOULD LIKE TO ASK WERE ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO LEFT EARLY.[/quote]

I''m not sure of the relevance of asking if i was one of those who left early especially when Jonson left 20 mins before the hundreds who did but since you ask ....I didn''t - and never do - leave early.

As for Jonson''s 110% I''m not disputing his commitment but I share the concern held by others that the end product is disappointing (50% of Hucks is better than 110% of Jonson etc etc - and before anyone quibles the calibration its just an estimate!).

I still don''t know why people boo''ed Jonson going off before Mullers?   Worthy obviously had both subs planned i.e.  Jonson - McVeigh and Mullers - Holt, so what difference did that make.  I also think Mullers completed more passes than Jonson.   Jonson is one of my favourite players, but he was appalling on Saturday. 

At the end of the day anyone booing anyone or any decision made by anyone connected to NCFC is a moron.

Jonson and Brennan went off for Leon and WLY, and holt was introduced about 5 mins later for Mullers, I think fear was that Mullers would stay on in preference to Brennan and Jonson that got peoples goat, rather than the entrance of WLY or Jonson being taken off.OTBC

This board is a strange place. One lad who is apparently at University slags off people who left early on saturday, and then goes on to say he is a loyal supporter because he wouldn''t dream of getting up from his computer as his listens to Roy Waller over the internet. I went to Uni in Brighton, and travelled home at weekends to watch the game. But I digress.

I''m a season ticket holder. Have been for years. First went when I was 7 and I will be 40 this year. My friends and I drive an hour each way. I left early because of Jonson. Jonson is the new Sutch. Yes I have been pillaried for being anti Sutch over the years but in Jonno I see a reincarnation. I agree wholeheartedly with the poster with the exception that I dont think he can head the ball either.

Why is he like Sutch? Apart from looking like him, he flatters to deceive. He receives the ball, does a strange Cruff turn , passes the ball inside to whoever is nearest (not you will note the player in the best position) and then doesn''t want the ball back. He miss times tackles, or in the event of Saturday doesn''t track his player at all. When he let the centre half for Boro score AGAIN I went nuts (sorry Barclay upper) and left. He isn''t quick, doesn''t take players on, cannot cross. I understand that the Brondby staff were surprised when we signed him, saying that he was good 5 years ago.

I don''t subscribe to the "he had a good Euro" either. So did several Greek players as I recall, but not too many of them are now trying to play in the Premiership.

Jonno is on 10-15K this year. He isn''t good enough. We scored three goals without him on saturday. I rest my case.

Seems bizarre to me, to leave because you don''t like one player. But you were the loser, and I guess you won''t do it again.

Jonsons performances are getting better and better by the week.. until he got injured vs Tottenham on boxing day he was all over them....

he has pace and skill and there isnt anyone better on the right at the club currently than him... goals arent far off i feel..

he is a Winger for Sweden, not a striker, and is doing very well in that position for us, im a Jonson fan and a few of my fellow Block D regulars are also singing his praises weekly..

I cant see how anyone can slate a tryer off, i remember people used to slate Iwan for being "too slow" and that was their only arguement for 7 years...

I personally dont care if Jonson plays up front, on the wing, in goal, or wherever, hes growing into English football every week and is getting better and better and better.

jas

[quote]Jonsons performances are getting better and better by the week.. until he got injured vs Tottenham on boxing day he was all over them.... he has pace and skill and there isnt anyone better on the ri...[/quote]

All over Spurs on Boxing Day? I can''t remember that.Pace and skill? What is this based on? He hasn''t beaten one single full back all year. Name me one full back who he regularly took on and scared."Goals aren''t far off" again, based on what? He doesn''t get into scoring positions hardly at all for a supposedly attacking player and when he has done I''ve never seen him hit the target.I''m not slating him because he tries hard, his work-rate and effort are very commendable and I admire that. I''m just saying he has absolutely no quality whatsoever and if he continues to be played when Paul McVeigh is sitting on the bench then there is something seriously wrong.Effort only gets you so far, then you need a little something else... and Jonson hasn''t got it. Simple as...

I think that the booing was because Jonson (who gives 100% fot the team) was being subbed and not Mulryne, who played abysmally on saturday.

Jonson is a good player...You heard Worthington say that when he first arrived that after 45 mins he was shattered, it''s just taken him a while to get up to speed.

I think that his poor performances at the start of the season have left a mark on him and he isn''t that confident...as for him not having much pace, I think his acceleration isn''t so great, but once he gets going he''s very quick.

I wouldn''t want anybody else on the right wing, and he will prove to be a great signing for us.

End of discussion!

Yes I agree with others, Jonson does not impress me. He tries his best but shows no inclination to take anyone on and crossing and passing is very average. Does not look as if he will get amongst the goals. Rather like Mulryne he tends to stick to the non-effective pass which invariably is backwards. McVeigh appeared to be much quicker and was in the game a bit, but how long will that last.

Ernie

[quote]Why was the decision to bring Jonson off booed on Saturday. Yet again I thought he was poor. WLY looked far superior when he came on. Now don''t get me wrong, Jonson tries exceptionally hard, is brave...[/quote]

HI Worthy Nigelton, I cannot say Jonson was the POOREST buy this season because you know, Helveg was surely ahead of him. Jonson was not the best player I had seen but he played by his heart, or I should say he never moaned about anything when he was on the bench, someone wasn''t.

I cannot really understand why Nigel would prefer a 6 ft player to play on right wing, we know Jonson was good in the air and should play center forward, this is common sense since you saw the team liked Everton, Fulham and Charlton, they had so many big players up front or at the back, to attack or defend free kicks.

Of course, I cannot disagree when Boro score those 2 goals from corner, Jonson had to response to it, but he was not the poorest.

[quote]HI Worthy Nigelton , I cannot say Jonson was the POOREST buy this season because you know, Helveg was surely ahead of him. Jonson was not the best player I had seen but he played by his heart, or I...[/quote]

I disagree, I think Helveg was starting to play well in midfield before he got injured and he had a great game against Liverpool at right back, for me though I think Helveg''s role in the side should be as a holding midfield player, despite a lot of posters wanting him at right back.

I cannot recall one game this season where I''ve thought "Jonson played well today" maybe you''re correct that he should play up front but Worthington obviously thinks he''s a winger as he has continued to play him there.

Thing is WN, it''s Worthy''s bad.

If he thinks Jonson''s a winger then he''s wrong, cos he ain''t. Or at least, perhaps he can play there in a weak league, but he certainly ain''t a prem winger.

It''s not Jonson''s fault though, and as many people point out, he''s giving everything. It reminds me of Houllier''s insistence of playing Heskey on the wing - poor guy tried his heart out but was useless.

But look at Heskey up front. He may not be Alan Shearer, but he''s certainly a good player to have on your side. I feel Jonson could be the same for us.

WN, I''m not saying that Jonson has been good this season, but he had a MOTM performance against Portsmouth when playing at right back,he really was amazing. That was at least one performance when I thought ''Jonson played well today'' - he was superb

[quote]Thing is WN, it''s Worthy''s bad. If he thinks Jonson''s a winger then he''s wrong, cos he ain''t. Or at least, perhaps he can play there in a weak league, but he certainly ain''t a prem winger. It''s not ...[/quote]

Well this begs the question.... why did he buy him? Also, why buy Dean Ashton if we''ve got a ready made striker at the club? Why not go out and buy a right winger?

My opinion is: Jonson is a right winger, just as much as he is a striker - he can play both. He''s just not a very good player.

It''s your opinion, but I don''t agree with it. He was excellent as a striker in the last 15 against Liverpool, showed a good touch and awareness of others positions - LEON.

However, I agree that we shouldn''t have bought him, I think although he''s tried his hardest he hasn''t cut the mustard. A splash out on Pennant, or a real right midfielder would have been a much better plan.

I think he was a good buy!

We aren''t going to get a top class Premiership winger or striker for under a million, didn''t we only pay about £750k for him? What we have got is a versatile player (he plays on the wing for Sweden, I believe its his preferred position, but he can also play striker and did a good job for us at right back), a brave battler, international experience, someone who is prepared to commit into a tackle (don''t we wish others would tackle as much?) and someone who will run until he drops. He has the moments of brilliance (set up for the Jarvis goal was superb) and has been dependable. Now if we can get him to pick up his man on corners...

I think for the money he was a good buy and has strengthened the squad, even if he isn''t a top top class player.

[quote]I think he was a good buy! We aren''t going to get a top class Premiership winger or striker for under a million, didn''t we only pay about £750k for him? What we have got is a versatile player (he pla...[/quote]

I''ve said this in a previous thread. He DID NOT "set up" Jarvis'' goal. Laying the ball out wide to someone who then goes on to beat the full back and smash it in to the top corner from 18 yards does not constitute a set up in my books - that was a great INDIVIDUAL goal, which was created by Javis'' class not Jonson''s pass. Thats like saying the guy who passed to Maradonna when he beat the whole England team in ''86 "set up" his goal!! Which is ludicrous, alright that example is a bit extreme but its the same principal.He has had NO moments of brilliance... where did you get that from?I agree that maybe just as a squad/fringe player buy he would have been okay. But we paid quite a bit (in terms of Norwich''s speding) for him and he''s not been up to it. He should not be in the starting XI - no way.