Sign in to follow this  
Razzmatazz

Matt Gill

Just read the article about Gill''s time nearly over at Carrow Road, real shame it never really worked out for him, comes across a really decent bloke, no ego or bitterness just poitive attitude. All very refereshing in this modern game when its all bout ego''s and money.

I don''t think he is that bad a player. It has to be said that a number of players are pretty unlucky in that we have no decent reserve team opposition or regular football and others were signed before we have the fresh impetus of Lambert and McNally.

Gill I think has probably been one of the more unlucky as well as he had been a captain of the team he left and is not a bad player by all accounts. When he has played he has done a solid and assured job for us. Perhaps the Championship is not beyond him as such, just that we have players with more qualities and younger ahead of him.

OTJ is another one like that. It all depends. I think we will need to trim the squad come the summer anyway.

Personally I think its likely that we will loose:

Strikers: one of Cody or Oli, possibly Daley.

Midfielders: Gill, OTJ and mayber more.

Defenders: JBA, Smith if he hasn''t already gone by then.

What I do find refreshing is that Lambert appears comfortable with making misstakes in terms of transfers. What I mean by that is Smith - he has accepted it hasn''t worked out, he hasn''t dwelt on it, doesn''t hold it against the player and has already moved on in Tierney. Some have suggested this could be the same of MacNamee but that is only rumours.

The thing is right now we have too many midfielders and possibly too many in a similar mold.

[quote user="chicken"]I don''t think he is that bad a player. It has to be said that a number of players are pretty unlucky in that we have no decent reserve team opposition or regular football and others were signed before we have the fresh impetus of Lambert and McNally.

Gill I think has probably been one of the more unlucky as well as he had been a captain of the team he left and is not a bad player by all accounts. When he has played he has done a solid and assured job for us. Perhaps the Championship is not beyond him as such, just that we have players with more qualities and younger ahead of him.

OTJ is another one like that. It all depends. I think we will need to trim the squad come the summer anyway.

Personally I think its likely that we will loose:

Strikers: one of Cody or Oli, possibly Daley.

Midfielders: Gill, OTJ and mayber more.

Defenders: JBA, Smith if he hasn''t already gone by then.

What I do find refreshing is that Lambert appears comfortable with making misstakes in terms of transfers. What I mean by that is Smith - he has accepted it hasn''t worked out, he hasn''t dwelt on it, doesn''t hold it against the player and has already moved on in Tierney. Some have suggested this could be the same of MacNamee but that is only rumours.

The thing is right now we have too many midfielders and possibly too many in a similar mold.[/quote]Couldn''t agree more with all of that Chicken. [Y]It''s interesting what you say over Lambert not being afraid to make a mistake. You''re average football fan may highlight that the mistake in the first case is a sign of imperfection, but frankly the game is so volatile, that for whatever reason, a purely rational decision in the market can make an unprecedented turn for the worse. Only by conceding a mistake was made can the effects of one be halted.It''s actually a sign of how good Lambert is that he can backtrack, for in his profession, humbleness is a positive character trait, and stubbornness has formed the downfall of many a manager in the game, no matter how good they may be in the market. Glenn Roeders stubbornness over the Bell scenario (as one example of however many others of him being stubborn) for one is comparable to the current Smith scenario as a complete opposite. That is, despite Bells inability to settle into the club, and his wanting out, Glenn, under his rule, would not see him exit the club, and only til'' Gunn came in did he leave, as the situation rightly called for (not saying Gunn was a decent manager by any means though - only that on some level he could understand what Roeder couldn''t).It signals poor man management, and attention to the morale of the squad, stubbornness, while it does in fact damage the well being of the club in the long run. Bell and Smith are two very decent players, and both prudent purchases on face value. However, factors like ''not having settled'' are unforeseen circumstances that no manager can rightfully expect. Conceding a mistake may have been made in this department is therefor, in my opinion, a sign of a manager closer to perfection than one who is entirely prudent, but also stubborn.Amen to Lambert, the fella knows what he''s doing.

Gill is part of that conveyor belt callled ''improving your squad''. He came in at the time when he was needed and is about to get off as the squad markedly improves very rapidly. Having done his bit on our upward climb.

I always loved the fact that he said he would have walked from Exeter to sign for us. Always liked him for that.Thought he was very steady when he got his chances and would have hoped he;d have been able to get a bit more game time. As people have said, our team is so much better than it was when he signed and I will wish him well wherever he goes now.

I wish the guy the best really. Seems like a good pro and I know some people dont really think hes very good but whenever I have seen him apart from the 7-1 game he has always put in a half descent performance even this season ont he few occasions he has come on as a sub

I wish him the best too. Seems like a good character and by all accounts a good guy to have around the place. However, in terms of quiality I disagree with some of the comments above as i really don''t rate him. The only decent games I saw him play was Palace away in pre-season and Bristol Rovers away. Other than that whenever he''s featured he''s looked lightweight and ineffective to me.

The step up in quality Lambert has achieved with certain areas of the squad is clear to see. He obviously knew that the centre back department and the midfield needed a virtually complete overhaul and he has achieved that admirably.

He seems like a good guy and a decent ish footballer but he just never really looked like he was going to be good enough for us.

I suspect if we had him and players of a similar ability in our regular starting 11 then we''d probably be near the bottom of League 1 than near the top of the Championship.

When he came on against QPR for a few minutes the other day he couldn''t really get near them, infact I don''t think he won any ball he had to challenge for. Fair enough they''re a good side but he had fresh legs and still looked 2 or 3 yards too slow.