Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

In Support Of Sian Massey

I feel really sorry for the lady.

She has obviously passed all the stringent tests required to officiate at the level of assistant Referee in the Premier League.

And, whatsmore got the big decison - the ''offside that wasn''t'' when Liverpool scored against Wolves - absolutely correct.

Due to a ''Super Pundit'' (a real life nobody) making snide remarks she has been taken out of her last nights appointment and now I''m sure she will have the cameras watching her every move. She doesn''t deserve this, she has dipped out due to the action of another.

The sooner some dinosaurs realise men do not have the monopoly on everything the better.

Good luck Sian, and I hope things return to some form of normality for you soon.

I was just thinking the same thing. I hope fans give her the respect she is due, the sacking of Andy Gray in reality has nothing to do with her as an individual.

A clue to "why now " can be seen from this snippet from Daily Mail online.

"Gray is currently involved in a high-profile case against the News Of The World involving allegations of hacking into his voicemail. The newspaper is owned by News International whose parent company holds a 39 per cent share in Sky and is involved in a controversial bid to buy-out all the shares of the TV company"

HRH

Yep, absolutely agree. It seems a tad unfair to remove her from a game for something she had absolutley no control over. And, to be frank, Crewe V Bradford on a Tuesday night is not the most hostile crowd she will ever face either, the locals up here are a very tolerant bunch for the most part. Was probably an ideal game for her to officiate at in truth.

You can''t fail to be impressed with her multitasking skills.[:)][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/167634_1733567611372_1003992280_1899877_797374_n.jpg[/IMG]

She was stood down because of the huge media presence expected for the game and the fact they were only their to watch her and it would have taken away from the game not to protect her from a hostile crowd

[quote user="morty"]You can''t fail to be impressed with her multitasking skills.

[:)]

[IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/167634_1733567611372_1003992280_1899877_797374_n.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

At times like this Morty i am glad to be a technophobe with this photobucket or whatever it is called.[:D]

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

She has obviously passed all the stringent tests required to officiate at the level of assistant Referee in the Premier League.

And, whatsmore got the big decison - the ''offside that wasn''t'' when Liverpool scored against Wolves - absolutely correct.

Due to a ''Super Pundit'' (a real life nobody) making snide remarks she has been taken out of her last nights appointment and now I''m sure she will have the cameras watching her every move. She doesn''t deserve this, she has dipped out due to the action of another.

The sooner some dinosaurs realise men do not have the monopoly on everything the better.

Good luck Sian, and I hope things return to some form of normality for you soon.

[/quote]

Fully agree. Whoever it was who placed the content of a private conversation into the public domain has alot to answer for.

I drove my 13 year old to school this morning and we discussed the Andy Gray issue as it was on the news. My football mad son is a bright enough lad but struggled to see what all the fuss is about. (Regarding the microphone down the trousers): ''But he was only joking wasn''t he Dad?''

It seems we now have a need to explain all this political correctness. People attitudes towards so many things have changed; I ackowledge and respect that. But I still prefer male commentators and officials - I don''t think that makes me a dinosaur - I just prefer it.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

I drove my 13 year old to school this morning and we discussed the Andy Gray issue as it was on the news. My football mad son is a bright enough lad but struggled to see what all the fuss is about. (Regarding the microphone down the trousers): ''But he was only joking wasn''t he Dad?''

It seems we now have a need to explain all this political correctness. People attitudes towards so many things have changed; I ackowledge and respect that. But I still prefer male commentators and officials - I don''t think that makes me a dinosaur - I just prefer it.

[/quote]

Fair points, well made. The voice of reason ........ we can''t have that on here can we ? Is that allowed ? Someone talking plain, reasonable commonsense. Blimey, there should be a law against it. If there isn''t one now, there soon will be.

Storm in a teacup IMHO. I think this over-reaction is doing nothing but heaping more pressure on the girl. There''s such a thing as being patronising.

This is not a pop at the OP, just the whole story in general

The worlds gone mad, it really has.

A private conversation between 2 male friends has cost somebody their career. If it was said on air then fair enough, he had to go. They are saying the sacking is now for the other comment he made....did Charlotte make a complaint against him? I haven''t seen anything. Was she offended ? I doubt it. Its banter between work colleagues. The person who is in the wrong here is the person who is leaking the info to the papers and the papers for printing private conversations.

Sian Massey will always have the camera''s following regardless of recent events because she is a female official and they are very very rare in a male dominant sport.

I agree with the poster above. It will be a sad sad day when I have to spend a Saturday night watching MoTD and FLS with more and more female commentators. Its not being sexist, it just doesn''t sound right.

[quote user="Duffman"]The worlds gone mad, it really has.

A private conversation between 2 male friends has cost somebody their career. If it was said on air then fair enough, he had to go. They are saying the sacking is now for the other comment he made....did Charlotte make a complaint against him? I haven''t seen anything. Was she offended ? I doubt it. Its banter between work colleagues. The person who is in the wrong here is the person who is leaking the info to the papers and the papers for printing private conversations.

Sian Massey will always have the camera''s following regardless of recent events because she is a female official and they are very very rare in a male dominant sport.

I agree with the poster above. It will be a sad sad day when I have to spend a Saturday night watching MoTD and FLS with more and more female commentators. Its not being sexist, it just doesn''t sound right.[/quote]Completely agree!And whilst I don''t think that offensive behaviour should be swept under the carpet, I believe that the utterly un-necessary fuss made about all this is actually making things worse for the woman.This is either all a case of people desperately trying to be seen as doing the right thing and say "Look at me, I''m really politically correct" or they wanted shot of Gray, for one of many reasons if you believe the conspiracy theories!

I don''t get the fuss on either side. Sian Massey did a very good job (Scrubs up alright too by the pics in the paper) Andy Gray was just joking messing about with a pal he has know for a very long time. Blimey some of the stuff i shout at home games is 10 times worse than a joke about a female lino! Mountain out of a mole hill really,

[quote user="Lord Farqaard"]I don''t get the fuss on either side. Sian Massey did a very good job (Scrubs up alright too by the pics in the paper) Andy Gray was just joking messing about with a pal he has know for a very long time. Blimey some of the stuff i shout at home games is 10 times worse than a joke about a female lino! Mountain out of a mole hill really,[/quote]

Has she got nice tits Lord?[;)]

[/quote]

Just a thought, but I''m not sure you are allowed to refer to a woman as a lady these days. I''m uncertain because what is and what isn''t PC acceptable  changes on a weekly basis but just thought I should give you the heads up.

[/quote]

[:)][Y]

Well said Mr W - as a ref myself, which I believe you are also, the rigours of doing any game at any level are enough to challenge anyone at times, let alone being a viewed as a ''minority'' official and ''discredited'' when getting a decision spot on.

My gripe with Andy Gray, is not so much his comments or his manner, I''ve wanted him gone for years as he clearly does not understand the rules of the game himself and hits at ANY official.

I would like to see him referee a football match and get every decision right on the basis of one look and no more than a second or two to think about it - it''s hard enough at Saturday and Sunday league level, let alone the Premier League.

I''m glad he''s gone for that reason alone - now someone please pass the cake.......

[/quote]

That sounds so patronising to me.  I reckon in the next few weeks now, after Sian gets no end of stick.  A certain number of males will be queuing up to defend defend her, even when she''ll eventually get something wrong.  She''ll be afforded a fee pass for certain length of time just because.... 

Whilst not overly fussed, having female referee''s/linesman in a mens game is a little weird, but int he age of equality and evens I don''t see why it has to be such an issue. As long as they do a good job, I don''t care if they are black or white, male or female. So far, she''s doing a much better job than a lot of linesman have over the past, I don''t think she made one mistake all game, good on her!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I would also like to endorse the OP.[/quote]

She hardly needs anybody to defend her. She knew what she was doing when she trained to be an assistant referee in a game played by men (i.e. the Premiership and Football league) and for the mainpart supported by men. She knew she would have to run the line and be the subject of all sorts of comments, most if not all of them aimed in good humour. And, fair play to her for that. She''s clearly a strong-willed, determined and very capable woman so I very much doubt that she needs anybody to jump to her defenceblow her trumpet for her or, indeed, wring their hands in sympathy murmuring "Good luck Sian I hope things return to some form of normality soon". 

But it''s nonsense to state that  :

"Due to a ''Super Pundit'' (a real life nobody) making snide remarks she has been taken out of her last nights appointment and now I''m sure she will have the cameras watching her every move. She doesn''t deserve this, she has dipped out due to the action of another."

because your so-called super pundit never intended the remarks to be made public, somebody else did that for him with their own agenda. So, blame the "whistle blower" and all the idiots who have made so much fuss, not Gray, for the ridiculous furore that followed and which resulted in Sian Massey being withdrawn from last night''s game.

Does anyone remember the Derby away game earlier this season in which she was assistant in. I remember looking at officials appointed thinking oh no. But when it got to the game she was very assured, and in fact it was the male assistant on the other side who seemed to be a complete t0sser

Three* very quick points as it seems the ''PC gone mad, this country is going to the dogs'' brigade are out in full force.

1. This was not ''a private conversation''. The comments were made in the workplace and therefore Sky have the right to deal with them as their employers. If I was caught having ''a private conversation'' with a work colleague about my female team leader and gave the opinion that she was unsuitable for the role as ''she''s probably thinking about shoes all of the time'' it would be frowned upon. If I had already received a warning about such behaviour and it affected my ability to do my job** then I could well lose my job.

2. The ''Banter Defence'' does not work here because Sian Massey was not involved in this conversation. If Gray, Keys and Massey were sat around a table taking the piss out of each other and one of them overstepped the line then you could reasonably pass this off as banter. Gray and Keys did not intend for anybody else to hear this and their tone in the recording is definitely not humourous.

3. This has nothing to do with political correctness and anybody who mentions it is clearly missing the point. Andy Gray and Richard Keys believe that women can''t possibly understand the offside law (or any other football laws as Wendy Toms was useless because she was a woman too). Rather than piss and moan about political correctness why don''t you try and back up their views with some facts? 

* OK it was four [:D]

** Nobody who had listened to these comments could take any criticism of a female official by Andy Gray seriously in the future

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Three* very quick points as it seems the ''PC gone mad, this country is going to the dogs'' brigade are out in full force.

1. This was not ''a private conversation''. The comments were made in the workplace and therefore Sky have the right to deal with them as their employers. If I was caught having ''a private conversation'' with a work colleague about my female team leader and gave the opinion that she was unsuitable for the role as ''she''s probably thinking about shoes all of the time'' it would be frowned upon. If I had already received a warning about such behaviour and it affected my ability to do my job** then I could well lose my job.

2. The ''Banter Defence'' does not work here because Sian Massey was not involved in this conversation. If Gray, Keys and Massey were sat around a table taking the piss out of each other and one of them overstepped the line then you could reasonably pass this off as banter. Gray and Keys did not intend for anybody else to hear this and their tone in the recording is definitely not humourous.

3. This has nothing to do with political correctness and anybody who mentions it is clearly missing the point. Andy Gray and Richard Keys believe that women can''t possibly understand the offside law (or any other football laws as Wendy Toms was useless because she was a woman too). Rather than piss and moan about political correctness why don''t you try and back up their views with some facts? 

* OK it was four [:D]

** Nobody who had listened to these comments could take any criticism of a female official by Andy Gray seriously in the future

[/quote]You''re the only one who''s mentioned it.[:)]All I''m saying is, if you want equality.  The other side of the coin is,  women don''t need patronising if they do the job well.  I mean if she turns out to be a top 10 lino, she''s a ''top 10 lino''.  Not a ''top 10 lino bless her she''s done god for a woman''.