Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

Are we done in this window?

Do people think we''ve seen all the players we''re going to see join us in this transfer window? I think the rumours coming out are fueled by what the Chairman said after the AGM. Yes some are wild but i think its natural for people to aim high, even if its unrealistic. If this is all we get, i for one will be a little disapointed. Yes we''ve done fantastically well so far with the squad we have, but we can all see areas where we could do with some quality additions. With the board realising the unique oppotunity we find ourselves in, i think it would be an injustice to the club, the manager and to the fans for them not to try and support Lamberts plans.

I think that Bennet would have been the final signing but we underestimated Brighton''s resolve to retain him.

I can''t see any more faces coming in ... which is a huge shame because I genuinely think that we are one quality striker from winning the league.

I''m sure we will find out more at the press conference tomorrow morning. If we have the money to buy Bennett, I''m sure Lambert is still looking for someone as I can''t see him just sitting on the cash. The Jan transfer window is an expensive time to buy players though so wouldn''t be surprised to see another loanee or two coming in through the door.

I think that we have finished.

I am disappointed that we couldn''t offer Brighton enough to prise out Bennett, but perhaps they are wanting silly money, as they need him for their promotion. (We may be playing against them next season!)

I am disappointed, too, that we have not really strengthened our squad. We had Bennett before, on loan, Wlbraham could turn out to be not one of PL''s best singings and Tierney is no better than Drury and sits on the bench for the moment.

Yes, I am disappointed in that we do not seem to have "gone for it" and with other top teams strengthening their squads our chances may be reduced..

But the club are probaly right - we have little money, and in the summer may be able to sign better players as Bosmans.

We have strengthend the squad in one sense - that we have cover in virtually all positions now.

We have not been ripped off by Brighton into buying a player who may or may not be able to do something in the Championship. We have already signed MacNamee, who does not seem to be able to make a mark in this division.

All in all I shall be disappointed if we sign no further players, as I think that we need more skill in some positions, but this is tempered by the thought that January signings tend to be expensive because others know of your desperation and also have to find a replacement and also by the thought that strengthening will be easier in the summer.

I don''t think we have finished yet, still wouldn''t be suprised if we get Bennett. You often find that such situations go to deadline day and I wouldn''t be surprised to see Bennett unveiled about five to five on Monday.

Not so sure it seems to have gone very quiet on Bennett , even the Brighton forums and newspapers are not giving it a mention now.

The problem with the Bennett deal will clearly be there chairman. He is trying to seell season tickets for their new stadium and they are top of the league and they are not going to want to be seen to be selling their best players at a crucial time. He will be holding out for big money if prepared to sell at all. I would be amazed though if we don''t bring in at least one more player with our rivals having all strengthened and given Bowkett''s comments.

As an aside there has not been much media coverage of it but having spent a bit of time on the Brighton messageboards in the last couple of weeks monitoring the Bennett situation i am staggered at the extent that their owner/chairman is supposedly bankrolling them down there. He has apparently already lent them the £90 million for the stadium, interest free with no repayments due until 2023 and today has announced he''s personally funding a new £15 million training ground for them. Given that the only valuation of his wealth I have seen had him at £50 million and he appears to make a lot of his money from professional poker playing it all seems a bit strange and almost too good to be true - I am surprised it has not been subject to some close scrutiny from the powers that be as it seeems staggering that one 39 year old bloke can somehow lay his hands on and spare 110 million quid!

January buys always strike me as either "we want that player and money is no object" buys, or "we''ll take that player you''re offloading, in the hopes they come good" buys.  Unlike Ipswich, we don''t need a Jimmy Bullard who may or may not come good / avoid injury.  And I''d argue that the players that might make a difference are loanable after the window has closed - a couple of  players from Premiership clubs who want to get minutes like Lansbury, might be a better way forward than 1 million plus on a player who is too good for league 1, but might not cut it in the league above, and who hasn''t won a league.  And before anyone says I am not advocating a return to "a team full of loons".

He must be an excellent poker player if he can get someone to build 15 millions worth of training ground with that background..."Have you got the money ?""Course I have""You sure ?""Yep.""Ok then..."

I don''t think we are done yet but, I don''t think we will get another permanent signing in.  I think the Bennett deal has fallen through somewhere and now Lambert will get in another loan which will hopefully be a striker.

I''m not dissapointed we haven''t signed Bennett anyway.  I know he is supposed to be a really good player but we have plenty of midfielders who are capable of getting us promoted and how does Bennett fit in with Hoolahan, Lansbury and Surman?  We badly need another striker and if we are going to go after one big signing this window then I''m very dissapointed we didn''t go for a quality striker.