Sign in to follow this  
Ernie

Trimming the squad

If we were to get in a striker and a winger I would like to see us trim the squad (which I believe Lambert is/will do).  We have 34 proffessional players including one on loan at the club and I dont see the point in having players here that have little or no chance of being able to get into the first team squad.  Quality over quantity, if we were to sell/move on these players (personal opinion) we would free up what £20,000 at least week?  Being totally ruthless Tom Adeyemi, JBA, Luke Daley, Josh Dawkin, Stephen Hughes, Oli Johnson, Cody McDonald, Anthony McNamee, Steven Smith, OTJ, Mathew Gill (thats 11 players!) and with 2 new players we would still have a squad of 25 players, consisting of 3 Keepers, 4/5 full backs, 4/5 center backs, 8 midfield, 5 strikers.  Thank you very much.

[quote user="Ernie"]If we were to get in a striker and a winger I would like to see us trim the squad (which I believe Lambert is/will do).  We have 34 proffessional players including one on loan at the club and I dont see the point in having players here that have little or no chance of being able to get into the first team squad.  Quality over quantity, if we were to sell/move on these players (personal opinion) we would free up what £20,000 at least week?  Being totally ruthless Tom Adeyemi, JBA, Luke Daley, Josh Dawkin, Stephen Hughes, Oli Johnson, Cody McDonald, Anthony McNamee, Steven Smith, OTJ, Mathew Gill (thats 11 players!) and with 2 new players we would still have a squad of 25 players, consisting of 3 Keepers, 4/5 full backs, 4/5 center backs, 8 midfield, 5 strikers.  Thank you very much.[/quote]

there here to stay imo. The rest can go [y]

I believe the point of sending Daley, Oli, Gill, OTJ and JBA on loan last week, where the other clubs would be paying their wages, was to ''trim'' the squad.

[quote user="Boyo''"]I believe the point of sending Daley, Oli, Gill, OTJ and JBA on loan last week, where the other clubs would be paying their wages, was to ''trim'' the squad.[/quot

Which is why I think long term Lambert will get rid as would I.

I think we should just ditch any youth policy - because having youngsters coming through is long term and heavy on the wage bill - and when we''re short of quality, bring in high-quality loan signings by the bucketful.  It worked in the past.duh...

[quote user="way out west"]I think we should just ditch any youth policy - because having youngsters coming through is long term and heavy on the wage bill - and when we''re short of quality, bring in high-quality loan signings by the bucketful.  It worked in the past.

duh...
[/quote]

Why would you comment on what I have said without even reading my post properly?  Where have I mentioned bringing in lots of loan players and ditching our youth policy.  I have seen many products of our youth system come through and without question even at a very young age you knew they would make the grade players like Eddie, Sutton, Green, Bellamy, Fox etc then we have seen players like the Jarvis brothers, Cave-Brown and many many others, players that we have over hyped but have failed to make the grade and once released have fallen down the leagues.  If they are good enough then they are old enough.  We all want our young players coming through our youth academy to make the grade and I hope players like Tom Adeyemi do carve out a career for themselves, hopefully with us but its a hard business and I fear the worst, hopefully I will be proved wrong.  For example would you play him ahead of say Henri?  Bearing in mind how much game time he has really had himself and is also only a year older

I agree, we need to trim the squad as we shall have additional better players coming in this month or from June onwards.

The problem is that it will be the younger and able who will go, saving little wages and producing little or no transfer revenue. Financially there will be relatively little gain.

We dont really know about Adayemi yet do we. Having a half decent season at Bradford and still very young. Remember Kieran Gibbs here, not great, now being talked about as an England left back. We need to persevere with the youth system and possible even invest more. I agree though that players like JBA who is ok, Gill, Oli Johnson, OTJ and the forever injured Steven Smith need to be moved on.

I also agree that we need to trim the squad, and in fairness I think Lambert will do that. I''d personally keep Tom, Cody and Josh Dawkin - especially considering all have signed long deals recently. I would definitely look to allow Josh and Tom out on loan though.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]I also agree that we need to trim the squad, and in fairness I think Lambert will do that. I''d personally keep Tom, Cody and Josh Dawkin - especially considering all have signed long deals recently. I would definitely look to allow Josh and Tom out on loan though.[/quote]

I think we could move on 7/8 senior players with the younger players given another year or so on loan to see if they can cut the mustard.

The problem is it isn''t as easy as all that to move players on. There is relatively little going on in the transfer market at the moment and we almost certainly wouldn''t get a fee for any of those players you have mentioned. Lower league clubs will just wait for contracts to expire rather than bring a player in who have a contract with another team. I can''t see many League One clubs wanting to match the wages we are paying people like Stephen Hughes or Owain Tudor-Jones and those players probably don''t want to take a cut in their wages.

With the young players I imagine that their wages are very low, especially Josh Dawkins and Tom Adeyemi, so it is worth keeping hold of them for now and then seeing where they are in a year or two.

Whilst I agree the squad does need trimming, I much prefer putting these players out on loan and into the shop window than just paying them off like NCFC used to under Neil Doncaster. 

"I believe the point of sending Daley, Oli, Gill, OTJ and JBA on loan last week, where the other clubs would be paying their wages, was to ''trim'' the squad."

Hardly, otherwise the loans would have been for far longer .

It is doubtful whether any lower league club would be capable/willing to pay the full wages.

They will be at other clubs in the same way Lansbury is with us. In his case to get regular first team games and to gain experience through those games.

For the City players going out it will be a chance to sharpen up a bit, rather than sitting on the bench or doing little else since there are few reserve games.

As to trimming I''m sure a few of these will come good. Lambert has a good record of getting best of out players that have previously been written off.