Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

The Gray and Keys Comments

Did Andy Gray REALLY make that comment about Messi, Stoke City, wet night etc etc?

Disregarding the comments about the lady lino (and my view has always been that any discrimination should be based on ability alone-but even that is probably an -ist or -ism of some sort!), that comment alone suggests how completely out of touch he is about the game and how old fashioned and dreadfully stuck in his ways he has become.

What is this infatuation with media people in general about certain players or clubs "not fancying it" in places that are, for example...

North of, say Cambridge?

Where its raining?

Or snowing?

Or, heaven forbid, below about 10 degrees C?

Or, for some reason, its a Tuesday night?

And certainly, and always, in January. None of the above can apply. If its January, well, that means all perceived "fancy dan footballers" (or clubs-Arsenal, for example) and "dirty foreign mercenaries" won''t turn up?

Sorry Andy, but class is class, and a good footballer, a Messi, will turn it on at Stoke in a blizzard as much as he might at the San Siro on a balmy May afternoon. If a player has a bad game, he has a bad game, doesn''t matter what the conditions are, or where its played.

He and Keys came in when Sky kicked off their domination of TV coverage-which is nearly 20 years ago. Unfortunately, they still seem to stuck in that era.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]The reason that it is okay for black people to use the N word is because it was used as a derogatory term for so many years and by using it themselves they are claiming the word for themselves and removing some of the venom and hate from its use. Canary Girl, I take it you are joking?[/quote]"Taking it back" is such a god damn farse !Watch Clerks 2 ;)[/quote]Haha- everyone should watch Clerks 2!"It''s OK, I''m taking it back"

[quote user="morty"]

I just think the whole thing smacks of cuddly society not daring to speak out of line. Making them sit on the naughty step and apologise like its a big deal I just find all a bit pathetic.

[/quote]

I''m happy for them to ''speak out of line'' and tell the world the reasons behind their belief that women can''t understand the offside rule. If they came out and laid their predjudices bare I might have a modicum of respect for them. But they won''t so if they want to keep their jobs they need to admit that they f*cked up, apologise and move on. Speaking out of line and being a dick are not the same thing.

[quote user="morty"]
Every comfortable shoe wearing feminist will be frothing herself up into a frenzy over how the evil male oppressors practically raped her.

[/quote]

I''ve yet to see any ''comfortable shoe wearing feminist'' (they''re the worst kind of feminist aren''t they [:@]) claiming any such thing. But don''t let that stop you making things up in an attempt to justify your argument.

[quote user="morty"]
I bet the loose women hags have a field day with this lol.

[/quote]

The hags on Loose Women are equally as bad as Gray and Keys. I''ve got no time for any of them.

[quote user="morty"]

If women want to make some kind of point by taking a role in a male dominated profession, then they have to accept that its going to be difficult.  
[/quote]

Why are they trying to ''make some kind of point''. Perhaps they just like football? Refereeing numbers are down across all levels of football. If there is a group of people who the FA have not targetted before who could increase those numbers then it would be madness to make things difficult for them. If there are decent female referees out there then maybe we could get rid of some of the incompetent men that posters on this forum are usually so keen to moan about?

just a short one I just think Andy Gray is a Gob sh#te how the hell he is still doing that job after all these years god only knows!! he is almost as bad as David Pleat on ITV !!!

and for Sian Massey if she is capable of doing the job so what??

I agree if she can do the job........but you know what footballers are like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhq8l09RAAM

[quote user="morty"]Lol Shack, you''re taking all this a bit seriously, are you a chick?

[;)]
[/quote]

Only at the weekends.

I''m just fed up with smug, boorish and dumbed down approach we have to football punditry on TV in this country. This is just one more reason for me to skip through the ''analysis'' on pretty much any football programme on TV. Thankfully these days there are plenty of places online where you can read thoughtful and intelligent writing on all aspects of the game without having to listen to the outdated views of idiots like Andy Gray.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="morty"]Lol Shack, you''re taking all this a bit seriously, are you a chick?[;)][/quote]

Only at the weekends.

I''m just fed up with smug, boorish and dumbed down approach we have to football punditry on TV in this country. This is just one more reason for me to skip through the ''analysis'' on pretty much any football programme on TV. Thankfully these days there are plenty of places online where you can read thoughtful and intelligent writing on all aspects of the game without having to listen to the outdated views of idiots like Andy Gray.

[/quote]I think then that your issue is more with the pundits in general, rather than specifically these comments, despite the fact that they serve to illustrate your points.Unfortunately footballers aren''t (generally) the sharpest knives in the drawer, and pundits have to cater to the masses.To be honest if  I am watching a game I don''t really listen that hard to commentary and punditry, and zone most of it out.Chicks should still know their limits though.[;)]

I personally have nothing against female linespersons.

Having a large breasted woman running up and down the touchline has to be good for the game.

Come on mr Blatter - lets have them wearing beach volleyball kit!

Football pundits. Could any female look and sound as annoying as ''retro'' Lawrenson? How about Andy Townsend or David Pleat or any number of downright toe curlingly cringeworthy male punters. Against most of them Gabby Logan (for example) looks and sounds the part as do other female presenters. In football we really do have some tired old gits giving their views - time for a good clear out IMHO.

Look at the presentation of the derby by Jake Humphries or even Manish on the Football League Show. What about the knowlegeable Claire Balding with all things equestrian or Hazel Irvine? Perhaps a good presenter will always top a sports person turned presenter, whether they be male or female. But, as for the BBC lauding it over Sky with their predicament, they need to remember their attitude to women presenters is restricted by her age.

As for my original post would someone like to address the question as to whether the response has damaged the credibility of the cause? I bet a number of women are frustrated and annoyed by the over the top comments of some which simply clouds the issue and makes a pair of idiots look like martyrs.

[quote user="morty"]I think then that your issue is more with the pundits in general, rather than specifically these comments, despite the fact that they serve to illustrate your points.

[/quote]

My issue is with both. As a football fan I find these comments plain embarrasing and, as I said in my original post, anybody who seriously tries to defend them is a complete knob. But they are also a symptom of the general malaise that affectes football punditry (and modern football fandom to a certain extent). This sort of attitude fits nicely with the jingoistic, macho, [url=http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2010/12/21/2271248/top-epl-journalist-andy-gray-lionel-messi-is-not-good-enough-for-]Lionel Messi wouldn''t fancy a wet, Tuesday evening in Stoke[/url] nonsense that we come to expect from these clowns.

Gray and Keys are knobs for who they are. Pumped up numbnuts on too much money believing their own hype. In effect everything Sky Sports stands for.As for this silly little girl wanting to play with the men.... she should stick with her own gender and try to boost the unwatched and boring women''s sports like netball and synchronised swimming.Men''s football is a man''s game played by men for men to enjoy. If women want to watch that''s fine, but don''t start buggering up something that doesn''t include them in any capacity in the name of political correctness. I''ll keep out of nail bars and knicker shops if they stay out of football.After all... hasn''t one of them turned our club into a tarnsvestite ridiculed across the length and breadth of the country? Thankfully some men have come along and are putting it all right for us.Women simply want to be more equal than men and pansified modern man should ignore this at their peril.

My last comment on the subject as frankly this is getting way out of handSexism :As some know I am a teacher and work in schools. As I am male I am smartly dressed.Every day = Suit, Tie, Shoes. In the winter I sometimes swap out my suit jacket for a pull over.  Now, in the Summer when its hot, I leave my jacket at home and go for short sleeved shirts. Still regardless I swelter.Now my female colleages.They are similarly professional in atire, but when we get to the summer... oh dear !Out come the strappy sandles and the flip flops and the shorter skirts and even nice little strappy tops.

What I am saying is this is all well and acceptable, however If i rolled into school in my flip flops and shorts wearing a polo rather than a shirt and tie I would be sent home by my boss.How is this fair ??????

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]My last comment on the subject as frankly this is getting way out of hand

Sexism :

As some know I am a teacher and work in schools. As I am male I am smartly dressed.
Every day = Suit, Tie, Shoes. In the winter I sometimes swap out my suit jacket for a pull over. 
Now, in the Summer when its hot, I leave my jacket at home and go for short sleeved shirts. Still regardless I swelter.

Now my female colleages.
They are similarly professional in atire, but when we get to the summer... oh dear !

Out come the strappy sandles and the flip flops and the shorter skirts and even nice little strappy tops.

What I am saying is this is all well and acceptable, however If i rolled into school in my flip flops and shorts wearing a polo rather than a shirt and tie I would be sent home by my boss.

How is this fair ??????
[/quote]

---

Have you tried wearing short skirts and nice little strappy tops in summer? If the women don''t get banned I don''t see how you can be...[;)][:D][;)]