Sign in to follow this  
Depraved

Swindon Town striker Charlie Austin joins Burnley

That ends the speculation

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/burnley/9378506.stmTried the link tool, but didn''t work

I''m surprised he turned down the scum to go to Burnley, much as it pains me to say it they''re a much bigger club than Burnley and I''d say their long term prospects are better than Burnleys. Obviously down to the wages Burnley are prepared to pay, still quite funny them missing out though.

On paper good signing, but theres plenty who have come up the divisions and not been able to reproduce the goals. But i think he''s going to score goals in the championship. £2m alot for someone who''s only had 2 yrs in professional football but maybe a gamble that pays off.

"£2m alot "

Unfortunately we have no real idea what the cost is, unless Burnley choose to publish it in their accounts

What we do have is the knowledge that all of the speculative figures quoted are usually way of the mark. They nornally are a combination of supposed.

If there is a genuine positive to all of this it is that money is now flowing downwards through the leagues as Premier League players have now out priced themselves and the Championship clubs are looking below for new players rather than above.

This can only be a healthy development for English football as it allows for and gives incentive to clubs right down to the grass roots to develop young players.

It does almost suggest that the Premier League has become a stagnant freak show where a handful of clubs fight for the top spots, a handful of others indebt themselves in some frantic scrabble to stay in there and the rest achieve nothing other than treading water.

Great post City 1st. This really is a change in the right direction. The three Championship clubs promoted from League One have all proved to be competetive this season. As have the players who have moved up to other clubs. We are slowly getting our game back in the Football League and the success of some of Blackpool''s football league journeymen this season coould point to the Premiership following suit soon.

As for Austin... The paupers are skint and probably would have had to sell to afford him.

Cheers Mr N

It is also healthy in that clubs like ourselves, Southampton and Charlton aren''t so ''big'' that we can''t be dumped down a league.

Health that clubs like Brighton and Bournemouth can haul themselves up and, on football terms alone, can demonstrate that the ''dream'' is not dead.

If that dream has been distorted for many into getting into the Premier League to gain hideous payments it should not put us off from the fact that football below that league is stil healthy, if only in a competitive sense.

If the Premier League want to pull up the drawbridge then maybe it''s time for the rest of football to bang the nails in after it and let it fester.

Just heard him being interviewed on Talksport...nice modest chap and I''m so glad that did not go to Ipswich... just sad we could not get him

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]i see Iwelumo is joining Preston to make way for Austin.........he might have been worth a shout??[/quote]

Iwelumo in and cureton in, bring back the colu days [:)]