Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Cody scores another 2

But we can''t so do we really have to keep banging on about it?!

Remember, it''s LEAGUE 2!!!

Both Martin and Jackson scored for fun in LEAGUE 1 and are still struggling at this level.......jeez!

[quote user="Clint"]But we can''t so do we really have to keep banging on about it?! Remember, it''s LEAGUE 2!!! Both Martin and Jackson scored for fun in LEAGUE 1 and are still struggling at this level.......jeez![/quote]

And where did Holt come from?

Funny old world. Their fans go mad about selling Jackson, they get in a rookie striker. That striker scores at the twice the rate of their previous striker, they claim we are idiots for paying lots of money for a striker that is not a patch on the one they have now. As I said funny old world.

I doubt he''ll ever cut it for us. There''s a big difference between scoring in League 2 and scoring in the championship (as Jackson is showing). It''s great to see him doing well, hopefully it''ll mean we can sell him in the summer for 500k or so.

[quote user="Mahogany"]I doubt he''ll ever cut it for us. There''s a big difference between scoring in League 2 and scoring in the championship (as Jackson is showing). It''s great to see him doing well, hopefully it''ll mean we can sell him in the summer for 500k or so.[/quote]This argument is nonsense.  At the end of the day it''s eleven versus eleven, and the goals are the same size whatever the league you are in.

I''m sure people on here were saying that Holt would not cut in the Chump. He can only be given a chance, sadly not at this time.

I have always thought since the first minute of his debut, that he is class and the season loan is only going to help him. If we are the Prem, then give him a few months in the Chump. If we are still here, then he can be given a chance.

Chopsie is right.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]True Mr Chops, however the quality of the defence changes - theoretically - the higher up the leagues you go.[/quote]Yes, but so does the quality of the players in your side.  A natural finisher will always score goals at whatever level.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]True Mr Chops, however the quality of the defence changes - theoretically - the higher up the leagues you go.[/quote]Yes, but so does the quality of the players in your side.  A natural finisher will always score goals at whatever level.[/quote]In that case, why aren''t our strikers scoring goals? Does this mean we have no natural finishers? [*-)]

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]True Mr Chops, however the quality of the defence changes - theoretically - the higher up the leagues you go.[/quote]Yes, but so does the quality of the players in your side.  A natural finisher will always score goals at whatever level.[/quote]In that case, why aren''t our strikers scoring goals? Does this mean we have no natural finishers? [*-)][/quote]Exactly that.  We need a Drogba, an Anelka, a Torres or a Berbatov.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]You''d best put in some overtime to pay for them then Mr Chops [;)][/quote]Meh, I could buy and sell them ten times over with my ridiculous wealth.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]You''d best put in some overtime to pay for them then Mr Chops [;)][/quote]Meh, I could buy and sell them ten times over with my ridiculous wealth.[/quote]Is that why you''ve not got an ST then? You''re saving to buy one of these players lol or is Chops Junior going to be our top scorer? [;)]

think back to when he 1st joined. He was really bubbly and wanted to play and like lambert said a player who wants to play and win is better than a talented not interested player. (abit like rooney when he went off with a hooker, talented but not interested)

We sure could have done with Cody today, as those missed chances could be very expensive come the end of the season.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]True Mr Chops, however the quality of the defence changes - theoretically - the higher up the leagues you go.[/quote]Yes, but so does the quality of the players in your side.  A natural finisher will always score goals at whatever level.[/quote]In that case, why aren''t our strikers scoring goals? Does this mean we have no natural finishers? [*-)][/quote]Exactly that.  We need a Drogba, an Anelka, a Torres or a Berbatov.

[/quote]Only one of those is scoring for fun atm

In an interview after today''s match the Gillingham boss says he wants to keep Cody beyond the end of the season but that''s up to Norwich. Let''s hope Lambert gets him back because he''s way better than Jackson!

Its good to keep track of his development but could people please not keep talking about recalling him.  It is a fact that he cannot be recalled this season.

Just saw the two goals he scored today and they were very sharp finishes, very natural in the respect that they could have been scored in at least a couple of divisions above

It''s always been understood that he can''t be recalled under the terms of the contract. As I''ve said before though, if we were willing to pay Gillingham to break the contract and send back Jackson perhaps, and Gillingham accepted, is there a rule against that ?  Surely it''s worth trying.

He CAN''T come back untill the end of the season but when he does come back he will be a better player and ready for a place on the bench in the premiership next season.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]He CAN''T come back untill the end of the season but when he does come back he will be a better player and ready for a place on the bench in the premiership next season.[/quote]

Under the terms of the contract he can''t come back, but the majority, if not all contracts can be broken if both parties agree, in all walks of life. The deciding factor is whether League rules allow it, and the bottom line is that he is our player.

Cody obviously cant come back until next year. But he at least deserves a chance when he does. He definitely has a great temprament, I still remember against Cardiff,  how he calmly broke the offside trap and rounded the keeper to score. He also a good team man as shown in that game against Sunderland when he took the gloves after Alnwick went off.  I think it also very odd that people are criticising him for the fact he has only scored goals at league 2 level when Holt, Martin and Jackson have all spent time at this level very recently in their careers. Indeed his current stats compare very favourably to how our other strikers have faired in their most recent stinit at that level. Of course it a big jump up in standard but until he is given a run I dont think you can write him off...

Strike Rates in League 2

Cody McDonald 14 goals in 22 games for Gillingham (2010/11) @ 0.64 per match

Grant Holt 20 goals in 43 games for Shrewsbury (2008/9) @ 0.47 per match

Chris Martin 11 goals in 40 for Luton Town (2008/9) @ 0.28 per match

Simeon Jackson 17 in 41 for Gillingham (2008/9) @ 0.41 per match.