Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Let's discuss Chris Martin

I know we''re second in the league, so

it seems harsh to cast doubt on anyone''s peformance plus I know that Martin was immense for us last season, we love him to bits and he''s scored

some great goals in the past.

I also appreciate that he like standing on the halfway line with his hands on his hips, doesn''t work hard, put himself about or hold

the ball up well but ..... either he''s still not fit so

should he be playing or maybe he''s going to find goals hard to come by

in this league. Also I dont understand why he spends so much time on the

wings when he should be in the box?????

I know he did great for us last season but this league is a whole

different ball game for him so do you think he''ll cut it in the

championship or do you think like me that we need to get an experienced

championship striker in on loan to give him competition or play instead

of him with Holt or Jackson if he isnt cutting the mustard?

Whats your  thoughts ?

He is finding it hard ATM I think he just needs one to go in off his ass or something. Apart from Holt we r for some reason struggling upfront.we r creating plenty of chances, when that stops I will worry. IMHO I do think we need another striker but we all know they cost slot of money unless we take a gamble on say lefonde(spelling sorry) but he could turn out like Jackson and struggle. The other choice is get a Prem fringe player on loan but again no guarantees on goals return In lambert I trust and I''m sure he can see we r not firing upfront. Maybe he is buying Bennett to partner holt who knows.

Chris Martin hasn''t performed very well for a while now apart from the QPR game and I would love us to sign another striker but Lambert seem to be very keen on Bennett.  However out of the other strikers we have Chris Martin is Holts best partner and for that reason I think he should stay in the team.  He just needs a goal or two to get him going again.

Still want another striker though.

What can be done to inspire further confidence in our current strikers to score more goals? It''s not just Chris who''s scoring has dried up recently.Lack of goals scored = lowering goal-scoring confidence. It''s good we don''t rely solely on our strikers for goals but we do need them to score as well.Is it that mid-field are not getting the ball there? I don''t think that''s entirely the problem as we''ve seen the ball being played around the area. Maybe crossing into the box should be practised more in training. Any other suggestions?

i think its time for a change and give jackson a few games from the start.

Martin has had 67 shots, 40 of them on target, and has only managed to convert 4 of them. although people say he works hard and creates chances, hes only managed 2 assists all season.

Jackson has had 35 shots, 19 on target and has scored 4 of them. He has just 1 assist yet has played considerably less games.

last season martin was awesome, but if you remember he too was dropped for a few games and then came back into scoring form.

Jackson is a type of player who needs the ball over the top, unlike martin who likes it to feet, so it will always look like jackson does less until he gets that service.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]if we get bennett in maybe put hooly up front or bennett?[/quote]

Hoolahan playing off Holt could be good.  How about this for midfield and attack?

Bennett?      Lansbury      Crofts      Surman

Hoolahan

Holt

I think it could work.

I''m waiting for Silver Fox''s opinion before i make a half-arsed,sweary comment!!

I remember after the Ipswich game someone behind me (who has it in for Chris) said about how even with 4 goals Chris Martin couldn''t get on the score sheet - neglecting to realise he had key contributions for 3 of them (some one mentioned further up how he only has 2 assists - im counting our first goal against the scum as a key contribution from Martin after hassling and chasing down their player who was on the ball - forcing the pass back to the defender - although apparently lazy Martin never does this!) - id be suprised if Chris really does only have 2 assists this season?

I think at the end of the day as long as we are generally playing well and getting the goals it doesn''t matter who''s getting them.

Ive also seen a couple of games this season which Simone Jackson hasn''t been able to get into, the through balls have not come off, or he''s had been pushed off the ball and conceded possession.

Even when not scoring, Chis Martins involved in the game, be it winding up defenders, holding up the ball or supporting the attack from the tip of the diamond which he''s been asked do recently.

Chris Martin gets involved in a lot of the link up play between the midfield, the full backs and Holt, so that''s sometimes the reason why when the ball is put in the box, he isn''t in there. However if it wasn''t for him, the ball may never reach the box. This is also why he is probably just as effective playing as a centre forward to when he plays as an attacking midfielder. In many respects he keeps things ticking, like Fox does in the centre of the park.

I think there are two reasons why he is still in the starting line up:

He does get involved (a key component?) in the build up play, often not very noticeable, just a little touch here and there, but can be very important.

And also, Jackson is not really a player who seems to fit into the team. I''m sure i read he scored quite a few solo goals last season, but when he has played so far here, he doesn''t seem to get hold of the ball and create chances for others or himself....

[quote user="Herman "]

I''m waiting for Silver Fox''s opinion before i make a half-arsed,sweary comment!!

[/quote]I think most people know my views on Chris Martin.  I am sure his passionate fans will say he had a great game and was instrumental in all the good City attacks. I listened to his comments on Radio Norfolk today and he certainly talks a good game, now all he has to do is show us on the pitch.  Luckily for him neither Jackson or Wilbraham are doing much better, or even Grant Holt.  I am sure Paul Lambert is aware that it is the midfielders and defenders who are coming up with the goals at the moment, so hopefully we may have a new striker before Monday night.

[quote user="silver fox"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]I think most people know my views on Chris Martin.  I am sure his passionate fans will say he had a great game and was instrumental in all the good City attacks. I listened to his comments on Radio Norfolk today and he certainly talks a good game, now all he has to do is show us on the pitch.  Luckily for him neither Jackson or Wilbraham are doing much better, or even Grant Holt.  I am sure Paul Lambert is aware that it is the midfielders and defenders who are coming up with the goals at the moment, so hopefully we may have a new striker before Monday night.[/quote]

[Y]Fair and reasonable response.

Apologies if it looks like i am giving unnecessary grief,but after the Cardiff game,which i personally thought he had a good game,the thread slating him really annoyed me.

Now,i will take my ''Martin'' tinted glasses off and read others opinions!

unbelievable. seems like chris has become the whipping boy up front. can''t believe many of the contributors to this thread were at sheff utd and palace. who was given a start at sheffield and made no contribution whatsoever? - jackson . who missed the sitter yesterday? - holt. who contributed most to both games - martin. he was taken off yesterday to try other options and guess what...jackson did **** all.

Chris Martin is not the out and out striker tho is he, he''s more of a link forward. Holt is the main striker.

Martins link play and short passing game is immense and he has a hand in a lot of goals we score.

was woeful yesterday he really looks devoid of confidence now, he spent a lot of time moaning at his own players when he had made a poor pass himself!!

and jacksons pace looked good as he was through but got brought down on the edge of the box so he did more than martin did in 75 minutes!!!

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Chris Martin is not the out and out striker tho is he, he''s more of a link forward. Holt is the main striker.

Martins link play and short passing game is immense and he has a hand in a lot of goals we score.[/quote]

Absolutley, I think he is a player that needs good management, he needs to warm the bench for a few weeks and have the pressure taken off him. We have other players that can play off Holt, I`d like to see Lansbury given a try there.

I''m a big fan of Martin, but he was really poor yesterday. In the first half he was so immobile and so incapable of passing to a City player that I thought he was Wilbraham.

Looks like he needs a rest to me.

I cant believe the flack Chris Martin is having to take, the stupid statistic of 2 assists tells you nothing, only the player who layed on the very final ball. I''ve seen Martin pick out  R.Martin, Lappin and Hoolahan who then provide the final delivery, he still has had a key role in that build up play alot this season.

As for the goals we''d all have liked him to have got more but he is a young player and this is his first full season at this level where he is considered a regular, it sometimes takes young players time to adjust people like Billy Sharp struggled in their first season in the championship and he''s now got a great scoring record, Ched Evans only got 4 goals last season, imo the he''s not that far off and could easily have had another 5 or 6 with abit of luck and some more experience.

Not saying another striker wouldnt help us a team, but if we havent got the money to buy a striker that would significantly improve the team, then he''s the best option we have currently.

You are quite right, he has contributed in a number of ways this season, unfortunately, we are talking about his performance yesterday and recently prior to that where he has contributed very little. That''s why he needs a rest, that''s why he''s getting some flack, for what he is doing in the present, not for what he has done in the past.

gingerpele you are an idiot!!! why would I hate a Norwich player? I get extremely frustrated with him because I think he has the ability but just cant be arsed so often and when things dont go his way, such as yesterday, he starts moaning and blaming others, but then I suppose i am not allowed to have an opinion unless I comply with the majority am I?