Sign in to follow this  
hucks@dh6.co.uk

Palace v Norwich match report now on www.dh6.co.uk

Hi all,

Yesterday''s Palace v Norwich match report is now up on www.dh6.co.uk we''ve gone second because we are very good in possession ,very solid,well organised and very fit,but we are lacking goals from forward players and need other options to take us to next level, let''s hope the manager has something up his sleeve

Spot on. Apart from the Crystal Girls, who showed more grit & determination than some of our team (those outfits ......brrrrrrrrr!).If Surman returns, do you think it would be worth trying the Hooloigan up front? Particularly against teams who are "parking the bus".

Maybe, think pacey winger is critical for us to push on, Surman still same kind of player as Wes,Lansbury,fox,Crofts, Korey, we are very consistent and hard to beat, will that be enough to keep us in top 2?

Hucks, we have McNamee, why don''t you think he has cut the mustard this season? And has anyone impressed you this season who you would like to see at the club?

I know he would never be able to join us, but Scott Sinclair has been very impressive this season, and he is that type of player we are after I think.

I like your points on Hoolahan''s defensive work. He really does seem to be putting in a lot more effort all over the pitch than he had too last season.

Another good report

Up until Christmas we had a top six scoring record and a sub top six defensive record. Had we kept a few more clean sheets we would be leaders by a margin.

Since Christmas we have become much better defensively but are facing teams who know we play narrow so sit back in two banks of four and let us have the ball in front of them but stifling through passing. We have a lot of players who look to come inside rather than go outside.

The form of Ruddy and the pace we have at the back has helped negate the tactic of hitting us on the break and we have experienced low score games. Ironic in this is the fact Wes has improved his game to the extent he fits into systems rather than systems having to be fitted to him. This is highlighted by his defensive work and overall work rate. The diamond was, I recall, designed to work aroud Wes, so strange we still need to default to it.

When Ipswich came to Carrow Road they pushed up on us and paid the price. The rest of the league has got wise.  The defensive tactic is now beginning to happen in some away games where our top record is seeing home sides look to shut us out as first priority.

We only have Wilbraham as a target man IMO. Holty goes wide a lot and likes the ball to feet as does Chris Martin. Neither are a back to the goal, knock the ball down type. Wilbraham and Jackson would be a complete change for us as a classic little and large set up but this would mean pushing Holt wide and perhaps that is what happened in his Forest days.

I''m a Lappin fan and believe he gives us width and bite as well as protecting the full back. Alternatively, when fit I would love to see Surman wide left. I would like to see Korey on the right as he links play well and can defend to allow Russell to push on in the absence of a genuine winger.

I wouldn''t be surprised to see at least one new face on Monday - hopefully a quick player providing width and service - but if not we will need to continue to keep it tight while being patient. An early goal for us would change any game but we need to be prepared to slog it out. Remember, it was only a short while back that we felt confident we would always score. Perhaps this is a bad run but one in which we pick up results and a draw at Palace is a decent result for us.

Anthony MacNamee has failed to grasp starting games but is still a good impact player and an option not to be overlooked.  But overall, maybe our players need to be prepared to take more chances and that means the supporters being patient of attempts that don''t come off, so the players play without fear.

It isn''t fair to criticise people as moaners when we are second in the league. We appreciate the massive effort and team spirit needed to acheive this, we also know the top of the league is tight and that we need to find ways to counteract deep defences. In many instances we are anxious as to how players who got us here, like Nelson and Lappin will be superceeded whilst retaining the same team spirit. Above all else we desire success for everyone associated with the Club and do, as supporters, have opinions.

In the second part of the season we need to dispatch the poorer sides as we didn''t always do in the first part. A good win on Tuesday and everything will be fully positive - especially as this is a tough period for QPR who might slip.

Great post, Rude Old. Especially the penultimate paragraph.

I love the fact that Hucks thinks we need a pacy winger. (I agree, by the way.) Does that mean that if you asked Flem, he''d say we need a reliable centre half, or if you asked Adams, he''d say we need a winger with no pace but who can cross the ball brilliantly and take a mean penalty? Come to think of it, that pretty much is what we need...