Sign in to follow this  
Graham Humphrey

FAO anybody at Selhurst today, blocks S and T...

Had a bit of an incident at half-time today.  I''d just got into the concourse area when much to my surprise, I suddenly found myself on the receiving end of a flying beer bottle.  Right in the face, just below my eye, in fact.  Now fortunately it was a plastic bottle, and narrowly missed my eye, so I''ll have nothing more than a lovely bruise to show for it, but it was (and still is) jolly painful, let me tell you.Now I didn''t see who threw this bottle (as a rule I don''t think people are on the lookout for bottles being chucked around), I only saw it as it was on its way to meeting my face so there was no way back really, and nobody else was a big help at the time.  So I didn''t bother reporting it to a steward, seeing as I had no way of knowing who did it but on reflection I should have done that anyway.  But I''m going to contact CPFC about this matter in case they''ve got any CCTV footage or anything but if anyone saw this happen or has any idea who might have done it, can you please get in touch with me via PM so I can forward the details on - quite frankly I don''t think morons like that deserve to support a club like ours and I would like to see some action taken if possible though I appreciate it is a long shot.Thanks.

Sorry to hear mate. I personally know how frustrating some fans can be. Good luck in getting this scumbag sorted out!

if we spoke about little incidents I was just oposite our fans on this poor main stand and at HT our warm up players make jokes shoot the ball long and the ball push on the face one 50 years old Palace fan and broke his glaces!

also never see our fans have yellow smoke bombs etc hehe look like italian ultras come to selhurst today :p

between we was lucky today with only wes barnett and ruddy on great level all others bellow average......

Hello Graham, sorry to hear about that incident and I hope your bruise gets better. It could have been much worse by the sound of it.

As regards the flare and how it got into the ground, I thought the stewards outside were very lax. I had a bottle of powerade in my pocket which was visible and normally that''s the first thing they will insist on taking off me. Admitted I am hardly the sort of profile person they would target as needing to be searched being middle aged, sober, and have a twelve year old girl with me.

I was in the home area yesterday (stupid ticket office saying I would be able to buy on the day). Anyway, all supporters were scanned with metal detectors and bags searched - seems ott compared to home games at Carrow Rd.Btw, maybe it was just were I was sitting, but I didn''t hear a think from Norwich supporters. Was it really that quite in the away end?

there was a three people next to me row 32 block t who were drinking second half and seemed drunk but didnt see where they were putting empties.

stewards outside seemed ott

[quote user="SS"]I was in the home area yesterday (stupid ticket office saying I would be able to buy on the day). Anyway, all supporters were scanned with metal detectors and bags searched - seems ott compared to home games at Carrow Rd.Btw, maybe it was just were I was sitting, but I didn''t hear a think from Norwich supporters. Was it really that quite in the away end?[/quote]Blimey, I was sitting in the opposite corner to Norwich, & 90% of the time all I could hear was "Y''arrmy" or "On The Ball City" !!!

Really sorry to hear that Graham, not what we expect between city fans.

I was in block R and there was a bit a "t''do" between a couple of idiots behind me. lots of bravado and little else but a few words along the lines of "you''re missing the game you idiots" seem to embarrass them both as everyone else started laughing at them and they soon stopped it. Cue the embarrassing silence for the next 45 mins. Too much sherry me thinks. It killed the atmos in our block. boooo.

I have to say half time wasn''t the friendliest experience I''ve had away at Palace and even though it was crammed, it always is at that s-hole. Something in the air?

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="SS"]I was in the home area yesterday (stupid ticket office saying I would be able to buy on the day). Anyway, all supporters were scanned with metal detectors and bags searched - seems ott compared to home games at Carrow Rd.Btw, maybe it was just were I was sitting, but I didn''t hear a think from Norwich supporters. Was it really that quite in the away end?[/quote]Blimey, I was sitting in the opposite corner to Norwich, & 90% of the time all I could hear was "Y''arrmy" or "On The Ball City" !!!

[/quote]Must have been accoustics. I couldn''t hear a thing, and the fans in the palace stand were singing we forgot you were here.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]all part of football-dont like it dont go![/quote]

You complete retard, How the hell is having your own fans throwing things at you part of football, get a blood life mate.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Hello Graham, sorry to hear about that incident and I hope your bruise gets better. It could have been much worse by the sound of it.

As regards the flare and how it got into the ground, I thought the stewards outside were very lax. I had a bottle of powerade in my pocket which was visible and normally that''s the first thing they will insist on taking off me. Admitted I am hardly the sort of profile person they would target as needing to be searched being middle aged, sober, and have a twelve year old girl with me.

[/quote]

I agree Tim. I was waved through (presumably as I look harmless!) but my 27 year old son was throroughly frisked. If they''re going to search people surely it has to be everyone?

There was a guy next to me in Block T, totally drunk and rather agressive and intimidating, and his mate appeared to be holding him up for most of the second half. Maybe it''s time for people to be ejected if they are in this sort of state. [:@]

[quote user="barclayboy1902"]there was a three people next to me row 32 block t who were drinking second half and seemed drunk but didnt see where they were putting empties.

stewards outside seemed ott[/quote]

Hey you must have near me BB1902 as I saw them drinking on the terrraces too. They did seem drunk, but I don''t know how as they were sharing one bottle of Fosters between the three of them for 25mins. There was only one empty to get rid of.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

[/quote]

I agree Tim. I was waved through (presumably as I look harmless!) but my 27 year old son was throroughly frisked. If they''re going to search people surely it has to be everyone?

[/quote]I got frisked quite thoroughly, and once we got in there was a group of lads who were having a sing and banging on a cupboard, nothing aggresive and then a steward came over and threatened to throw them out.

Seems as though there was plenty of general idiocy around yesterday.  To be honest there was a slightly uneasy atmosphere about the place.  Don''t really know why but if that''s par for the course at Selhurst Park then - seeing as it also an appalling mess along with the surrounding area - I don''t think I''ll bother attending again.  Not worth ruining my dashing good looks for [;)]

I didn''t have time for half-time refreshments......I had to queue for an eternity for a pee.....and by the time I''d finished having a pee....I then had to have another one.

Selhurst isn''t my favourite of grounds.....I prefer the New Den to the majority of London based clubs. Coppers are well versed in their responsibility and roles...and fan-fools and tools, are rapidly removed.

The flare was quite a silly thing to do.....I was stood halfway up the rear of the stand and I could smell and actually taste the damn thing....The stand is fairly enclosed and if it had been ignited around the area were I was stood - it could have caused a few problems....Absolutely insane, idiotic and infantile. 

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the bottle Mr Humphrey.....I do hope that the culprit is identified.....Although some comfort could be taken from the fact that if it had been glass - a more serious injury and damage may have occurred.....Stick a steak on the eye, but ensure it''s not still attached to the bovine beast.... 

I''m certainly not a killjoy or a ''holier than thou'' fan, and thoroughly enjoy the banter and away-day experiences - even laughed off the delay at Norwood Junction for the train back to London Bridge....

But sometimes, some people do need to think of the consequences of misbehaviour....not only the repercussions to them, but also to those innocent folk that are around them.

Just to respond to SS and the usual mention of our quiet support.

It seems we have contributors to this board who seem to think we are different to any other support in the whole world. Wrong!

Let me put something on record - Selhurst Park is without doubt the worst ground in the top two divisions and arguably in England. It has nothing going for it at all.

By the time you make your way to that tip, particularly from Norwood Junction, acute depression has sunk in. The stand we are in is oppressive and yesterday it was brass monkeys x 2.

I am normally quite vocal and animated, well you couldn''t get a peep out of me. It was a good job there was not some rope handy.

We have been going there for years and each time we say never again. Well this time we really do mean ''NEVER AGAIN''

As Mello Yellow says, the final insult to human misery was signal failure to London Bridge.

Who was it who once said ,,,, ''South London''s a horrible place, I want to go home''

Graham - sorry to hear about what happened. Not what you''d expect in the away section of Norwich fans. Disappointing behaviour that''s clearly not endorsed by the vast majority.Unfortunately, as well know, the minority is always the problem with some things.A bloody steak will work wonders and you can eat it afterwards!

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]all part of football-dont like it dont go![/quote]

What a very foolish thing to say, I hope I never find that I am sitting next to you at a game if you consider throwing bottles to be acceptable. I  hope you have never done anything like that yourself !!

If you dont like having a beer bottle hossed in your face, dont go !!!!. What an idiot. Graham and any other fan should be able to go to a match without having to worry about some jerk hossing a bottle their way.

Another thing that annoyed me was that JDW''s in South Norwood charge different prices to regulars than to away footie fans etc. I was assured by one of the barmaids that this is not illegal, but was so angry at the discrimination I decided to leave and will not be going there again.[:@]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Just to respond to SS and the usual mention of our quiet support.

It seems we have contributors to this board who seem to think we are different to any other support in the whole world. Wrong!

Let me put something on record - Selhurst Park is without doubt the worst ground in the top two divisions and arguably in England. It has nothing going for it at all.

By the time you make your way to that tip, particularly from Norwood Junction, acute depression has sunk in. The stand we are in is oppressive and yesterday it was brass monkeys x 2.

I am normally quite vocal and animated, well you couldn''t get a peep out of me. It was a good job there was not some rope handy.

We have been going there for years and each time we say never again. Well this time we really do mean ''NEVER AGAIN''

As Mello Yellow says, the final insult to human misery was signal failure to London Bridge.

Who was it who once said ,,,, ''South London''s a horrible place, I want to go home''[/quote]To be fair, Bury Yellow, not all of South London is horrible but the area around Selhurst Park certainly does it''s best to make up for the bits that aren''t. Row after row of dreary terraced houses, no decent shops and no Underground for starters...You are right in saying Selhurst Park is the worst ground in the top two divisions but there are some worse dumps lower down the League. The Arthur Wait stand is barely fit for human habitation but somehow they get away with it and charge away fans £25 for the '' experience ''. They should be paying us to sit there. I would be ashamed of it if I was a Palace fan.Thankfully I didn''t go on Saturday but three people I know did. They couldn''t get tickets for the Arthur Wait Stand so sat opposite. Their tickets were £30 but they did get to use a decent bar. The only bar you''re ever likely to see in the Arthur Wait is the one obstructing half the view of the pitch........