Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

So to recap

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

So this is going for it is it?

[/quote]

Could somebody post a link to this ''going for it'' quote and who made it? I''m going to post some (hopefully) reasoned analysis of the transfer window later and I''d like to get my facts straight.

Thanks in advance [:D]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

So this is going for it is it?

[/quote]

Could somebody post a link to this ''going for it'' quote and who made it? I''m going to post some (hopefully) reasoned analysis of the transfer window later and I''d like to get my facts straight.

Thanks in advance [:D]

[/quote]

---

---

Shack, I think it is this, from Bowkett after the AGM:

“We have taken the decision that we are going to be self sufficient in the funding of the club,” Bowkett added. “If we can find further investment that will be great, but we are not depending on it. We are well on the way to doing that, we have the support of our creditors, we are performing ahead of budget. In fact we are doing as well off the pitch, I think, as we are doing on the pitch. I think the key thing for me now is to see how much we can raise to support Paul (Lambert) in one push.

“It is not often you get in the position in January where you are a few points off the top of the table. We are realistic enough to realise that a little more investment might secure that future so we are doing the best we can at the moment.”

Well, with Nelson off the payroll, maybe a bit of money in for a transfer fee, Oli Johnsons wages being picked up by Yeovil I assume, plus a bit of digging down the sides of the sofa by the board, I''d suggest that there is room to bring in a couple of fairly tasty loanees from the Premiership.

I think the ''go for it'' comment came from Lambert, not Bowkett or McNally, this is from December:

Lambert said:"I told the board the players that I want in, so they know who I want,” he said.

“They know I need players in. First and foremost we have to get to that magic figure to keep us in the league and then do that and if we are still hovering about, we have to go for it.

“But first and foremost I have always said is to get safe, and if we’re safe and we’re hovering about up there then we have to go for it and to go for it I need players in here to give that group a hand.

“People shouldn’t think we have loads of money all over the place, because there’s not.

“But hopefully we get a hand – and I am sure we will.

“If we are round about and I know we can be safe and we are doing okay but we are still up near where we are, we have to try and do everything we can.

“The spirit they (the players) have got is great and the three lads I want to come in would be huge for us, huge. But I need them in, I need players in.

“We have to keep improving the squad, driving on – you never stand still, that’s for sure.”

Norwich City consider full-on push for promotion

Alan Bowkett

Bowkett became Norwich chairman in July 2009

Norwich City chairman Alan Bowkett says the club are considering funding a full-throttle attempt at promotion.

With City fourth in the Championship, Bowkett said he was weighing up the "risk-reward" nature of any push.

"The reward is for one season in the Premiership, you''re guaranteed at least £90m," he told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"So you might take a risk and find some investment or create some more cash to support [boss] Paul Lambert, because we''re performing ahead of budget."

After addressing shareholders at the club''s annual general meeting on Tuesday he added: "[£90m is] four times our annual revenue, not our profit - four times our annual revenue just by getting to the Premier League.

"The key thing for me now is to see how much we can raise for Paul in one push.

"We''re realistic enough to realise that a little more investment might secure that [Premier League] future."

The Canaries have already made three new signings this January, with Aaron Wilbraham and Marc Tierney joining Lambert''s squad, and Leon Barnett turning his loan move into a permanent switch from West Brom.

And for the time being any funding for more acquisitions will have to come from within the club, rather than external investors.

606: DEBATE

Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas

Bowkett revealed attempts to secure financial backing were continuing but had not turned up any legitimate interest.

"You meet people who have wonderful grandiose plans and I''m a simple soul, I say ''could you confirm you have the money?''," he said.

"And when that doesn''t come to fruition you have to be realistic and say ''when you can prove you''ve got some money come back and talk to me''."

City also revealed more details on how they hope to expand Carrow Road''s capacity by up to 8,000 seats.

The ground, which can currently hold over 26,000 spectators, is regularly close to capacity.

I''ve had some conversations with fans saying ''it''s getting a bit expensive Alan'' and I know it is

Chairman Alan Bowett on ticket prices at Carrow Road

Bowkett said: "The trade off is between capacity and price. I''ve had some conversations with people saying ''it''s getting a bit expensive Alan'' and I know it is.

"I think the obvious route is the Geoffrey Watling stand, whether you put another layer on it or take it down and re-build, I don''t know.

"Probably the sensible thing to do is bite the bullet, take it down and build a new stand, but it means 18 to 24 months without revenue and the people in that stand tend to be the people who have been the supporters for many generations."

Bookmark with:

What are

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Cheers Purple [Y][/quote]

---

Pleasure, Shack. Look forward to your analysis. Mr Brownstone has also quoted what Lambert said, but in truth  that was some time ago, and it was never quite clear what he meant by those remarks. Was he talking about the play-offs or an automatic slot?

By contrast the Bowkett remarks were made only two weeks ago and seem plainly (since we were then and still are in the top six) to refer to some kind of push in the transfer window (and/or the loan market?) to secure a top two finish.

I fondly remember a time when there wasn''t so many prats on this message board. In the space of 48 hours our season now seems to be ruins! Despite sitting 2nd in league. Forget where we''ve come from in the last 18 months and how we''ve already over achieved in our realistic business plan set out from the board. Sadly too many people want success yesterday at any price especially over inflated "January sale prices."

I believe in the players we have here, and their capabilities. The loan Market opens in a weeks time. All the teams that have spent over inflated prices in the transfer window will have players in their squad that will be surpless to requirement, so I''m sure if Paul Lambert believes we need something extra he will go out and get the someone.

Seems fairly straightforward to me.  Lambert asked for money, got it, but either it wasn''t enough for Brighton, or the money Brighton wanted was going to prevent Lambert from bringing in someone else.We''re better off bringing in a couple of loans, for the 18 games that remain.

Clearly based on Bowketts comments were were able to "raise" enough to bid for Bennett but we have found the Brighton chairman in determined mood. Given that, Lambert was presumably faced with a choice of spending that money (which appears to be in the region of £1 million is various accouints are to be believed) on another player or sit tight for the time being. If he had no other player in mind then i have no problem with him sitting tight. I would, however, like to think that maybe a chunk of the cash can be used for a decent loan signing, preferably someone to take a bit of the goalscoring burden off Holt during the second half of the season.

The4 only problems might arise if Lambert was pormised funds whih never materialised but at present there is no sign that is the case. We still have a great side and I am confident will be in and around the top six come the end of the season even without a loanee. Yes its a shame we can''t really "go for it" but its not as if we are playing badly. The quality levels in our current squad are the highest they have been for years, particularly with Surman comning back soon.

The transfer window''s a complete joke anyway. If Andy Carroll is worth £35m then I''m worth at least a couple of hundred grand! Norwich would have offered a very reasonable price for Bennett and Brighton would have asked for it to be doubled, which is fair enough. And we said ''no thanks'', which is fair enough

Our current squad is 2nd in the table on merit and we still have Surman to come back and hopefully C Martin and Jackson to hit some form (although doubtful in Jackson''s case).

If other clubs'' squads have become larger, this now means more can happen in the loan transfer market

Croft''s Number 1 Fan ... please tell me WHO we should we have broken the bank for? Name names.

Don''t tell me Bennett - he''s NOT the difference between top 6 and bottom 16.