Sign in to follow this  
Hog

We really tried to get him.....

I bet hes going to be knocking the ball in every 5 minutes now they blocked his move to Norwich.Sometimes you just have to accept a player is unhappy and let him go. Its like a relationship with a girl. You know its not right even though they are beautyful or you have shared some good times. But you gotta remember there will be another to replace her soon !Although I hate how it was done by the Russians and Torres, I commend Liverpool for letting Torres go  for these reasons.

Also, it looks like the final offer was less than £1m. I think things may have further to run yet - even if not till the summer. I bet Lambo''s cheesed off after being that close.

Poyet is a very fiery and stubborn man so I am not surprised we didnt get Bennett. He effectively managed to bully Calderon (their captain) into signing a new deal despite interest from Southampton. I am just afraid now whether we may have missed the boat. If Brighton get promotion they will have a new stadium and might well kick again next year as newly promoted sides tend to do. So he might think it is worth hanging around. Or if he continues to perform at his current level he could get picked off by one of the clubs with parachute payments.

I would not be too suprised to see him sign on loan later this month as part of a permanant deal. Don''t think this story is over yet.

So, at the end of the day it was all about Bloom holding on to him to say "look at my wad". Their Manager accepted it was a "very good offer" and that his player may well leave to better himself, the player himself must have been convinced enough by our offer to hand in a transfer request and we seem to have been very keen to land him.

Can you imagine how you would feel if you landed a job with much more wages due to the hard work and skill  you had put in at present workplace and the boss said sorry you can not go waving contract in your face!Most players know that their careers have a short period to bloom and many die very early, so you have to make hay while the sun shines. Any player can pick up an injury any time and can be end of career or make future difficult.So in Bennett they will almost certainly have one angry player and if Brighton start losing he will get even more upset. Can not see a loan deal now as makes no sense for Brighton to do that when a million would not do it

True to your name Mr N Ambition.

Father Wilbraham did not cost us a lot and will do a good job for us. He was an impressive sub at our last home game and again at Sheff U.

Frankly your ''money we have thrown down the drain'' is laughable.

I suggest a few hours at Selhurst Park will cheer you up no end!

Awhile back the reason would have been that the old cook had fumbled the pie yet again. Now under the PL and McNally we can be confident it was for legitimate tactical reasons.That''s how far NCFC has moved on and why we should all feel relaxed about it.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Awhile back the reason would have been that the old cook had fumbled the pie yet again. Now under the PL and McNally we can be confident it was for legitimate tactical reasons.That''s how far NCFC has moved on and why we should all feel relaxed about it.[/quote]Call the police! Someone''s stolen CC''s account!

[quote user="canarygirl"][quote user="Hog"]

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/8823867.Poyet_relieved_to_hang_on_to_star_man/

I wonder how unhappy he will be now....

[/quote]

Thankyou Hog for taking the time to post think link, it is most interesting. It would have been lovely to sign the young man but maybe Mr. Lambert will find good use for the money we have saved.
[/quote]

You are most welcome Miss

Didn''t Simeon cost £1m? Maybe we didn''t want to spend too much again in case it doesn''t work out and it appears that Bennett has only really shone for this season (which isn''t even a full season I suppose). Over £1m on a relatively unproven player is a massive risk. Simeon had 2 really good seasons and cost that much and strikers are generally the most expensive players so maybe we valued Bennett correctly in terms of market price, but not enough compared to what he was worth to Seagulls.

One thing you have to be stunned by is the cost of Taraabt, which was supposedly around 600k..people called him the next Zidane too and even though he didn''t do much at Spurs (no real opportunities though) he was a real steal. Saying that, we got our own bargain in Grant Holt:)

As some others believe, I think there will be a loan deal after a few weeks as Brighton realise that Bennett is not performing because he is unhappy at having his ambitions thwarted by his chairman. This will play out a bit like Beckford at Leeds at this stage last season as his game went completely off the boil, the difference being that Beckford stayed until the end of the season, whereas I feel that Bennett will move on loan. Trying to keep hold of an unhappy player simply does not work, and there are many examples to prove this.

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]I would not be too suprised to see him sign on loan later this month as part of a permanant deal. Don''t think this story is over yet.
[/quote]

I started a post saying exactly what you just did late last night and it got a bit of a bad reaction from alot of people!

Strange comment by Poyet. We bid 3 times and the 2nd was very tempting! So I''m thinking bid 1 £600k, bid 2 £800k plus Mcnamee, bid 3 £1.2 mill. If that''s the case maybe should have pushed the fee plus Mcnamee higher.

If it was going to happen it would have been this time. If Norwich get promoted they probably would be looking at players with experience at a higher level . If we do not get promoted and Brighton come up in the same Division why would he want to move ?

Thing is if you want a clubs best players you have to pay , take Charlie Austin i bet he went for around £1.8m , most Brighton fans think our bid of under a million was taking the p/ss and anything under £1.5 should have been rejected .If Bennett is as good as they say and the best player in the division we were never getting him for £900,000 .