Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

WatlingSouthChase would know what to do, but so does Bowkett

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

And as the tattered remnants of the Chase Out Loons circle their wagons.........

Hate fills the air and facts, truth and logic all drift around the camp blinding eyes and clogging lungs...

Dear oh dear oh dear. So sad.

9 of 10 years in the top flight; 2 FA Cup Semi-finals; 3rd, 4th & 5th place league finishes; Europe  ----  and all that the tattered remnants of the Chase Out Loons can spout is that it was all despite Chase and none of it because of him.

I''m sure that Jeseu wept at less.

Dear oh dear oh dear. What hate, what bile, what lies.

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]C*ck

And as the tattered remnants of the Chase Out Loons circle their wagons.........

Hate fills the air and facts, truth and logic all drift around the camp blinding eyes and clogging lungs...

9 of 10 years in the top flight; 2 FA Cup Semi-finals; 3rd, 4th & 5th place league finishes; Europe  ----  and all that the tattered remnants of the Chase Out Loons can spout is that it was all despite Chase and none of it because of him.

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]C*ck

[quote user="Depraved"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

C*ck
[/quote]

This must be the funniest post of the week [:D][:D]

Don''t get to come on here often now but this has made it worthwhile [:)]

Regardless of the rights and wrongs and whens and if''s

The Chaase era was the most successful period in the clubs history  and McCauley''s 59 ers the most popular (fan grabbing).

[quote user="The Butler"]

The Chaase era was the most successful period in the clubs history  and McCauley''s 59 ers the most popular (fan grabbing).

[/quote]Indeed you are correct Sir, but would the same men have the same success in today''s game? I''m not so sure, I don''t think we will ever see a "small" team like Norwich challenging for the top spot in the top division.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Indeed you are correct Sir, but would the same men have the same success in today''s game? I''m not so sure, I don''t think we will ever see a "small" team like Norwich challenging for the top spot in the top division.
[/quote]

Very unlikely Morty, that''s why it is important to remember our history as fact and NOT try to rewrite it with hindsight[:D]

[quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]Yes it was but then in recent years the Worthington times were the most successful under any manager, doesnt mean he should have stayed or that I would want him back as manager now. Times change and due to Chase''s refusal to back a succession of managers we missed out on the cash cow that the premier league became. Oh and City 1st, thanks for your well constructed and thought out comment.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]
Yes it was but then in recent years the Worthington times were the most successful under any manager, doesnt mean he should have stayed or that I would want him back as manager now. Times change and due to Chase''s refusal to back a succession of managers we missed out on the cash cow that the premier league became.

Oh and City 1st, thanks for your well constructed and thought out comment.
[/quote]

That could also apply to the backing that Worthy didn''t get (or what he wanted) so..........and we lost out again!

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

Well I''m still waiting for examples of this successful player trading that underpinned our success.

That''s probably the biggest lie on this thread......

Ohdear, oh dear, oh dear.....

The Butler''s right about re-writing history but surely even he wouldn''t claim successful player trading underpinned our success.

Once again - examples please.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

Well I''m still waiting for examples of this successful player trading that underpinned our success.

That''s probably the biggest lie on this thread......

Ohdear, oh dear, oh dear.....

The Butler''s right about re-writing history but surely even he wouldn''t claim successful player trading underpinned our success.

Once again - examples please.

[/quote]

Were else would the money to run the club over those years have come from?

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

And still no examples of this successful player trading that underpinned our success.

[/quote]

Perhaps the ''examples'' are not to be found on Wiki !!!

[;)]

I''m pretty sure I remember there being a double spread in the EDP, or it could even have been a national paper, detailing something like 20mil profit on players but no one knew where the money had gone.

[quote user="Downloads"]I''m pretty sure I remember there being a double spread in the EDP, or it could even have been a national paper, detailing something like 20mil profit on players but no one knew where the money had gone.[/quote]Big bad Bob''s back pocket![;)]

I''m neither pro nor anti Chase, instead I deal with facts which were in the case of Robert Chases spell with Norwich City -

His policy bringing players through from the youth and buying cheap players then selling for a fat profit while rebuilding the ground and buying land around the ground worked up until 1993 when his stubborn refusal to move away from this policy saw the best side we''ve ever had dismantled after the UEFA cup run and then the next season the downslide continued till relegation. Chase then struck lucky by managing to get Martin O Neil to the club who probably would have taken us back to the Premiership. Chase then upset him by refusing to sign Dean Windass, instead trying to apppease disgruntled supporters by bringing back former favourite but by then, past his best Robert Fleck. O Neil had enough and left, puppet on a string Megson was appointed and then the club turned into turmoil. We then had to sell messrs Newsome and Ashley Ward quickly to stave off the threat of a winding up order and it was at this time that nobody with any sense could dispute that Chase had taken the club as far as he could.

To summarise - he was good from 1985/1986 up until 1993 Chase was very good for the club. From late 1993 till his departure at the end of the 1995/96 season he wasn''t. The land deals he spent the clubs money on have benefited us in recent years but in the mid 1990''s cause us to get relegated from the top flight just as the big money started to flow in and this set the club back 10 years at least.

The present board are operating in a different era for football. The chances of a club the size of Norwich seriously challenging for the title are probably over and Norwich City FC despite being in the 2nd tier is the biggest it has ever been. The "little ole  Norwich" stereotype that Chase always used for holding back is no excuse these days cause we''re now getting nearly double the crowds we used to average in Chases days. Theres no reason if the club does all the right things, why we can''t eventually become one of the 12 biggest clubs in the Country in terms of both League standing and size of club!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I''m neither pro nor anti Chase, instead I deal with facts which were in the case of Robert Chases spell with Norwich City -

His policy bringing players through from the youth and buying cheap players then selling for a fat profit while rebuilding the ground and buying land around the ground worked up until 1993 when his stubborn refusal to move away from this policy saw the best side we''ve ever had dismantled after the UEFA cup run and then the next season the downslide continued till relegation. Chase then struck lucky by managing to get Martin O Neil to the club who probably would have taken us back to the Premiership. Chase then upset him by refusing to sign Dean Windass, instead trying to apppease disgruntled supporters by bringing back former favourite but by then, past his best Robert Fleck. O Neil had enough and left, puppet on a string Megson was appointed and then the club turned into turmoil. We then had to sell messrs Newsome and Ashley Ward quickly to stave off the threat of a winding up order and it was at this time that nobody with any sense could dispute that Chase had taken the club as far as he could.

To summarise - he was good from 1985/1986 up until 1993 Chase was very good for the club. From late 1993 till his departure at the end of the 1995/96 season he wasn''t. The land deals he spent the clubs money on have benefited us in recent years but in the mid 1990''s cause us to get relegated from the top flight just as the big money started to flow in and this set the club back 10 years at least.

The present board are operating in a different era for football. The chances of a club the size of Norwich seriously challenging for the title are probably over and Norwich City FC despite being in the 2nd tier is the biggest it has ever been. The "little ole  Norwich" stereotype that Chase always used for holding back is no excuse these days cause we''re now getting nearly double the crowds we used to average in Chases days. Theres no reason if the club does all the right things, why we can''t eventually become one of the 12 biggest clubs in the Country in terms of both League standing and size of club!

[/quote]

---

I don''t think it was just the dismantling that killed us. It was also that there was a limit to how many good players we could sell before it started to diminish the quality of the side.

The season we played in Europe you could actually draw up a pretty decent team of players we''d sold for big sums (many for at least a million) who were (I think) all either playing in the English top flight or the Scottish:

Woods, Sherwood. Bruce, Watson, Linighan, Phillips, Phelan, Townsend, Gordon, Roasario, Fleck.

In other words our resources had started to be stretched even before the post-Europe dismantling. Of course, that may have been financially necessary. Only Chase and a few others would really know.

[quote user="Downloads"]I''m pretty sure I remember there being a double spread in the EDP, or it could even have been a national paper, detailing something like 20mil profit on players but no one knew where the money had gone.[/quote]

No mystery.

Paying players, managers and coaches; investing in the youth system; investing in the ground etc.

Ask the auditors.

There''s no way that recurrent revenues at that time (read mainly gate receipts) could have sustained a recurrent budget necessary to maintain the club at top flight level over that 10 year period.

Sell high buy cheap. That''s what Chase did in order to fund the club from year to year. Watling and South did it as well.

And because they did it well we enjoyed 23 halcyon year from 1972 until 1995, until Chase messed up at the end.

Facts are facts.

Irrational hate is scary.

One love.

OTBC

Facts are facts.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

You should read and then re-read Purple''s post.

Those are the facts.

Irrational support with no regard to what happened is scarey.

And when he went it was if those 23 years never happened. We wre better under Lol Morgan.

That''s the truth and those are the facts.

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

All this makes me wonder why Gordon Bennett was placed in charge when Chase left and the first thing he had to do was lay off a large number of club staff and dismantle the Academy.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

All this makes me wonder why Gordon Bennett was placed in charge when Chase left and the first thing he had to do was lay off a large number of club staff and dismantle the Academy.

[/quote]

I''ve never denied that Chase messed up at the end.

So what''s your point?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what''s your point?

OTBC

[/quote]

"Tattered remnants of the Chase Out Loons" "Hate fills the air" etc etc etc....and you ask me what my point is?

Whatever do you put on your breakfast cereal?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Facts are facts.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Those are the facts.

And when he went it was if those 23 years never happened. We wre better under Lol Morgan.

[/quote]

No we weren''t because when Lol Morgan was here we''d never experienced such a 23 years.

Remind us now.

Who sold Jimmy Hill, and why?

Who sold Ron Davies,  and why?

Who sold Kevin Reeves, and why?

OTBC

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

But still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what''s your point?

OTBC

[/quote]

"Tattered remnants of the Chase Out Loons" "Hate fills the air" etc etc etc....and you ask me what my point is?

Whatever do you put on your breakfast cereal?

[/quote]

I don''t eat breakfast cereal.

[:P]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Facts are facts.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Those are the facts.

[/quote]

No we weren''t because when Lol Morgan was here we''d never experienced such a 23 years.

Remind us now.

Who sold Jimmy Hill, and why?

Who sold Ron Davies,  and why?

Who sold Kevin Reeves, and why?

OTBC

[/quote]

You forgot Justin Fashanu.....

Maybe he wasn''t on Wiki or maybe you............

[^o)]

I could answer your questions but why ever should I? I''ve continually asked you for examples of Chases successful player trading that underpinned our success and you either won''t or can''t answer.

Chase left this club in a worse state than when Watling took on Ron Saunders in 1969. We had your 23 years and ended further back than we were 27 years before. Why is that something you seem to show so much pride in?

To return to the original point of the thread.

What do you mean by ''push'', Bly? I understand it to mean taking a calculated risk to try and push the club to the next level.

I''ve been a City fan since 1985 and so remember pretty much all the Chase era and everything since.

The only ''push'' I can remember was the signing of Huckerby. I think that happened while Delia was in charge.

God!

The debate about Chase I fear will outlive the man himself!

The bottom line is Norwich Citys team had the best spell in the clubs history during Chases era, that can''t be disputed, but in the end Chase needed to change tact, something he didn''t and we subsequently got left by the Premiership gravytrain!

That is all history and we should now look to the present and the future!

The present board set up and football management  offers the club the best chance of getting back into the top flight and reestablishing ourselves in it and making the club bigger than it ever was under "little ole Norwich" Chase!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]To return to the original point of the thread. What do you mean by ''push'', Bly? I understand it to mean taking a calculated risk to try and push the club to the next level. I''ve been a City fan since 1985 and so remember pretty much all the Chase era and everything since. The only ''push'' I can remember was the signing of Huckerby. I think that happened while Delia was in charge.[/quote]

And I think you are spot on Robert.

Without wanting to start another argument, because it really is a matter of opinion, but I don''t believe are best team of Chases era was the team that finished 3rd in the Premier and went on to famously win in Munich. For me the best team was a few years before. Easter 1989 saw us 2nd in the league, 3 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and about to play in the FA Cup Semi-Final against an Everton side who were well below us in the league. The league and Cup double was really on and we may never get so close again. Surely some sort of push was neccessary before the transfer deadline that season. A big push would have seen a top striker signed. But there was no push whatsoever from Big Bob with his small club mentality.

This is history and the re-writing of history on this thread is by those who sweep such things under the carpet. Chase didn''t build on that success either. The next season we saw Townsend and Linighan sold for millions being replaced by Polston, Blades and Woodthorpe. The fans were protesting with good reason.

If Chase had shown even part of the ambition shown by the club when we brought Huckerby in 2003 things could have been very different.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

God!

The debate about Chase I fear will outlive the man himself!

The bottom line is Norwich Citys team had the best spell in the clubs history during Chases era, that can''t be disputed, but in the end Chase needed to change tact, something he didn''t and we subsequently got left by the Premiership gravytrain!

That is all history and we should now look to the present and the future!

The present board set up and football management  offers the club the best chance of getting back into the top flight and reestablishing ourselves in it and making the club bigger than it ever was under "little ole Norwich" Chase!

[/quote]

Oh so true.

Bly should try getting out more, there''s a big world outside of his time warp.

Under Chase (and yes he did do some good things) he got away with selling our best players for large profits and replacing them for cheaper an inferior players, topped up with a good youth policy bringing through young players that he could go on and sell for yet more profit.  What Chase failed to see was this was a policy that would eventually come back to bite us big time in the arse.  We kept putting together great teams only to dismantle them as soon as there was a bid on the table for any of our players whose stock had risen.  As pointed out Chase had that little old Norwich mentality and I and I''m sure many other fans fans used to dispare at the time, there really was no reason why we couldnt continue to compete if we could manage to hold onto some of our better players and please dont tell me it was because they all wanted to leave for bigger and better clubs because that was not the case, it was just down to "show me the money."  More importantly Chase also failed to see the changes coming, how big the Premeir league would become and therefore how important it was to stay in it and the amount of money involved in competing in what was to become arguably the biggest league in the world.  His attitude was "Ah well if we do get relegated no worries we will come back up next year"  The rest they say is history, and a stance we have yet to fully recover from.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]To return to the original point of the thread. What do you mean by ''push'', Bly? I understand it to mean taking a calculated risk to try and push the club to the next level. I''ve been a City fan since 1985 and so remember pretty much all the Chase era and everything since. The only ''push'' I can remember was the signing of Huckerby. I think that happened while Delia was in charge.[/quote]

And I think you are spot on Robert.

Without wanting to start another argument, because it really is a matter of opinion, but I don''t believe are best team of Chases era was the team that finished 3rd in the Premier and went on to famously win in Munich. For me the best team was a few years before. Easter 1989 saw us 2nd in the league, 3 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and about to play in the FA Cup Semi-Final against an Everton side who were well below us in the league. The league and Cup double was really on and we may never get so close again. Surely some sort of push was neccessary before the transfer deadline that season. A big push would have seen a top striker signed. But there was no push whatsoever from Big Bob with his small club mentality.

This is history and the re-writing of history on this thread is by those who sweep such things under the carpet. Chase didn''t build on that success either. The next season we saw Townsend and Linighan sold for millions being replaced by Polston, Blades and Woodthorpe. The fans were protesting with good reason.

If Chase had shown even part of the ambition shown by the club when we brought Huckerby in 2003 things could have been very different.

[/quote]

I totally agree with you on this Nutty but i just wonder what the buffoon across the pond will come up with in response.Somehow i do not expect anything constructive will be said in reply to your post or what Ernie has also posted.