permission to speak to Paul Lambert about their managerial vacancy,

that permission has not been granted. Under no circumstances would the

Club wish to grant permission.

The Club will fight tooth and nail to retain the services of Paul

Lambert and his team, during this critical period of the season, and

whilst they remain employed under a long-term contract. The Club remain

committed to Paul and his team in the long term, and see them as a

vital part of our future plans.

Just means if he wants the job he will walk out. Nothing in that statement about Lambert wanting to stay at City.

According to the BBC website there''s a video of him saying he''s going nowhere. I''m sure he''ll be here all season. Realistically I can''t see him going, unless it''s to a bigger club than Norwich, sometime in the future. I feel he can achieve alot of his ambitions here.

I like to think he and McNally are a great act.

The wording of the response is interesting - sounds like the Club/McNally are more than a bit annoyed with Burnley - and quite rightly so.

Of course, it doesn''t mean anything in real terms. Lambert could yet do to us what he did to Col U, but it shows the club will try to keep him and the compensation is now ratcheted up higher.

Sky Sports News are reporting this as the official statements are being updated on the official club websites.PL has two options: stay, or walk. Guess we''ll find out tomorrow.I pray and hope it was Burnley trying to unsettle us as a club. Look at what happens when a team thinks an influential person may leave, only need to use the Leeds/Beckford example from last year of what can happen when a team is unsettled!

Long term contract?

I thought Lambert was on a year''s rolling contract?  Of which my understanding is that he always has a year on his contract, every morning he wakes up he has a year''s contract, it doesn''t run down to 0 days and then get renewed.  Might be wrong though?[:^)]

Well its Lamberts call now the board have done all they can, but why deny permission if they thought Lambert had no intention of going ?? We will now find out in the morning what is going to happen either Lambert will do his press con and say they can run and jump or he will walk out. If he has any thoughts of going to Burnley there is no way he will manage the team on Saturday.

Should he decide to go we should put him on garden leave until the end of the transfer window after all Burnley set that example with Coyle

Based on the wording I would imagine that this all happened earlier todayand that Burnley have gone public about it late this evening in order to get it out there overnight with the maximum time before they expected us to publically reply.

I don''t understand the rules that the FA have in place.

I thought that any approach to a player or manager through anything but the official channels is considered to be an illegal approach.

So they sent a letter to the board which is an official approach, and then slapped it all over the papers - which is effectively an illegal approach.

Clubs should be punished for making public things like this.

I can understand managers saying in post match conferences things like ''Tevez pounded us today, but then he is a top top player and any manager would bite your hand off to have a player like that at his disposal.''

But to say that you have approached a club for a certain player is a message to the player and not the club - no wonder McNally is narked.

On top of that I though Lambert signed a new deal in the summer after promotion, I could be wrong but I seem to remember something along those lines.

Don''t like the sound of the ''fighting tooth and nail'' bit. This sounds like the sort of situation that would happen if Burnley had talked to NCFC and Lambert (obviously it would be naive to think they had only talked to NCFC), and NCFC had said no but Lambert had shown an interest.  The next logical step if you are Burnley would be to reiterate their desire to talk to PL via the media to put more pressure on Norwich to accept and to show PL that they wanted him badly - which he would like.  Think about the whole situation is, for PL, it''s not a wise move.  At Burnley yes he''s got funds but looking at past successes in the Championship tells us money doesn''t buy you promotion - you just need a reasonably talented bunch of players (which most teams have), and get them on a run.. Once confidence is up thats how you get promotion... in other words all I''m saying is it would be a risky job for PL to take.  He would know this as well (surely??).  Thing about championship is it''s such a graveyard for managers because it''s so tight - everyone''s about the same, the teams that succeed don''t really succeed because they''re better, they just get on a run.  And therefore it''s quite likely that even though we all know PL is a great manager he might easily go to Burnley and for some reason they won''t get the results - might easily happen because it''s the Championship.  He would be better off sticking at Norwich until a Prem team comes along - then its a clear step up for him and any good he does as a manager actually gets noticed as there''s much more analysis etc.All this long message does is tell everyone how stressed I am about the whole situation when all I want to do is go to sleep!!Haha has anyone become so devoted to PL over the past year that they have read his autobiography?? I have!! That is all, good night everyone.

I think Burnley thought they were doing things officially- learning their lesson from the Owen Coyle debacle- as to the professionalism in announcing it on their official site, I''m not sure? Is there a precedent in doing so? They probably consider it a win / win situation- if permission is granted, everything has been done correctly. If permission is denied (which it was) it increases the possibility of a rift between PL and NCFC or starting disruption in the squad- either of which would be to Burnley''s advantage.What happens in the next few working hours is interesting. If PL doesn''t appear at tomorrow''s press conference I think we will all know the game is up, he''s off. If he does turn up and pledges loyalty to the club then good news in the short term. If Avram Grant gets the push next week it will all start again- you can bet West Ham haven''t failed to notice the possibility that PL may be unsettled.          

In all honesty I think this means he is staying. If he walks now we would get no compensation, so if he had intention of leaving then I am sure we would have granted them permission so we could try and get a bit of money out of them. McNally will know what Paul wants, so it would make no sense to let someone that valuable walk out for free. I think the ''fight tooth and nails'' bit is simply a warning to other clubs that if they want him it wont be easy, and a lot of money will be involved. I expect Lamber to turn up tomorrow and act like nothing has ever happened.

"They probably consider it a win / win situation"

eh ! ! !

They go public AFTER (as it appears) they have already been knocked back they look incompetent.

They go public THEN get knocked back they look to have failed.

They go public then do not land Lambert they look second rate

The only way they can win is by signing Lambert, Procude him as a done deal and you look go. Wobble your gob first then fail and you merely make an ar$e of yourself.

We shall have to see why City feel they have to fight tooth and nail

interesting times.......

I remember when Walker ****ed off to Everton.  We stuffed them 3-0 and the crowd sang, ''This is what you left us for?''  Moral of the story, Lambert ****s off, the new manager gets us up through the playoffs.  Lambert  remains in the Championship.

If Lambert goes, he goes. Not a lot we can do about it, is there?And besides, if he does go then we''ll be in for Malky and have gone a full circle since the 1-7 v Colchester, ie. manager poaching.What will be, will be.....OTBC!!

[quote user="City1st"]"They probably consider it a win / win situation"

eh ! ! ! ....etc etc [/quote]Why ''go public'' then if they did not have to? (assuming they didn''t have to, hence my question above).They''ve

only done so because either 1) By an underhand (read illegal) method

it''s a done deal and they are mitigating their liability for future

compensation or penalty

when the accusations of an illegal approach are made (see NCFC / CUFC

circa March 2010) or 2) They are seeking to promote a rift between PL

and NCFC with the increased possibility of him walking out and/or

disruption within the playing and coaching staff or 3) They are being

massively cautious having had their fingers burned in the Owen Coyle

situation.   Agree that it will be interesting to see what ''tooth and nail'' means....[:)]    

[quote user="Jonny Raceway"]If Lambert goes, he goes. Not a lot we can do about it, is there?And besides, if he does go then we''ll be in for Malky and have gone a full circle since the 1-7 v Colchester, ie. manager poaching.What will be, will be.....[/quote]Agree completely, I had a quick look on a Watford forum and many have resigned themselves to losing Malky to us if Lambo goes..., several comments that MM has confided in friends that he''d love to come back to Norwich.    

Going public with their interest could mean many things (good and bad for us....)

Lambert has shown an interest in the job, they want to make their interest public, making NCFC think they will have to let him go if they are that confidant...

Burnley think they need to go public to try and persuade Lambert they are the club for him? (showing their ambition)

Trying to keep other manager-less clubs off the scent of their real target? (Maybe make one of the other clubs think Lambert is the man they want, while Burnley go quietly after another target :P) probably a bit unrealistic....

Or anything else :P

Basically, their is nothing we can do...

I think Lambert will stay, i don''t see why a move to Burnley would help him.....

But if he doesn''t want to stay, get rid of him ASAP as it shows he is not very loyal if he really thinks a job at a team lower in the league is a better option....)

Personally, I think there is a major possibility Lambert goes.  Not so

much for football reasons.  Sure, Burnley could give him a bigger

transfer kitty, but more because he never moved his family to Norwich. 

They are still in Scotland.  Obviously Burnley is much closer to Scotland than

Norwich.

I also don''t think Burnley would publicly post on their official

site that they approached Norwich to seek permission to speak to

Lambert without some back-channel indication that Lambert wouldn''t mind

a dialogue.

My hope is that Burnley and Norwich can come to an understanding

that if we don''t get promoted this year, Lambert can leave to wherever

he wants and Norwich wouldn''t stand in his way.  I just fear if he

leaves now, our current promotion push could be damaged.

Whilst I agree there is the family argument, why now? Wycombe, Colchester and now us who are joint second in the league with a chance of him being only the second manager to achieve back to back promotions in to the premier league? He could at least wait until the summer. I think if he does go, something has happend in the background which has angered him, nothing to do with family ties I dont think

[quote user="canary_girl"]Whilst I agree there is the family argument, why now? Wycombe, Colchester and now us who are joint second in the league with a chance of him being only the second manager to achieve back to back promotions in to the premier league? He could at least wait until the summer. I think if he does go, something has happend in the background which has angered him, nothing to do with family ties I dont think[/quote]Spot onPeople commute away to work all the time, football and football managers are no different ! This has fudge all to do with Lamberts proximity or lack of in regards to his family.