Sign in to follow this  
Notts Canary

Academy players released – mistake?

The following players have been released: Adam Smith, Lee Blackburn, Olly Willis and Nicky Howell.  I have personally not seen them play but just wandered if anybody has, if they think we will live to regret it?

[quote]No, can you name anybody in the last ten years who has been let go and gone on to be a class player[/quote]

I may be pushing it a bit but.....Bobby Zamora???

I expect there not saying they can''t make it at any level, just not Premiership or Fizzy Championship.

I said in the last ten years, obviously Dublin and Fash were two we were wrong to let go. The others have done a job in the third division - nuff said

Its a shame. i''ve seen a fair bit of them play and have always been impressed by Willis. Smith looks talented too. The problem with our youth players these days seems to be that they are all so small and lightweight. I can''t remember the last time we produced a big strong midfielder from our academy. They all seem to be small and skillful!

This is a difficult area - the subject of young players and is one I am very interested in (and concerned about).

Ultimately you have to respect the decisions of people like Ricky Martin and David Williams (who would have made the recommendation I assume) and Worthy who then decided.

I am surprised in 2 of the names. Adam Smith - I thought he had always been highly rated and is this not the same Adam Smith who was in the squad over Christmas with all the injuries? If so, it seems very strange he was good enough for that but now not to be given a professional contract?

Lee Blackburn - only seen him once (last years FA Youth Cup v The Blades) but he was excellent. I remember saying to another fan that night that he and Crowe were clearly the best of the bunch. He got stuck in, used the ball well and could get into the box and score goals.

With both players a lot may have happened - loss of form, poor attitude, off field distractions - we simply don''t know but if these two WERE amongst the very best in the Academy then that says very little for our genuine  commitment to developing our own youngsters.

To be fair to the club though, they see these boys every day and usually the decision is correct. I can go back 20 years to the team that won the FA Youth Cup in ''83. Only ONE of those then made it to the first team and that was Jerry Goss who, at the time, was arguably one of the least impressive!

I still say though that Worthy is far too cautious with youngsters. So many comments this season (and actions) back this up. For example, the ridiculous waste of money to have THREE first team goalies. Worth pointing out that NEITHER back up has yet to play a first team game!  I know that both have had injury spells but Joe Lewis should have been on the bench when that happened. He was good enough last season but obviously not this season - WHY!!! Oh, I forgot, how could a 17 year old possibly handle the intimidating atmosphere of Anfield or Old Trafford - that was Worthy''s excuse if you recall. ''Atmosphere'' - at those grounds for a match v NCFC, don''t make me laugh. I went to Anfield, it was a morgue.           

[quote]Paul Hayes Scunthorpe Nuff said Darren way banging them in at Yeovil Dion Dublin John Fashanu[/quote]

Darren Way is a little chap who would never be div one quality!! he would get beaten off the ball and would struggle!! sorry!!

to me the point is how good are the players who are younger than them? if these lads are 19 ? they are going to be too old to be youth team so do we just keep players on to be reserve team players for the next two or three years in hope they are late developers ?

and no disrespect to anyone but one or two good youth team games don''t compare to seeing them train every day