Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Having reflected on things overnight and heard the first snippets from the press conference

As baffled as we all might be by why I think Lambert wants to go. I can''t believe Burnley had not had discussions with his agent before the approach and his refusal to rule it out this morning only serves to re-enforce the impression that there is clearly something in this.

Ultimately, if he wants to go there is not much we can do about it. Yes lets not pretend it won''t be a blow, it will be. He is a good manager and will be a loss. However, we all knew deep down what he was like and that it was only a matter of time until he left us. If he doesn''t leave us for Burnley it will only be a matter of time before another job comes along and in the interim it is clear his agent will be putting him in the mix for any job going. This will continue to be hugely unsettling for the club.

Therefore my regretful conclusion is that if he wants to go (and he may yet say he deosn''t but I think it looks more and more unlikely) we should negotiate substantial compensation and get an agreement that he won''t try to sign any of our players and let him move to tinpot Burnley if thats where he wants to be. I say this on the basis that (as big a loss as it will be) we do now have a board who i have faith in when trying to find a new manager. Norwich City is a big club. We are third in the table and have a reasonable chance of going up. There will be no shortage of interest in our job and there are lots of good managers available at the moment. Most importantly i trust Mcnally to get us the right man again. I spoke to him at a dinner almost a year to the day ago when lambert was being linked with Burnley before. When i asked him about Lambert going he simply said that he doubted it would happen but that if it did, we would simply go out and get someone just as good or better to replace him. If lambert wants to leave us now, that is what we must do. Yes it will be gutting but we are a proper football club, a proud football club and we are bigger than Paul Lambert. It will hurt but we must simply puff out our chests and get on with it.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

As baffled as we all might be by why I think Lambert wants to go. I can''t believe Burnley had not had discussions with his agent before the approach and his refusal to rule it out this morning only serves to re-enforce the impression that there is clearly something in this.

Ultimately, if he wants to go there is not much we can do about it. Yes lets not pretend it won''t be a blow, it will be. He is a good manager and will be a loss. However, we all knew deep down what he was like and that it was only a matter of time until he left us. If he doesn''t leave us for Burnley it will only be a matter of time before another job comes along and in the interim it is clear his agent will be putting him in the mix for any job going. This will continue to be hugely unsettling for the club.

Therefore my regretful conclusion is that if he wants to go (and he may yet say he deosn''t but I think it looks more and more unlikely) we should negotiate substantial compensation and get an agreement that he won''t try to sign any of our players and let him move to tinpot Burnley if thats where he wants to be. I say this on the basis that (as big a loss as it will be) we do now have a board who i have faith in when trying to find a new manager. Norwich City is a big club. We are third in the table and have a reasonable chance of going up. There will be no shortage of interest in our job and there are lots of good managers available at the moment. Most importantly i trust Mcnally to get us the right man again. I spoke to him at a dinner almost a year to the day ago when lambert was being linked with Burnley before. When i asked him about Lambert going he simply said that he doubted it would happen but that if it did, we would simply go out and get someone just as good or better to replace him. If lambert wants to leave us now, that is what we must do. Yes it will be gutting but we are a proper football club, a proud football club and we are bigger than Paul Lambert. It will hurt but we must simply puff out our chests and get on with it.

[/quote]

great post couldnt agree more, i would happily take the like of houghton !!!! no compo and done fantastic job at newcastle cant believe he was ever sacked

Absolutely spot on, OP. No way we''d have even had Lambert if not for McNally. He''s the man who set the ball rolling in terms of our dramatic turnaround in fortunes; no way on earth that McNally would allow us to appoint another Grant or Roeder. He''s raised the bar, and when Lambert goes (hopefully not in the next week!) then McNally has to be able to jump that bar. And he will.

This speculation has been going on since the weekend on the Burnley messageboards and they seemed confident even then that they were getting Lambert and even said it would all come to a head towards the end of this week . Its quite clear Lambert or his agent have met with their people and he wants out , best to ship him out asap and get somebody in to try and keep us in the top 6.

I agree Wxyz and if thats the case and this has been going on behind the scenes for a while now I would be amazed if Mcnally hadn''t put out feelers already to potential successors and may even have someone lined up.

Post of the day we forget it is McNally who saved this club not Lambert. IMO if Lambert goes we must put him on leave until the end of the transfer window a precedent set by Burnley themselves. The likes of Holt should double in value should Burnley come calling. The club have never needed us more to band together Lambert or not McNally has us on the verge of great things - who knows who he would appoint but Hodgson springs to mind 

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Post of the day we forget it is McNally who saved this club not Lambert. IMO if Lambert goes we must put him on leave until the end of the transfer window a precedent set by Burnley themselves. The likes of Holt should double in value should Burnley come calling. The club have never needed us more to band together Lambert or not McNally has us on the verge of great things - who knows who he would appoint but Hodgson springs to mind [/quote]

McNally saved us not Lambert? McNally has us on the verge of great things? If Lambert goes put him on leave? If he''s gone why would we then put him on leave! Ha ha, twaddle.

Have a word with yourself mate and get over the McNally thing, yes he brought Lambert in but that was 18 months ago, we are where we are cause of Lambert, Holt and the rest if the team, not McNally.

I agree with the level headed analysis of the OP in the event that Lambert goes to Burnley. But i don''t think he''ll go. We all know he''s too good to stay with Norwich forever, but now is not the time. No question he wants to manage in the Premier League. If he moved to Burnley it would be because he thinks he has a better chance of getting there with them. In the short term they might be better resourced but he would have to start all over again, build new relationships at board level that may not be as good as the ones he has with us, and of course build a new squad. And the Burnely board remember, is one who appointed their last manager on the advice of accountants. That tells you all you need to know. They are a smaller club in the overcrowded northwest, and with far less potential than us to establish themselves in the Premier. They got lucky with their own Lambert type manager in Owen Coyle but i see their visit to the Premier League as a one off.

An excellent post from the Op, one which fills me with renewed hope and optimism.

OTBC!!!