Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Has the damage already been done?

The fact that PL was non-commital this morning at the press conference is worrying. He might have said that he was happy here, to retract this later when he leaves. His attitude seemed to show a determination to leave, for whatever reason - nearer family or more funds to work with, etc.

The effect on team morale may be imagined, whatever the outcome, and the effect on supporters also. It''s something of a slap in the face.

If there is a portracted dispute between the clubs, this will not help morale. Our concentration should be on signing players to ensure a top finish in May.

It is said that PL and McNally had a meeting before the press conference, and that his answers were those agreed. If so it looks as if NCFC may have accepted the inevitable and are merely trying to maximise what they can get from compensation.

Even if somehow Burnley finish by appointing someone else, (- unlikely because as we showed with Colchester if you are prepared to pay you can always get your man), damage will have been done. PL will not have the same standing among players and fans, because he could not say that he was happy at CR.

I think that his departure seems very likely, so we in turn must look for someone who could deal with the morale problem and sign one or two players quickly, or else we are looking at a mid or lower table finish.Our problem is that most available ex-managers are tainted with failure.

I am sorry to be pessimistic but, as I have suggested, the damage seems to have been done already.

He''s here until he''s gone.  He''s not gone anywhere, and as nutty said on another thread, the report could just as easily have said "Lambert happy not to talk to Burnley".In the words of Michael Winner - Calm Down Dear.

[quote user="Salopian"]The fact that PL was non-commital this morning at the press conference is worrying. He might have said that he was happy here, to retract this later when he leaves. His attitude seemed to show a determination to leave, for whatever reason - nearer family or more funds to work with, etc. The effect on team morale may be imagined, whatever the outcome, and the effect on supporters also. It''s something of a slap in the face. If there is a portracted dispute between the clubs, this will not help morale. Our concentration should be on signing players to ensure a top finish in May. It is said that PL and McNally had a meeting before the press conference, and that his answers were those agreed. If so it looks as if NCFC may have accepted the inevitable and are merely trying to maximise what they can get from compensation. Even if somehow Burnley finish by appointing someone else, (- unlikely because as we showed with Colchester if you are prepared to pay you can always get your man), damage will have been done. PL will not have the same standing among players and fans, because he could not say that he was happy at CR. I think that his departure seems very likely, so we in turn must look for someone who could deal with the morale problem and sign one or two players quickly, or else we are looking at a mid or lower table finish.Our problem is that most available ex-managers are tainted with failure. I am sorry to be pessimistic but, as I have suggested, the damage seems to have been done already.[/quote]

Talk about reading between the lines, never seen so much assumption gleaned from so little information.

He might have simply been told to not comment. He does not need to say anything if he is not going anywhere and he is a man of few words.