Sign in to follow this  
xxxx

Burnley ask to speak to Lambert

I may actually cry if this happens.  After 2 or 3 seasons of pure and utter rubbish, last season we finally started getting what we as a fan base deserve for our commitment.  Lambert and the new board have put faith in each and every one of us, what he has done to this club and what he has given us can not be replaced, we are on the cusp of something potentially brilliant this season once again, and if Lambert goes now I have no doubts that it will all go down the pan.  Absolutely gutted if he goes, gutted.

Googler you are right Burnley is closer to home but it''s still a good three hours from Burnley to Glasgow so it''s hardly commutable and if he''s going to fly then it''s not really that much harder to fly from Norwich or where ever we are playing away from home. didn''t he fly home after the Bristol City game from Bristol?

Davo

[quote user="Old Shuck"]It''s been dragging on for too long not to be happening.

The rumours about him and Burnley started a week ago, and, in all that time, not one words from Lambert or the club denying either that specific rumour or a general one committing his future to the club.

He seems to think he has taken us as afar as he can-all these remarks about "survival", "staying up" etc, does that mean thats all he thinks he can do here and that promotion isn''t going to happen?

He made that comment about players, if they needed to be sold, it would cause "trouble", maybe there were signs of discontent when he made that statement, maybe he was already considering his options then, was there money promised that he hasn''t seen, was the signing of Wilbraham symbolic of how we were going to strengthen the squad, was that the straw that broke the camels back??

He''s hugely ambitious, and, if he gets Burnley up and then moves on again, will they be THAT bothered if he has at least got them back into the Premier League? Doubt it. But, for us, his leaving now would be about as bad a time as you can imagine, we have momentum, confidence, a dressing room behind him, wanting to play for him. Maybe (ao many "maybe''s") if he does move on, then staying up will be the best we can hope for anyway?

And whats McNally''s role in all of this, he has been remarkably quiet of late. Has there been a fall out? is he negotiating with Burnley, has he written Lambert off and is prepared to let him go?

Quite honestly, if Lambert wants to go, lets not try to persuade him to stay. if he wants out, let him go, and lets get whatever we can from Burnley for him. If that is the case, the sooner he fucks off, the better as far as I am concerned. He was "bubbling under" at Colchester, but it is this club that has made him and made his reputation as a Manager, and this club that has backed him with money that we don''t have.

Its football, we did it to Colchester, now it is being done to us, it is likely we will approach a Manager in work ourselves to replace him, that is the way of things.

Let him go by all means, but if he does go, then one thing the club must do is resolutely deny Burnley any chance to speak to any of our players, at all, any time, period. Because he will, sure as hell, want to take some of them with him. Holt for certain-and you think he (Holt) might just be interested.

The real test for our Board will be the calibre of the man they seek to replace him with. Do we think and act big-or fumble around and appoint another soft and easy option?[/quote]

Lambert talking about survival isn''t a shock , he''s dpoing exactly as he should , not putting pressure on the players .

I live with a Burnley fan, and the general consensus amongst their lot is that they''d have him but they''re dubious and apparently Kevin Keegan has been in Burnley today for talks. A lot of sympathy coming our from them due to their situation with Coyle.

[quote user="Hunter106"]Oh and also, I think I read in the canary preview magazine somewhere, and someone earlier may have suggested this also, but im 99% sure that Lambert''s family had moved to East Anglia in the summer. So the pull of the family shouldnt be a factor......[/quote]Is anyone willing to back that? Can''t recall reading anything along those lines myself.I''d of expected it to have been highlighted more so than it has, this being the first time i''ve noticed a poster say this, in contrast to the many who consider family location to still be an issue for Lambert.

They surely have to be careful with ST renewals coming up. To let Lambert go would be bad enough, but to allow the likes of Holt, Hooly, Barnet and Surman to go as well would be disastrous. And if the club don''t do everything to keep them and once more show a lack of ambition they can shove their ST''s.

How would they expect to get the supporters to renew if the club is seen to fall apart and they all leave for TURDmore?

[quote user="yoda"]

The real test for our Board will be the calibre of the man they seek to replace him with. Do we think and act big-or fumble around and appoint another soft and easy option?[/quote]Culverhouse to step up?

[quote user="claud"][quote user="yoda"]

The real test for our Board will be the calibre of the man they seek to replace him with. Do we think and act big-or fumble around and appoint another soft and easy option?[/quote]Culverhouse to step up?[/quote]He''d more than likely go with Lambert as they''ve worked together as a team for quite a while now.

I suggest we all start buying up the tickets for the Orient game and start singing our hearts out in support and convince him to stay the only way we know how.

If this rumour was based purely on betting odds then I would not be too worried. The book for the next Burnley manager is not going to be particularly large so it would only take a couple of misguided punters betting big to bring his price right down. However, the fact that Burnley have now asked for permission to speak to PL suggests that something is up. You wouldn''t do that unless you had spoken to his agent to gauge the likelihood of him jumping ship I wouldn''t have thought.Has he been told he needs to sell in January? We might look down on Burnley as a smaller club, with some justification, but you''re looking at £23million worth of debts compared to four years of parachute payments.We need a statement from the club and/or PL pretty quick or this starts to look like a done deal.

There is a press conference with Lambert every Friday so things should be clearer by lunch time tomorrow. On some other points, I remember Lambert saying he doesn''t have an agent when he signed for Norwich, would be interesting if that situation has changed now. I have a feeling that Burnley may have already been told they can''t speak to Lambert, and this is a way of sending a clear message to Lambert that they want him, and if he wants to go to Burnley he should start to make some noise -- as he did at Colchester.Will karma get us?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]It''s been dragging on for too long not to be happening.

The rumours about him and Burnley started a week ago, and, in all that time, not one words from Lambert or the club denying either that specific rumour or a general one committing his future to the club.

He seems to think he has taken us as afar as he can-all these remarks about "survival", "staying up" etc, does that mean thats all he thinks he can do here and that promotion isn''t going to happen?

He made that comment about players, if they needed to be sold, it would cause "trouble", maybe there were signs of discontent when he made that statement, maybe he was already considering his options then, was there money promised that he hasn''t seen, was the signing of Wilbraham symbolic of how we were going to strengthen the squad, was that the straw that broke the camels back??

He''s hugely ambitious, and, if he gets Burnley up and then moves on again, will they be THAT bothered if he has at least got them back into the Premier League? Doubt it. But, for us, his leaving now would be about as bad a time as you can imagine, we have momentum, confidence, a dressing room behind him, wanting to play for him. Maybe (ao many "maybe''s") if he does move on, then staying up will be the best we can hope for anyway?

And whats McNally''s role in all of this, he has been remarkably quiet of late. Has there been a fall out? is he negotiating with Burnley, has he written Lambert off and is prepared to let him go?

Quite honestly, if Lambert wants to go, lets not try to persuade him to stay. if he wants out, let him go, and lets get whatever we can from Burnley for him. If that is the case, the sooner he fucks off, the better as far as I am concerned. He was "bubbling under" at Colchester, but it is this club that has made him and made his reputation as a Manager, and this club that has backed him with money that we don''t have.

Its football, we did it to Colchester, now it is being done to us, it is likely we will approach a Manager in work ourselves to replace him, that is the way of things.

Let him go by all means, but if he does go, then one thing the club must do is resolutely deny Burnley any chance to speak to any of our players, at all, any time, period. Because he will, sure as hell, want to take some of them with him. Holt for certain-and you think he (Holt) might just be interested.

The real test for our Board will be the calibre of the man they seek to replace him with. Do we think and act big-or fumble around and appoint another soft and easy option?[/quote]Sorry i dont look to attack people for thier opinions and views, but this statement is ridiculus, i cant believe u just wasted a good 10 mins of your life writting that. I''m not gonna start to point out the flaws in your argument, the whole thing is absurd, I hope your just looking to get some debate going ''cos otherwise u must live in a very depressed world being so pessimistic

...also came onto the pitch at the end of the QPR game to wave to the fans - doesn''t do that every game, but then the QPR game was pretty special, so maybe that''s normal behaviour.  DAMN IT I CAN''T THINK STRAIGHT.  Statement now, please.

Just seen this & trying to not panic yet!! Could this be Lambert just playing ''hardball'' with Delia & McNally so they back him with more cash in the transfer window?Think we will just have to wait until the morning to know, as others have said if the club doesn''t come out with statement pretty much 1st thing tomorrow to confirm that he is going nowhere....then I think we can assume he''s on his way.  Martin O''Neil all over again!!

[quote user="yellowdamien"][quote user="Urban heat island"]How often are bookies wrong ?........Malky Mackay is doing a fine job at the Hornets.....Keep the faith!!Paul Lambert now odds-on with bookies for Burnley post - The Scotsman

[/quote]

That link is from Jan 2010.[/quote]Yep and it proves the bookies'' odds don''t mean that that person will get the job. I even understood that [:S]

The idea of Holt leaving would be a massive concern also as during Movember, I followed Holt on Twitter, and he was travelling up tonsee his family almost every other night either by train or with Micheal Nelson.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands"][quote user="claud"][quote user="yoda"]

The real test for our Board will be the calibre of the man they seek to replace him with. Do we think and act big-or fumble around and appoint another soft and easy option?[/quote]Culverhouse to step up?[/quote]He''d more than likely go with Lambert as they''ve worked together as a team for quite a while now.[/quote]I agree. But, this is the club where he spent his best playing days, and unlike Gunn he has some experience. Would it not tempt you to step out of the shadows at least once?

It can''t really be too much of a surprise that a club without a manager would want to look at Lambert as he''s proving to be very promising; Burnley must have some ££ available what with their parachute payments, so I guess they will probably turn his head.

But I have to say that from Lambert''s side of things it would be a bit of a strange move, given where we currently are: top 3 with a squad that he''s built and with some of our best players soon to be returning from injury. I know that if it was me I''d hang about to see it through at least until the Summer. If we went up there would always be the possibility of more ££ if that is an issue. If we didn''t I always had it in mind that he''d probably be off to a just-relegated/lower Prem side.

I guess whatever happens will happen - imo he has been good for the club, but there are other managers out there who I''m sure can take us forward; Lambert is certainly not the only one out there.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Hunter106"]Oh and also, I think I read in the canary preview magazine somewhere, and someone earlier may have suggested this also, but im 99% sure that Lambert''s family had moved to East Anglia in the summer. So the pull of the family shouldnt be a factor......[/quote]

Is anyone willing to back that? Can''t recall reading anything along those lines myself.

I''d of expected it to have been highlighted more so than it has, this being the first time i''ve noticed a poster say this, in contrast to the many who consider family location to still be an issue for Lambert.
[/quote]

I may be wrong but it was something that must have triggered in my mind when I read this. I believe he said something along the lines of that he was happy now that his family had made the move down here, and I think someone on the 606 board said that his family live in Newmarket.

I cannot see why this wouldnt be true as I can''t see him constantly visiting his family, especially with the commitments of training etc. and how exactly do people know that he flew to Scotland after the Bristol Match? Is not something that would be widely publicised either...

The rumours have been bubbling for too long for their not to be something in it. They would not have made an approach without having the nod from his agent first. He definitely pointedly waved to the fans after the QPR game for longer than usual. Very, very disappointing and if it happens a prime example of how sky money and parachute payments have distorted football. Bl**dy Burnley for gods sake!

[quote user="claud"][quote user="Woman in the Stands"][quote user="claud"][quote user="yoda"]

The real test for our Board will be the calibre of the man they seek to replace him with. Do we think and act big-or fumble around and appoint another soft and easy option?[/quote]Culverhouse to step up?[/quote]He''d more than likely go with Lambert as they''ve worked together as a team for quite a while now.[/quote]I agree. But, this is the club where he spent his best playing days, and unlike Gunn he has some experience. Would it not tempt you to step out of the shadows at least once?[/quote]Despite Culverhouses''s experience, it is limited. Would the club risk trying out another unproven manager?

[quote user="Hunter106"]

[quote user="John"][quote user="Hunter106"]Oh and also, I think I read in the canary preview magazine somewhere, and someone earlier may have suggested this also, but im 99% sure that Lambert''s family had moved to East Anglia in the summer. So the pull of the family shouldnt be a factor......[/quote]

Is anyone willing to back that? Can''t recall reading anything along those lines myself.

I''d of expected it to have been highlighted more so than it has, this being the first time i''ve noticed a poster say this, in contrast to the many who consider family location to still be an issue for Lambert.
[/quote]

I may be wrong but it was something that must have triggered in my mind when I read this. I believe he said something along the lines of that he was happy now that his family had made the move down here, and I think someone on the 606 board said that his family live in Newmarket.

I cannot see why this wouldnt be true as I can''t see him constantly visiting his family, especially with the commitments of training etc. and how exactly do people know that he flew to Scotland after the Bristol Match? Is not something that would be widely publicised either...

[/quote]

I''m pretty certain they are still in Scotland. As I understand i he usually flies home to Scotland at the end of the week and Culverhouse takes training Monday - Wednesday most weeks.

He''s not going to go.

He might go at the end of the season if we dont go up and a low prem side or newly relegated team want him - but leaving now would be absurd, more money or not. He''s not going to be short of offers inevitably, so there''s no reason he''d jump at the chance when the first tin pot club shows an interest.

He earns a lot of money managing us by most peoples standards - I''m sure he won''t leave just for a bit more cash, he will without doubt get bigger and better offers in the next 12 months.

A massive factor too is that he''s idolised here: just ask hucks how important that is.

He won''t go. I can make an official approach for Alex ferguson to come and manage my pub team - doesn''t mean he''ll be on the first megabus south though does it?

[quote user="Urban heat island"]How often are bookies wrong ?........Malky Mackay is doing a fine job at the Hornets.....Keep the faith!!

Paul Lambert now odds-on with bookies for Burnley post - The Scotsman
[/quote]

Malky was 1/5 For the Burnley Job at 3pm this afternoon

Lambert, McInnes, Big Sam, Phil Brown and Eddie Howe have all been ''odds on'' at some point this week.

Cockety ballocks

I feel sick, terrible (like others on here). 

Your head tells you it''s not surely going to happen, not to Burnley, surely.  That''s a step backwards, and even for more money, it would also be a massive ask getting them up this season, joining them more than half way through the season, even for Lambert. 

Burnley wanted him last season and he wasn''t interested, so why would he be interested now?

If his family is still in Scotland, how long does it take to hop on a plane and fly from Norwich?  Burnley to Scotland is a lot more than just an hour''s drive.

There is also that nagging, horrible feeling about Burnley''s official announcement and approach though.  Why would they go public in such a manner unless they were fairly confident?  I also think that if he did go he would come back and try and rape us of our best players.

He''s built his team here, keeps talking about commitment, how much he loves it.  If he left to join Burnley, it would be purely for the money and well, quite frankly he can stick it, because if that was the true measure of the man (after everything he has said) then I don''t want him here.  If success doesn''t come at Burnley then he only has himself to blame.  Just because Lambert has been very successful here, does not mean that he will be at Burnley.  There aren''t many managers who have massive success at every club they go to.  The Norwich set up may suit Lambert''s skills down to the Ground where as Burnley may not. 

Lambert may be the master at making a silk purse out of a sow''s ear, but not at making a gold threaded purse out of a silk purse.  Look at the decent managers who have failed when moving to ''bigger'' clubs with more money.  Allardyce at Newcastle, Hodgson at Liverpool spring to mind and there are many more.

Also, look at how quickly Burnley rid  themselves of Laws when only 2 points off a play off place.  Is that a club Lambert really wants to go to? Alas, perhaps they will be well suited[:^)]

It did cross my mind last night that if Hodgson got the sack, that he could end up at Liverpool (if they were interested).  That is a move, that although still painful, you could understand.