Sign in to follow this  
mighty yellow

Charlie Austin

I have watched Charlie play a few times live and on TV, my good friend is a Swindon fan so he never shuts up about him, and for good reason.Austin is available for £2m allegedly, which is believable as they sold Simon Cox for £1.5m. He just doesn''t ever stop scoring. He missed over a month through injury this season, yet he''s still got 17 goals, and 31 in 50 league games for Swindon since signing. 6-7 years ago now we signed Dean Ashton, playing at the same level as Charlie, for £3m. Deano had played a lot more league games, but Austin has done it consistently since signing. I heard Morrison at Millwall was worth over £3m, and Long at Reading £5m! Austin seems a steal, if he scored half as many for us as he has at Swindon we will still be up there come the end of the season.It''d still be a bit of a gamble, but if we could find the money from somewhere, I can''t think of anyone else I''d rather have. What do you reckon?

£2m, i very much doubt the club has. I''d love the club to go out and spend that kind of money but its not going to happen.

Dean Ashton was the top scorer in the Championship and had been included in every England representative age group from schoolboys upwards.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]£2m, i very much doubt the club has. I''d love the club to go out and spend that kind of money but its not going to happen.

Dean Ashton was the top scorer in the Championship and had been included in every England representative age group from schoolboys upwards.[/quote]Was hoping the first reply to this post wouldn''t be so shite tbh.

Dean Ashton was playing in The Championship in the season that we signed him, he had one and a half a seasons in that season before he justified a £3.5m price tag.In my opinion any proven League One striker is a gamble when moving up a division, and so I wouldn''t pay anymore than £1m for a player from that level. And that includes Grant Holt, who has now doubled his value.Ashton had scored 17 goals in 23 league games in the half a season before being bought by Norwich in 2004/2005, he scored 19 in 43 the year before that, in a struggling team.If Ashton was worth £3.5m after that, then I would say that Austin is worth £1.5m max - and half a million of that is purely because he is a big man, and you pay a premium for a big man these days.It is League One, afterall, we have seen with our own eyes how poor that division is. Jamie Cureton has scored a goal every 2 games this season in League One, does that mean that we should give him another pop at The Championship?I would have Austin, good player, but not for £2m. There are other good strikers in that league, Hull just signed Aaron Mclean for £1m, and that is a striker who has played a season of Championship football.