Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Orient

After yesterdays trials, tribulations and much gnashing of teeth, I awoke this morning to feel a warm glow.............Yes, Ricardo''s new central heating boiler was up and running at last. Seriously though, its not until the little things you rely on are no longer there that you realise how much they affect the big picture. Todays events at CR were a perfect example.There was a good turnout from Orient that swelled the crowd to 18k but sections of the Snakepit looked very sparse by comparison. The City bench looked very strong with Ruddy, Holt, Nelson and Jackson as PL decided to give some fringe players a run out. A sensible idea in view of the heavy Christmas period but in my experience it is often a recipe for a very ordinary performance and unfortunately so it was proved today.City knocked the ball about confidently in the early moments and very nearly opened the scoring when Chris Martin''s cut back was almost forced in by Wilbraham. The formation looked very 442''ish with Martin and Wilbraham up front and Fox, Smith,, Macnamee and Hoolahan interchanging in midfield. Orient defended solidly and it was not until the 8th minute that they came forward and Rudd had to be alert to cut out a low shot from Jimmy Smith. City seemed content to just knock passes about in front of the Orient reaguard as they probed for an opening but seemed to lack any real sense of urgencey in their play. On 20 minutes they paid dearly for this sloppy attitude when scruffy play led to a corner on the Orient left and Smith was in acres of space to nod the opener past Rudd. At last City upped the tempo and with Russell Martin finding lots of space down the right were soon raining crosses into the Orient box. The quality however was terrible as time after time they were overhit or pulled back behind the forwards. It took until 30 minutes for Fox to finally send a 20 yarder just wide and until 33 minutes before Wes finally tested the keeper with a low effort from the D. City should really have won a penalty when a defender clearly handled in the box but when the ref waved it away we should have twigged that it wasn''t going to be our day.There were no changes at the half and indeed little change in the pattern of play as City continued to dominate without ever producing a worthwhile effort on goal. PL had seen enough after an hour and the semi static Wilbraham departed as Holt came on. Lappin also came on as Drury was withdrawn. Again the tempo was increased and although it resulted in a few scrambles an equaliser didn''t look imminent. Fox and Martin shot over and Barnett headed over the top but there was still nothing to test the keeper. Macnamee kept finding lots of space but quality crosses were at a premium. Jackson came on for Martin as the game moved into the final quarter. It was all very depressing and not until injury time did a dipping shot from Macnamee finally bring the Orient keeper into action. It was bloody freezing cold by now and Ricardo sighed with relief as the ref signalled the last rights. There were big cheers from the Orient fans as they celebrated a deserved victory.A truly awful display but one I would certainly swap for 3 points next Saturday. If there was such a thing as a MOM for this performance then it has to be Wes for at least he made the effort to get things going. Barnett was reasonable but I can''t think of much positive to say about the rest. One thing I am now convinced of is that Mcnamee will never be more than an impact player and that if Wilbraham was replaced by a yellow and green wheelie bin, most of us wouldn''t know the difference.

[quote user="ricardo"]One thing I am now convinced of is that Mcnamee will never be more than an impact player and that if Wilbraham was replaced by a yellow and green wheelie bin, most of us wouldn''t know the difference.

[/quote]Classic Ricardo but oh, so true!

Ricardo, I hope you didn''t get one of those new-fangled boilers that pack up after only five years and are also susceptible to freezing of the outside pipes..

"It was bloody freezing cold by now and Ricardo sighed with relief as the ref signalled the last rights."

Thanks Ricardo, although based upon the above comment, I don''t think your mind was really on the game at the end but more on your new central heating boiler in wait for you. Snowy probably was curled up right beside it after giving you accusing looks at the cold treatment you imposed as a result of not acting sooner.

If I didn''t know better I would have thought that City weren''t too bothered today.

I think Wilbraham maybe the new fall guy. Let him knock the opponents about and take the yellow cards rather than Holt.

Thankfully someone else has spotted McNamees limitations. He has flattered to deceive - perhaps one where Lambert did make a mistake, as he''s had long enough now to ''mould him into shape. A rocket up his backside might be a better and quicker solution,

[quote user="City1st"]If I didn''t know better I would have thought that City weren''t too bothered today. I think Wilbraham maybe the new fall guy. Let him knock the opponents about and take the yellow cards rather than Holt. Thankfully someone else has spotted McNamees limitations. He has flattered to deceive - perhaps one where Lambert did make a mistake, as he''s had long enough now to ''mould him into shape. A rocket up his backside might be a better and quicker solution,[/quote]

Personally, I would not be surprised if Lambert had threatened to fine them all if they won, and to immediately sell any player that scored today. [:D]

Ricardo I could not have put that any better as it was word for word exactly what I watched. One minor point is that young Chrissy Martin wasn''t much better than the wheelie bin.[:D] I''d have liked to have seen Ollie given a run out.

[quote user="paul moy"]Ricardo, I hope you didn''t get one of those new-fangled boilers that pack up after only five years and are also susceptible to freezing of the outside pipes..[/quote]No mate, Ricardo paid top dollar for a good''un.What griped me was that it was up and fitted Wednesday but wouldn''t start because the circuit board was duff and no replacement available till Friday pm.Lovely and warm when I got home tonight though.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

"It was bloody freezing cold by now and Ricardo sighed with relief as the ref signalled the last rights."

Thanks Ricardo, although based upon the above comment, I don''t think your mind was really on the game at the end but more on your new central heating boiler in wait for you. Snowy probably was curled up right beside it after giving you accusing looks at the cold treatment you imposed as a result of not acting sooner.

[/quote]Another day in a cold house and the little feller would have been off  i''m sure, Yankee. He was so pleased this morning that he left a dead mouse for me outside the back door.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]Ricardo, I hope you didn''t get one of those new-fangled boilers that pack up after only five years and are also susceptible to freezing of the outside pipes..[/quote]

No mate, Ricardo paid top dollar for a good''un.

What griped me was that it was up and fitted Wednesday but wouldn''t start because the circuit board was duff and no replacement available till Friday pm.

Lovely and warm when I got home tonight though.
[/quote]

Pheeeew, that''s a bit of luck because British Gas had about 70,000 call-outs over Xmas for those new boilers that have to be installed by a law implemented with the help of a certain John Prescott MP. Let''s hope that the authorities don''t catch you and snowy remains warm and cosy.  

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]Ricardo I could not have put that any better as it was word for word exactly what I watched. One minor point is that young Chrissy Martin wasn''t much better than the wheelie bin.[:D] I''d have liked to have seen Ollie given a run out.[/quote]He was poor today but at least we know he can play a bit. Ive seen nothing from Willers to excite me yet.I was watching him today and it suddenly came to me that he puts me in mind of a 2nd rate John Manning crossed with a third rate Bryan Conlon.Old timers will know who I mean and tell me if i''m wrong.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="IncH_HigH "]Ricardo I could not have put that any better as it was word for word exactly what I watched. One minor point is that young Chrissy Martin wasn''t much better than the wheelie bin.[:D] I''d have liked to have seen Ollie given a run out.[/quote]

He was poor today but at least we know he can play a bit. Ive seen nothing from Willers to excite me yet.

I was watching him today and it suddenly came to me that he puts me in mind of a 2nd rate John Manning crossed with a third rate Bryan Conlon.
Old timers will know who I mean and tell me if i''m wrong.

[/quote]

[;)]

Ricardo, how could you?[:@] I spent years in therapy trying to forget Bryan Conlon and you bring all those nightmarish memories back!

To be serious (as someone who wasn''t at the game) I would still defend acquring a cheap and cheerful wheelie bin stand-in for Holt IF that means there is the bulk of the January funds available for a class performer who would improve the squad and threaten to start games. And as far as that goes I notice City1st shares my view of McNamee. Perhaps I have been unlucky but he has never impressed me. That could be why Lambert has (possibly) husbanded his money.

Do you think they really wanted it today Ricardo or had the changes set the lacklustre tone?

Lambert wasn''t anywhere near as animated as he usually is on the touchline. Was he relieved to be out of the cup?

Let''s just thank God that Cody was not in the team today, or we could be facing an extended cup run....... PHEEEEEEEWWWWWW !!!

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]Do you think they really wanted it today Ricardo or had the changes set the lacklustre tone?

Lambert wasn''t anywhere near as animated as he usually is on the touchline. Was he relieved to be out of the cup?[/quote]To be honest the FA cup is not what it was 40 or 50 years ago. In those days crowds were often bigger for a cup match than a league match and somehow the football was more end to end. It was referred too as "Cup Tie Football" and was seen as something special. I don''t think there is the same pull today and I don''t think the the players, the crowd or Lambert were too bothered to be out of the cup.In all honesty there are far bigger fish to fry, starting next Saturday.

I agree ricardo. It felt it was like a practice game and if the team isn''t too keen to win they play the ball constantly in front of the oppo''s defence.

It''s a fairly common occurrence and nothing can be proved of course.

I too was freezing my socks off and glad to get back to a warm pussy

" It was referred too as "Cup Tie Football" and was seen as something special"

My old grandad used to bike to every game .and such was the excitement of the cup in ''59 he took my uncle on the crossbar to see City play Man Utd.

Thinking it was a lucky omen he took him on the crossbar to the next game ,and the next one ......

............. nearly killed the poor ole barsted biking back from Sheffield !

For you young uns who want to know what cup fever was feast your eyes on this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NNiTJ5Vh4