Sign in to follow this  
jed exodous

Out the cup...

Quite glad to be honest so we can focus on the league.  We dont need any distractions, look at Leeds they now have the replay to think about, and QPR striker Jamie Mackie whos scored 10 goals or so suffered a double fracture of his leg against Blackburn.  I hope he makes a speedy recovery, but these are the sort of things that can happen.

Onwards and upwards, lets win some league games and push on...

[quote user="jed exodous"]

Quite glad to be honest so we can focus on the league.  We dont need any distractions, look at Leeds they now have the replay to think about, and QPR striker Jamie Mackie whos scored 10 goals or so suffered a double fracture of his leg against Blackburn.  I hope he makes a speedy recovery, but these are the sort of things that can happen.

[/quote]

WOW, that''s awful news for him and I would imagine that all QPR fan''s are now wishing that he had not played in this game. With Cardiff and Leeds drawing Cup games, Watford winning and us losing we really have put the odds on promotion firmly in our favour.

It''s been a good day for us [<:o)]

I''m very disappointed as we have clearly underestimated Orient. It was a game too easy, so we have lost it.

Ok, no problem, it''s the 1st bitterness in a fantastic season.

If you want to have a laugh, in Italy when this sort of masochist sh*t happens, we evoke a TV character, Tafazzi.

If someone of you guys can help me to put the link sensitive you''ll understand why. . . :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0dnphLhqs

[quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]

Couldnt disagree more. Who do you think is more confident and fired up tonight, us or Leeds?

We were poor last week and today was the perfect opportunity to get us up and running again. Lambert hasn''t got much wrong since he arrived but he got it completely wrong today.

Can''t understand why he doesn''t take cup competitions seriously because he seems the sort of character that you''d expect to want to win every game but apparently not.

Still he''s in good company, I imagine Wenger is feeling like a right pillock tonight.

I would have liked to win this match, and I think we really should have won it. However, there were much more embarrassing shocks than this - Middlesbrough losing to L2 Burton Albion, Sunderland losing at home to L1 Notts County, and despite the fact Bolton won their game 2-0, they were held at home for 83mins by Conference York City.

Personally I afraid I can''t see us winning the FA cup though, and now we are out of both cups, we can concentrate on the League

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]

Couldnt disagree more. Who do you think is more confident and fired up tonight, us or Leeds?

We were poor last week and today was the perfect opportunity to get us up and running again. Lambert hasn''t got much wrong since he arrived but he got it completely wrong today.

Can''t understand why he doesn''t take cup competitions seriously because he seems the sort of character that you''d expect to want to win every game but apparently not.

Still he''s in good company, I imagine Wenger is feeling like a right pillock tonight.[/quote]I''m sure Leeds are more confident, but if we kept going in the cup we could get worse in the league. If we have cup fixtures to play as well, there''s more chance of our players getting fatigue, suspended, or injured for other league games. I mean - imagine if we had changed it round to 5-1, and there was less than 10mins remaining. Then in those final minutes Holt and Hoolahan both got broken legs. Yes I''m sure we would manage to still win the game, but how do think we would do for the rest of the season? Would we be up and running with good confidence? Personally I think not, though you don''t seem to mind if this happened. I couldn''t agree more with Jed

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]

WOW, that''s awful news for him and I would imagine that all QPR fan''s are now wishing that he had not played in this game. With Cardiff and Leeds drawing Cup games, Watford winning and us losing we really have put the odds on promotion firmly in our favour.

[/quote]

Honestly don''t know where to begin with all this!

How the hell can a woeful performance and defeat to a lower league team at home be ....''a good day for us''   So you actually WANTED your team to lose did you??? As for ''distractions'', thats rubbish. We heard all this in 2005 when we lost at West Ham. Guess what we - were still relegated!! 

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How the hell can a woeful performance and defeat to a lower league team at home be ....''a good day for us''   So you actually WANTED your team to lose did you??? As for ''distractions'', thats rubbish. We heard all this in 2005 when we lost at West Ham. Guess what we - were still relegated!! 

[/quote]

Yes it was a good if we want promotion. Judging from the performance of the team it would appear that a few others also wanted us to lose, and may even have been under instructions to fail. If MacNamee plays in the next match it will say it all for me.

As far as the West Ham cup match in 2005 is concerned, it effectively cost us Prem status as we lost three players(Huckerby, Bentley etc) due to injuries for a number of games and were relegated by a slender margin. Now look how QPR will suffer without Mackie for the rest of the season. Cup games can be a real liability, as I have been saying all week.

Players can break legs in league games, in training, even playing with their kids in the garden.

To suggest that you don''t try and win cup games because you might get an injury is absolutely ludicrous.

Losing is a bad habit to get into whatever the competition and we''ve just thrown a winnable game to achieve absolutely nothing.

Hopefully this does''nt mean losing two on the trot, it may be a good thing don''t see how let''s put it behind us, and go for glory.

Boro 3 Toon 1 Never forget.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]Players can break legs in league games, in training, even playing with their kids in the garden. To suggest that you don''t try and win cup games because you might get an injury is absolutely ludicrous. Losing is a bad habit to get into whatever the competition and we''ve just thrown a winnable game to achieve absolutely nothing.[/quote]

Injuries do seem to be worse and more frequent in Cup games where players are playing for one-off glory and and are more willing to risk injuries and play on with them. Bert Trautmann who played on with a broken neck springs to mind, but history is littered with examples (Paul Gascoigne''s dreadful injury for Tottenham against Forest is another), so I am well pleased to have our players free from this risk for another season to concentrate on what really matters..... the Prem !!!!  

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We did the same last season, look how that ended!

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]Players can break legs in league games, in training, even playing with their kids in the garden.

To suggest that you don''t try and win cup games because you might get an injury is absolutely ludicrous.

Losing is a bad habit to get into whatever the competition and we''ve just thrown a winnable game to achieve absolutely nothing.[/quote]When you say "thrown the game" do you mean we deliberately went out to lose, e.g. cheated? If so, there is a big difference between protecting your most valuable players/giving fringe players a chance to prove themselves,hat you are suggesting Lambert dictated to the players tonight.I''m not sure if you''re on a wind-up, but surely you realise that by reducing the number of games your top players play in, you reduce the chance of injury and fatigue at a later point in the season? If we had a bigger squad with more depth, and didn''t have so many injuries/players just returning from injury already, I would probably see where you''re coming from. As it is, I can''t say I''m totally devastated to be out of the FA Cup.

We didnt field our strongest team and therefore weren''t trying to win the game.

I''m not sure if that qualifies as cheating although it is clearly ''cheating'' the people that paid to watch the game.

There used to be an FA rule against this and it used to be enforced. I''m not sure whether the rule is still in place, if it is then it is not enforced as teams, particularly in the Prem, regularly field weakened teams.

People say that this is because football has changed, and its true. Unfortunately its one of the changes that detracts from rather than improves the beautiful game.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]We didnt field our strongest team and therefore weren''t trying to win the game.

I''m not sure if that qualifies as cheating although it is clearly ''cheating'' the people that paid to watch the game.

There used to be an FA rule against this and it used to be enforced. I''m not sure whether the rule is still in place, if it is then it is not enforced as teams, particularly in the Prem, regularly field weakened teams.

People say that this is because football has changed, and its true. Unfortunately its one of the changes that detracts from rather than improves the beautiful game.[/quote]Yep, I agree that football has become too cynical and finance-oriented, but the way I see it we have one of two choices. Give up and go and watch rugby, or follow the excitement of our home-town team attempting to compete at the highest level regardless of the ethics involved.Also, I think you''re pretty out of order with regards to Lambert''s team selection - as far as I can remember we had nobody playing who hasn''t either started or been regularly on the bench for us this season. The fact we were still rubbish is probably more to do with the amount of injuries and matches we have had recently, than Lambert not wanting to win the match.As he said himself, if you''re in something, you might as well try and win it. I think we''ve got to trust his statements until proven otherwise, as he has done a pretty decent job so far, wouldn''t you say?

For all those who are furious about us losing this cup match and thinking that if we won we would do well in the league, I just want to point something else out - does a good cup run always keep you on good form in the league? Personally I think it means the exact opposite. I mean look at Leeds top of the table last season, they win at Old Trafford, Spainboy constantly posting on here claiming that we would never manage to beat them and how did it finish - we won the title, and they just scraped 2nd. Also this season - the Scum have reached the semi finals of the Carling Cup and have a slight chance of winning it, but what do you think their chances of winning the title are now?

All other points aside, the poster who posted earlier in the week to say this would be an easy game got that wrong.It was always going to be a game when Lambert rested some key players. He did last season in all the cup runs. Did people honestly expect him to do things differently this season?

Exactly HJ, for all those who are moaning about being cheated by not having the full first team out, they must''ve known it''d be a weakend team so why go if your gonna moan?  I''d be disappointed if we didn''t go for it if we were sitting in 11th or 12th or something...

It would be nice to get thru and get a big team, but hopefully next year there will be big teams every week...

I just started this thread to point out the Mackie injury, these things happen, we''ve been fairly lucky that we haven''t had too many serious injuries and you never know when something like that will happen, but the more games you play the more likely it will...

Lambert''s body language is a classic giveaway, responding to the question about how disappointed he was, watch him scratching the back of his neck with his index finger (on both hands, but not at the same time!). Yeah, really disappointed, really, really........he did well to suppress a grin....but we pick ourselves up and go again for the big match next wk etc

It would be extremely foolish for a team in our position to risk the big prize for the romance of a cup run. Lambo has his feet on the ground and McNally certainly does too.

Dissapointed too lose to a poor League 1 side but then again if given the choice of going up or getting to the FA cup 5th round I know which one I''d take!

I suspect that was the teams mindset as well hence the reason why Leyton Orient wanted to win the game moe than what we did!

I''d love to see the club get back to what it was for many years - a good cup team but getting back to another part of what the club used to be which was a regular established top flight club is more pressing!

[quote user="book end"]

Lambert''s body language is a classic giveaway, responding to the question about how disappointed he was, watch him scratching the back of his neck with his index finger (on both hands, but not at the same time!). Yeah, really disappointed, really, really........he did well to suppress a grin....but we pick ourselves up and go again for the big match next wk etc

It would be extremely foolish for a team in our position to risk the big prize for the romance of a cup run. Lambo has his feet on the ground and McNally certainly does too.

[/quote]

One answer to this - Burnley 2008-2009 season. Check the stats. Thank you.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="book end"]

[/quote]

One answer to this - Burnley 2008-2009 season. Check the stats. Thank you.

[/quote]

And we have been saved from a third trip to Taffsville