Sign in to follow this  
The Great Wall Of Tettey

Martin Jackson Mcdonald

It seems a pretty big debate has opened up about the 3 and who should be playing where.

firstly, why does everyone love chris martin so much ? i know hes local and he is talented, but hes showing he just cant cut it in the championship. Im sorry but 18 league starts with 8 sub appearances and the lad only scores 4 goals. To be honest i couldnt really care how much he ''trys'' to run for the ball or ''trys'' to win a header, hes not converting anything to goals. Yesterday he had 1 decent shot all game which i dont really class as good enough in comparison to what we were creating.

secondly, simeon jackson. Why has everyone started slating him all of a sudden ? all ive seen is hes not good enough and he cant cut it yet he hasnt had half as many chances. Jackson also has 4 league goals, yet from 11 starts and 11 sub appearances. if martin gets such a long run in the team yet doesnt produce anything, then jackson should be given more of a chance. A new striker cant be expected to come on now and again and back in goals from the bench. hes scored goals consitantly in all of the seaons in the lower leagues, and we cant forget the lads only 23! theres a nice video of him on youtube showing all his seasons goals, and the lad hasnt been able to get into them positions this season to convert them, which will come with time.

jackson leads me on nicely to the last point with cody mcdonald. hes scored a few goals in league 2 and everyone is calling for him to come back and be playing more ? jackson scored even more goals than mcdonald in league 2, and still managed to scored 16 in league 1 last season for a poor gillingham side. despite mcdonalds scoring, if any of you have seen or read match reports they seem to say ''mcdonald scores 3 in a game he should have scored 6'' and ''in the right place at the right time''. i know goals get the recognition, yet we shouldnt be calling for a guy back whos scored a few goals in the lower league when we have a guy sitting on the bench that has done that consitantly for seasons.

feel free to have your input!

Agree fully with your comments about Jackson but I feel we need to develop Chrissy into an attacking midfielder. Watch his performance against QPR where he plyed in the hole. He created a lt of chances for others and has a good eye for a pass, but I too feel he can''t cut it in the Champ as a striker.

thing is, if we make him into a CAM he wont start becuase of hooly. He needs to work opn what he is already good at (finishing) and soon the goals will flow. I think he is trying too hard atm!

Absolute rubbish developing him into a attacking midfielder, we know he scores goals because of last season. He has hit a drought, so what. He is linking play well up top as well, as soon as he gets his shooting boots, on which is a matter of time, then making him an attacking midfielder will kill a perfectly good forward.

I agree with Jackson getting more chances, and I don''t like him being played on the wing. Messing with people''s positions is just unnecessary and I think if Martin couldn''t "cut the championship" Lambert wouldn''t play him.

Jackson and Martin are all good strikers, but are low on confidence because fans got on there back. McDonald would be wasted to be recalled, let him have his season down there and assess him in the summer.

Cody has scored 12 goals in 19 appearances this season for the Gills, whereas Jackson scored 16 last season(in 46 games?), albeit in League 1.  I think I''d back Cody to get more than that 16 in a League 1 season, and therefore as a better goalscore than Jackson.  

Paul Moy- Gillingham are playing at a lower standard and are one of the better attacking sides in that division meaning Cody gets a bagful of chances.

Simeon Jackson scored 16 goals for them when they went down, meaning he had limited amount of chances. Are top-scorer when we went down was Leroy Lita on 8 goals.

I bet shot/goal ratio Jackson wins hands down. Meaning Jackson is the better goalscorer.

[quote user="paul moy"]Cody has scored 12 goals in 19 appearances this season for the Gills, whereas Jackson scored 16 last season(in 46 games?), albeit in League 1.  I think I''d back Cody to get more than that 16 in a League 1 season, and therefore as a better goalscore than Jackson.  [/quote]

Now i am seriously coming to the conclusion that you are either related to Cody,or his agent...........[;)]

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]Paul Moy- Gillingham are playing at a lower standard and are one of the better attacking sides in that division meaning Cody gets a bagful of chances. Simeon Jackson scored 16 goals for them when they went down, meaning he had limited amount of chances. Are top-scorer when we went down was Leroy Lita on 8 goals. I bet shot/goal ratio Jackson wins hands down. Meaning Jackson is the better goalscorer.[/quote]

The proof of the pudding will be next year, so we will see. ... and Herman, I wish that I was his agent because he''s going to be making a fair bit on Cody very soon.... LOL

As far as I''m concerened Chris Martin should keep his place in the team.  I know he hasn''t scored many goals but it''s not like he has missed loads of sitters like Cureton was a few years back.  Martin and Holt are linking up wonderfully well and Chris Martin is Grant Holt''s best strike partner out of the players we have at the moment.  I think we should get off Martin''s back and get behind because despite not scoring he is still vital to our team.

Lets not forget this is his first full Championship season.

I belive That Martin should posses more of the CAM role as other posters have said. when he played against QPR he realy did impress me with the way he linked up with the rest of the team and how he was everywhere on the pitch winning balls of the oposition and creating chances in their box. Chris is a much more creative striker than any of what we have and since Hoolahan plays in this position this could limit his chances and the only solution is to play Holt on his own or drop Hoolahan and stick Jackson up with Holt with Martin behind him. I dont think Jackson is capabile of first team football and whatever he has got im yet to be impressed and would be unlikley to favor him over Martin or Hoolahan.I think Jackson is a weaker player than Cody McDonald as were told how fast Jackson is but I feel Cody is faster. But, it is unlikley McDonald will stay on because his contract is up at the end of the season and the question is will Lambert renew his contract. duno. as for Oli Johnson i am seriously doubting that he has a future at the club as it stands and I hope im worng. But a loan move to Yeovil will give him an oppertunity to improve his game as a starting 11 player and could help him prove his worth to us.

With Holt and Hools banging them in, i see no real concern, the 3 work as a trio in my opinion. Martin drops deep, as does holt kind of, but this means hoolahan can push on leaving them 2 to supply holt down the middle, or get it to the flanks to the full backs while the other 3 midfeilders sit and support and win the posession game. Martin is playing like an off form rooney which isn''t all that bad to be honest.