Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Norfolk senior cup.....are we cheating?

Just seen the line up for tonights NSC tie vs Norwich United, which is exeptionally strong with 8 players having played for the first team this season.

My question is, are we playing within the ''spirit'' of the competition?. I can''t remember the circumstances surrounding our involvement this season after a 20 year absence as to whether we were ''invited'' back into it by local clubs or whether we were simply entering as is our right to do so? .However I can''t possibly imagine that the non-league clubs of Norfolk would have wanted us back in it had they had known that we would be fielding a side full of professionals (including a 600k Jackson!) instead of an academy team with maybe the odd fringe player?

I have no real interest personally in local football other than that my local team Dereham Town have been fairly succesful in this competition in recent years and indeed have been drawn to play NCFC in the semi-finals should both sides progress.

I guess whilst Norwich are participating in the Senior Cup all other sides can probably kiss goodbye to winning in again?

you can understand why the club is putting a squad out like that, with no reserve team football to play its the only chance for some to have a competitive game

I agree with Nolly and also I would imagine the other teams in it would rather play some of ''first team'' squad just so they can say they have played against them. It will also help the number of fans going to watch the games

Why don''t they make it a round robin competition (so teams aren''t just out straightaway if they lose to us) and make us play all our games at away grounds with a rule saying we have to play so many "under age players". Therefore we get our fringe players playing, it will boost the gates at the grounds providing extra money and they would get a shot at upsetting a NCFC team and maybe a more realistic chance of winning the competition.

I think its sensible to leave Nelson out of this. If he were to get injury, all of a sudden you would only have Barnett and Whitbread as your only two match fit centre backs as Ward isn''t quite ready yet. Our brief is the league and nothing else. Francomb played alongside Whitbread in a pre season friendly at Fakenham did pretty well there. Plus Tudur Jones has also played there in pre season. For the calibre of opposition we are up against that should be adequate.

If you were a Norwich United player would you rather tell the grandkids that you have played (and possibly scored) at Carrow Road against Scottish and Welsh internationals or a few half-talented 16 year old kids that never made it?If you were a Norwich United fan or relative of a player would you rather pay £4 to watch the Norwich Youth Team or £4 to watch the Norwich reserves? If you were the Norwich United chairman would you rather take a slice of the gate reciepts tonight with first teamers to watch, or a slice of the gate reciepts if we were to play 16 year olds? It will probably put 500 on the gate at least.I know what I would choose in each of those circumstances. This is probably the biggest game that any of that squad will play, they will be delighted.As for the strength of the squad, I can only see 6 players that can be considered players who have "made it", they are Gill, Tudor-Jones, Askou, McNamee, Hughes, Jackson. Many of the others are still playing for a pro-contract, and the others are still a million miles away from establishing a career in football. I include Luke Daley and Jed Steer in that, one being a striker who has yet to score a professional goal and the other being a goalkeeper who may be highly rated but is still very young (I mean, we have been there many times before haven''t we?).

I play in the Senior Cup. From a personal point of view as a centre back I would much prefer to have played Norwich than the teams that we played. When you play local football you want to better yourself and progress. There is no better way to help your progression than playing against teams of much higher standard. I welcome the fact that they are putting out strong teams in the comp.

Dont get me wrong, I''m a Norwich fan and from our point of view this should be a more than useful excerise for some fringe/ recovering players but just thought it would be interesting to hear the viewpoint of people more closely involved with other clubs who enter the competition.

Surely Norwich United will love playing some pro''s at Carrow Road, very probably a one off for 99% of ametaur footy players.  Hope they enjoy it.

team for tonight

Steer, Francomb, Habergham, Gill, Tudur-Jones, Askou, McNamee, Hughes, Daley, Jackson, Dawkin.

On the bench: Ball, Matthews, Werndly, Gordon, Brindley.

Firstly if we are to enter this competition then lets not devalue it totally by putting out a youth team. It is not like the FA cup where progress could hinder the first team.

The conundrum is whether those playing tonight are, in the main, players who may not be staying so here''s a chance to prove otherwise - or players who need a good run out and tonight provides them with a chance to prove that they should be playing, if not should be staying.

Either way I cannot see any real losers here.