Sign in to follow this  
Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son

Current Team vs 03/04 Promotion Team

[quote user="hucks@dh6.co.uk"]think i must''ve stepped on Banana''s skin, doesn''t like me much![/quote/]Don''t worry I think most of us appreciate the contribution you made to this club while you played here'' I''ve been watching NCFC since 1972 and imo you are by far the most exciting player ever to play for the club. So many memories but the goal you scored against Wigan on that sunny Easter Monday is one that lives long in my memory, happy days.

I''d buck the trend and go with Edworthy at right back. People really are forgetting just how good he was for us. He was consistently excellent, much like Fleming, who i''d also have to put in.

Green

Edworthy, Fleming, Malky, Drury

Hucks, Francis, Holt, Wes

Iwan, Holt.

Though i''m not sure how i''d make that selection into a decent formation!

Very different teams indeed, but the thought of Hucks causing terror in our holy trinity formation makes me excitable.

Green
R.Martin
Malky
Flem
Drury
Hucks
Hoolahan
GaHolt
Crofts
GrHolt
Iwan

We had a tight defence in 04. I''ve put R. Martin in because he has been great this season and Crofts for the same reason. Hoolahan is a tricky player like you was so that''s my only worry about this team. And while you''re here Hucks, any idea what''s happening for Drury''s testimonial ? Current XI vs Drury XI (Such as you, Iwan etc.) 

--------------------Green----------------------

Eddy------Fleming---Makay-----Drury

---------------------------------------------------

----------Crofts----Holt----Francis--------

---------------------------------------------------

-----------Hoolahan-------Hucks----------

---------------------Holt-------------------------

Very tough for me to decide that though, Iwan in 04 was more of an impact player than a regular starter hence why I''ve gone for Grant, R.Martin came very close to claiming the RB slot & i''m a big admirer or Whitbred but that back 5 didn''t concede many goals, 39 over that season our present defense has already conceded 34 after 26 games.

The midfield 3 has a bit of everything and offers protection to the defense and would break up opposition play but both Francis and Crofts were/are players who can break forward and chip in with goals.

Hucks as has been said is one of the best players to ever pull on the City shirt and took us to the PL more or less single handedly and his inclusion should require no explanation. Wes is included because his eye for a pass feeding in Hucks speed would be deadly. Aswell as the skill and creativity he brings to the side.

Grant Holt over Iwan was as I said a tough choice but Holt''s all round play would be able to bring Hucks into the game so well IMO aswell as the way he can be a battering ram for defenses.

Surprised that McVeigh isn''t in many of the teams, I know his career tailed off, but back in his prime he was a supremely talented player. Apart from Holt, Crofts and possibly Rus Martin I think the old team has it. However I much prefer the formation and style we play now, even if many of the players of that great 03/04 team were perhaps better.One thing we should keep in mind is this team now is a young one, the vast majority of which have limited to no experience at this level and almost the whole team has been put together this season. I can''t wait for them to develop and become better as a team.

Again I was very torn between WLY and Wes for the spot in my team. McVeigh rates as one of my favourite Norwich players (hence my pic) and as you rightly say was a top player back then.

But i''d just have loved the chance to see how Hucks and Hoolahan played together, although dream scenario for me is Hucks and Eadie as wide players.... the sheer thought of those two in the same side makes me giddy!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"]

Discuss.....

[/quote]

Discuss.....???  Are you a bleedin'' schoolteacher?

[/quote]

Instructing with ''Discuss'' does come across as a bit David Brent I''m afraid!

Green

Edworthy

Malky

Barnett

Drury

Holt

Francis

Lansbury

Hucks

Hoolahan

Holt

I''m surprised so many people have Iwan in their teams. He was a fantastic player but wasn''t even first choice during the promotion season.

i''m shocked Flem didn''t make your team he played in back 4 that only conceded 39 goals all season in a team that walked the league, we''ve already let in 35 in 26 games, how can Lansbury even get a mention when he''s played 4 games?

Green

Edworthy Fleming Mackay Drury

Hoolahan Holt Francis Huckerby

Holt Roberts

Could swap Gary Holt for Crofts and R Martin for Edworthy but both were consistent for a long time. Put Hoolahan on right because I seem to remember him playing there for Blackpool against us in FA cup at Bloomfield Road.

Would be quite an attacking line up with lots of crosses and chances created.

It''s difficult compile this list. Is it founded on talent, how such a team would hypothetically perform together, or achievement, as an individual player, or within the success of a team collectively? It all seems rather ambiguous, some may value certain aspects more than others.The example Hucks picked on is a clear display of how this ambiguous ''mix and match'' approach has lead to confusion.

[quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"]

How does our current team compare to the 03/04 promotion team ?

Strongest

Green----------------Ruddy.....................Green
Edworthy----------------R. Martin...........Martin
Fleming--------------Barnett....................Fleming
Malky---------------Whitbred.................Malky
Drury----------------Drury......................Drury
Hucks----------------Surman...............Hucks
Holt-----------------Smith.......................Holt
Francis------------------Crofts................Francis
WLY-----------------Hoolahan................Hoolahan
Iwan------------------Martin.......................Iwan
Svenson---------------Holt..................     Holt
Sorry if I haven''t got the team perfect but you understand what I mean.
In my opinion we had a stronger starting XI then but now we have more back up players.
Discuss.....

[/quote]

It really does depend how you pick the team...

If you go on the individual achievements of that season, then pretty much the whole of the 03/04 (with maybe Holt added up front) should get the nod. But if you do it on overall talent etc its a bit harder.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Banana are you stupid? Do you not remember how many Goals Hucks scored and created? Hoolahan gets man marked, runs around in circles and gives the ball away... Although he doesn''t do it as much now, thats all he did for his first year with us.... Huckerby never ''struggled'' He was the most fouled player in the premiership in our season up there, that fact alone gave us the opportunity to score from free-kicks. Hoolahan may be a better ''technical'' footballer, but Huckerby certainly has done a LOT more (he almost single handedly won us promotion from the Championship, Hoolahan was part of a trio that won us promotion from a league lower), and was the best player we have had at the very least in the last 10 years... (and I really rate Hoolahan, i think he is excellent, what he can do with the ball is amazing, but still hasn''t been as good as Hucks.... He could over take him, but will take a lot more than what he has already done)[/quote]

Simple answer to this is that he''s not really stupid - just an attention seeking child. 

[quote user="hucks"]i''m shocked Flem didn''t make your team he played in back 4 that only conceded 39 goals all season in a team that walked the league, we''ve already let in 35 in 26 games, how can Lansbury even get a mention when he''s played 4 games?[/quote]

I''d certainly agree with this.

People have short memories Hucks. I wouldn''t worry about it, the record of the 2004 team speaks for itself and for sure each member of that squads individuals careers, not only at norwich but before and after.