Sign in to follow this  
Norwich News

Elliot Bennett From Brighton to sign on Monday

This has apeared on their main North Stand Chat forum as well, and they are up in arms about it.  He seems to be one of the players they would least like to leave. A friend from college who works on the marketing side of things on their new ground said it is a deal way down the line to completion, and one of the worst kept secrets at the club.

So you''ve read a thread on here, created a new account with an incredibly imaginative name and pretended that you''re in the know.Well done.

A quick scan of the Brighton forum reveals this to be highly, highly unlikely.

just read this on here and see how everyone think someone created a fake account for this rumour, dunno if that is true or not cos u would have be one sad person to go the distance in doing that. so either this rumour is true or some city fans really have no life.on another note can someone please explain the s smith situation, how does everyone know hes leaving and are we selling or releasing him, surely he worth a few bob, he got euro experience, even if that was in scotland

I don''t know where it''s gone but there was another thread posted last night that claimed we were close to a deal for Bennett, but there was last minute interest from QPR. The guy who started the thread (not a new poster) claimed his mate was a youth team coach at Brighton. It started off as an unnamed player as he claimed his source wouldn''t give him the players name but he updated the thread later on with Bennett''s name.

I generally make a point of not believing any rumours I read on here, but this one didn''t seem like a wind up, although the thread does seem to have vanished.

[quote user="priceyrice"]on another note can someone please explain the s smith situation, how does everyone know hes leaving and are we selling or releasing him[/quote]At yesterday''s press conference, Lambert said "The situation with Steven is he''s still getting over his injury and doing really fine. But he''s finding it hard to settle here so I may have to look to move him on or send him out on loan"

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="priceyrice"]on another note can someone please explain the s smith situation, how does everyone know hes leaving and are we selling or releasing him[/quote]At yesterday''s press conference, Lambert said "The situation with Steven is he''s still getting over his injury and doing really fine. But he''s finding it hard to settle here so I may have to look to move him on or send him out on loan"[/quote]thanks, this is prob good news

PL is quoted by the Pinkun today as sating that we have started negotiations to sign his third target, but that there is a way to go.

Unless he can''t count, or isn''t telling the truth, this suggests that his target is not Elliot Bennett. Talk of his signing on Monday is extremely premature!

Bennett is playing and has scored today for brighton, so i dont think we''re far down the line on that one cause he clearly wouldn''t be playing...

More hear say on the pinkun forums... yawn

For what it''s worth, BBC Sussex Radio confirmed Norwich scouts WERE in attendance at Brighton''s game against Peterborough, and the radio presenters were well aware of the speculation linking us with Bennett.Whether that is to say there is any truth in the matter, i couldn''t possibly comment at the moment. But it would seem that the game being played at the Withdean today was of particular interest to us for one reason or another.

If we are after Bennett he could be the final piece in the jigsaw, someone with pace who can cross the ball. Just back from the game and he sounds like the kind of player who could have made the difference in such a tight match. Lets hope there''s some truth in it.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/8793761.Albion_fight_off_Norwich_interest_in_Bennett/

The fact that there managing director has said this: "There has been interest. It wasn''t sought, it is not welcome and it has been declined." probably means there is more to this rumour than some on the wind up... Whether or not he''s coming or we could afford him is a different matter however...

Ok, thanks for your input John.  Good to hear from someone in the area whos heard on perhaps a more reliable source.  I still cant see this happening on Monday as the op has suggested and as i''ve said before, until there is something on the Canaries site, i''ll take this with a pinch of Sodium Chloride...[:)]

Macca was so poor last week, i''m not surprised by his ommission today.  It perhaps would make sense to use him as part of the deal, but i remember Lambo was so keen to get him last year, also Swindon were asking a lot for him, i forget how much, but i''d doubt he''d be involved in the deal at this stage of the season.

For anyone interested in this story, this interview with Gus Poyet is worth listening from 2.15 onwards...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/9362809.stmBeing friends with many Brighton fans, and having followed the club closely, especially under Gus'' reign, i would feel a degree of sympaty for them, even empashy, if we happened to acquire Bennett, as much as Norwich are clearly my priority on the football side of things. Like us, they''re riding on the crest of a wave currently, and whilst we managed to retain the likes of Holt, Hoolahan, and of course Lambert, in our ascendancy, there have been dark moments during it where we''re resigned ourselves defeat in one way or another. The knock on effect of that is people begin to speculate whether the ''honeymoon period'' may come to an ugly and all too sobering end. Nightmare becomes a present reality, and success becomes a past dream.Luckily we''ve endured so far under Lambert, and we look to continue as we have, whereas with Brighton every fear we''ve had over the past year could well come true for them.That inkling of resignation in Poyet''s voice in the interview is a first for him since his arrival. I dread the day i hear the same from Lambert.

From the Brighton site:[quote]I have a pretty strong feeling that this is actually nonsense. Norwich

are in no way on the verge of the Prem, it''s only January and he could

end up in the same league as Albion next season and miss out on playing

at The Amex week in week out. Also he is our Star player and would not

be sure of starting for Norwich. If on the off chance I am wrong I thin

£4M + Hoolahan (who I notice is not in the first 11 these days) would be

near acceptable!

[/quote]It did make me chuckle

[quote user="Depraved"]From the Brighton site:

[quote]I have a pretty strong feeling that this is actually nonsense. Norwich are in no way on the verge of the Prem, it''s only January and he could end up in the same league as Albion next season and miss out on playing at The Amex week in week out. Also he is our Star player and would not be sure of starting for Norwich. If on the off chance I am wrong I thin £4M + Hoolahan (who I notice is not in the first 11 these days) would be near acceptable!
[/quote]

It did make me chuckle
[/quote]

£4 mil that''s good value! [;)] Others on there were saying we would have to pay £10 mil to get him aha

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/9362809.stmGus Poyet after todays match, 2.20 onwards about Bennett, and then going on about keeping his squad together. He sounds worried....

[quote user="Polar"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/9362809.stmGus Poyet after todays match, 2.20 onwards about Bennett, and then going on about keeping his squad together. He sounds worried....[/quote]^ Refer to my last post.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Polar"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/9362809.stmGus Poyet after todays match, 2.20 onwards about Bennett, and then going on about keeping his squad together. He sounds worried....[/quote]^ Refer to my last post.[/quote]

My bad, didn''t see it.