Sign in to follow this  
zak123

Darel Russell

When Crofts first signed and we decided not to renew the contract of Darel Russell, the general line was "not an adequate replacement, crofts is league 1 at best and Russell has years left in him". If anything it has now become the opposite, Crofts is developing into one of the leagues best defensive midfielders and russell is on the decline at preston!

When I saw that Crofts had scored 7 goals in 50 appearances for a strugging League One team, from defensive midfield, as well as the fact he was captain, I didn''t expect him to struggle...

However, I take your point. Russell was a very important player for us last year (in Lg 1 he is a class act). But he has gone to a struggling team and hasn''t really made the step back up. If we had kept him, I imagine he would be in contention to start games still.

It shows that unless you are a top player it does not always pay to mess about with your contract talks. Russell tried to up the anti and got his offer from Norwich withdrawn and has ended up in a relegation fight at Preston and quite probably league 1 next season.Crofts has done great and most clubs players of the season must be a bit special

Also have You noticed when he leaves a club they get promoted. When he left us for Stoke we won the league and when he came back to us. Stoke went up following season, hope I haven''t jinxed it.

I was disapointed that Russell left as he was a big part of our success last season. I bet he is as well cause hes playing for a club situated miles from anywhere who are struggling and are now getting crowds under 10,000!

Crofts has been a revelation and is a better player than Russell so I wouldn''t want Russell back now!