Sign in to follow this  
Jules

What's the coldest game you've been to?

With a max day time temperature in Cov predicted tomorrow of just -3 degrees C this will be the coldest game I''ve been to. What''s yours?Not looking forward to sitting there freezing tomorrow so will be wearing dozens of layers!

Derby away this season was pretty bad once the mist descended in the second half.Derby away midweek in 08/09 (lost 3-1), Barnsley away January 2008 (won 3-1) and Walsall at home, New Years Day 2002 (0-0) all stick in the mind as well.

Yeovil away last year was pretty baltic! mid december - uncovered terracing and an icy wind blowing straight down the ground to the away end.. i couldnt feel my feet the whole game as stupidly was wearing trainers and only one pair of not very warm socks.. makes me shiver just thinking about it!

[quote user="Sing up the river end "]Austria away with England about two years ago.Was about -10,never been so cold in my life as standing there.[/quote]That''s pure devotion. LOL.

[quote user="nu_matik"]Huddersfield at home last xmas? very underdressed and freezing toes.[/quote]Was going to sa this, it was freezing! Also Forest away 2-1 win Doc sent off (i believe) they scored an own goal two seasons ago, was pretty freezing. 5.20 k.o time on sky people with tops off. ouch

Forest Away a couple of seasons ago. 5:20 Kick Off. 2 degrees above when we got there but was 4 below when we got back on the bus.

But at least we won so that made it worth it

several cups of tea were consumed on that day

Ironically a game I always remember for being cold was in August. This was the Carling cup game away at MK Franchisers a couple of seasons back which we lost 1-0 with a typical Roedernowhere team that dominated midfield but were powderpuff unfront. The seats had that much sapce between them and the crowd wasn''t very big so the wind was blowing down the spaces and with not having wamr clothes on it was ruddy freezing!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Ironically a game I always remember for being cold was in August. This was the Carling cup game away at MK Franchisers a couple of seasons back which we lost 1-0 with a typical Roedernowhere team that dominated midfield but were powderpuff unfront. The seats had that much sapce between them and the crowd wasn''t very big so the wind was blowing down the spaces and with not having wamr clothes on it was ruddy freezing![/quote]Remember it well. Depressing evening all around and damned cold as you say.

Chelsea in the Cup on a Monday night in the early 70''s and Forest away during Christmas in 2000, I seem to remember we were  2 or 3 down after about half an hour but I stayed until about the 80th minute out of loyalty.

[quote user="nu_matik"]Huddersfield at home last xmas? very underdressed and freezing toes.[/quote]

Yeah this one for me.  Got back to the car afterwards and the locks were frozen so had to go to the Colmans security place and ask for hot water to poor over the locks and the guy in there said that it was -4! 

Can''t remember the game so not much of a story. But I remember standing in the Barclay/South Stand corner infill on a cold and freezing night game sometime in the 80''s - there was snow and ice on the terracing and the ground was half empty. Probably would have been cancelled these days.

Another memorable cold day was 3rd round FA Cup away to Birmingham in the early 80''s. It was freezing cold and foggy and my car of the time was misfiring all the way there and back we used about 3 times as much petrol as we should have. We drew, got them back to CR, drew and then loast away at the 3rd attempt. 

The coldest Norwich game I''d say would be Sheffield United at home in December a few years ago- 2007 I think? That was worse than the Huddersfield game last season, in my opnion.Last season I went to see Stafford Rangers v Blyth Spartans in the Blue Square North, and that was absolutely horrendous- I''d say that wins for me.

Either Stoke away a few years back when we lost 2-1 or Colchester away at Layer Road. We were on sky and not even a balti pie could warm us up. To top it off the game was pants!

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]Charlton away in the F A cup a couple of seasons ago , that was finger numbing[/quote]

I remember this. I was on the coach with a mate approaching The Valley, and the sun was shining with not much cloud cover, so me and my mate decided to leave our coats, scarves etc on the coach. we sat (well, stood) on the second from top row, near one of the entrances, and the wind was blowing through all game. When Lupoli scored the equaliser, i remember trying to chant, but no words came out! Very, very cold match! Since then, I''ve taken my coat etc to all away games, even if the weather man forecast 20+ degrees!!

For me it was either blackout away in the family cup when they were in league 1. So cold I felt the need to buy a second scarf.

Or the youth cup match with charlton last week.

Viper, if it was warm enough to rain, it was not all that cold! Miserable, perhaps, but not too cold.

I''ve been to CFL games at Taylor Field in Regina, Saskatchewan in October that were well below freezing. During the time I went to those games, the team sucked, so that just made it even worse.

The windiest game I ever attended, the punter for Winnipeg actually had a -8 yard punt. I read something recently about his career (he lasted a loooooooong time) and he remembered that too. It was his first game as a pro. Good thing his coach didn''t cut him right then and there!

A new deal is the NHL has an outdoor game at a football stadium in January each year. Attendance is always massive, but you know it''s gotta be brutal when it''s in a place like Edmonton. Michigan just had a college hockey game at their stadium and over 100,000 people showed up for it. It was not below freezing, though. It broke the record for biggest attendance ever for hockey.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Man City game in the Premier League a few years back - it snowed most of the game and was more than a little chilly.  This was arguably topped by a match against Stoke a year later.Derby two weeks ago wasn''t good either, and also I''ll mention Walsall (both times) and Brighton away last year - in fact Brighton was horrendous, being stuck in a small temporary stand with no cover, a million miles from the pitch.  I think that wins it for me.

Arsenal at home in about 1993 it was? we drew 1-1. Ekoku scored for us and Paul Davis for the gooners.it was about minus 2 with a wind chill as well!