Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

FAC Man Utd v Norwich 1968

Yes, I was there. It was a sensational day bearing in mind Man Utd were in their full pomp with several world-class players and we were a struggling second division side as it was in those days. It was a game when Kevin Keelan was virtually unbeatable apart from the Man Utd goal scored by Denis Law. The last few minutes were unbearable as we held on to our 2-1 lead and the stars of Man. Utd threw everything at us. It was a long but very happy train journey back. By the time we arrived at Thorpe Station we were able to pick up the early editions of the Sunday newspapers where the win was headline news.

Yes I was there and agree that Kevin Keelan was unbeatable - a great goal from Denis Law scored at the end where we were standing - hit on the volley off the outside of his boot

Some sloppy defence from United let Don Heath and Gordon Bolland score the City goals - it was only the third time in 3 years that United had been beaten at home

Lol Morgan was the City manager - can''t remember too much about him

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]united also lost away to Bournemouth in about 1989/90 i think? Harry redknapp was Bournemouth manager.[/quote][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]I think it is the last time that

United lost an FA Cup tie at home to a team from a lower division. [/quote]Pboro is right though of course - surprised so many had forgotten one of the key events in the run up to our title.

A great moment in our history (though I''m certain it was 1967 and not 1968. Sorry - I''m cursed with a pedantic mind!! [:D] )Gordon Bolland was one of the scorers - I recall that the Barclay boys gave him the bird when he subsequently returned to Carrow Road with Millwall. Shame on them!

Yes I was there.  I was 15 and it was the first away game I''d ever been to.  I was on one of the special trains and learned to play 3 card brag en route.  Some of us had a really good feeling about the game although no one else gave us a prayer.  63,000 packed in all standing, the atmosphere was fantastic.  It was only 8 years since the 59 Cup run and it was like reliving it all over again.  We were in 7th heaven, had to pinch ourselves.  Wonderful memories.

A friend swears that Bryceland played a key role by taking out Nobby Stiles in the first five minutes, kicking him squarely in the privates while the ref wasn''t looking, but I don''t remember that.  Don Heath was a bit like Gossy in the sense that apart from that glory moment he was a pretty average player.  Ron Saunders got rid of him soon after he arrived (about 18 months later as I recall).

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZgFtTLY6qk

Just seen this for the first time.  I think it is the last time that United lost an FA Cup tie at home to a team from a lower division.  They went on to win the European Cup 4 months later.

Was anyone at the game?  Looks like a lot of our fans made the trip.

[/quote]

As has already been pointed out it was 1967 not 1968 and it was the year United went on to win the League therefore it was the following season 1968 when they won the European cup.

Magic times for those of us old enough to remember so it was just a shame that we lost at home 1-3 to Sheffield Wednesday in the next round.