Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Coventry fans on local radio

Listened to Radio Coventry on the way home.  I have never heard such rubbish in my life!  All the callers thought the sending off was wrong, despite the fact that Boothroyd agreed the decision in his interview.  they all thought they should have had a penalty when Platt fell over his own feet in the first half, and the commentator blamed the Norwich players for the sending off, saying that our players crowded the referee.  He ignored the fact that their goalkeeper ran 40 yeards to join in the argument, and never mentioned the fact that we totally dominated the game before and after the sending off.

I thought they should have gone down to 9 men for the foul on Macnamee near the end - that wasn''t mentioned either.

Extrraordinary bias!  Nothing like Radio Norfolk when people phone up to complain that we won again.

If you weren''t at the game, it''s worth watching later for our first goal - a brilliant length of the pitch move.

Another great away performance.

Rumour at the game was that Hoolahan is going in January and will be replaced by Harley from Exeter.  We are also interested in Ched Evans and a young Dundee/Dundee Utd centre forward.

I would take Ched Evans in a flash!  If this Dundee player is the same one as reported on here a few weeks ago (Grithis I think?) then he sounds like a good prospect.  And I don''t know much about this Harley guy from Exeter, anyone care to fill me in?

By the sounds of the radio it was another good away performance.  It didn''t sound like we created loads of chances but got into lots of good crossing positions but failed to put in a good delivery, apart from the goal of course.

Great to see that we can go away full of confidence and get results like this.  A few seasons ago when Coventry equalised we would have probably lost it.  Paul Lambert is a football genius[:D]

It''s true about the crossing.  Russell Martin was probably the worst culprit - he wasted numerous chances to deliver a good cross, but having said that it may have been him that crossed for the first goal.

Harley is apparently vey similar to Hoolahan.  I think there were rumours of him signing for us at this time last year.  May be worth looking out for him on FLS tonight as Exeter scored 5 against Sheff Wed

I have heard about this Harley before but just knew nothing about him!  A star from the lower leagues is Lamberts type of signing as well so probably is quite likely.  I see Cureton bagged a couple today as well[;)]

Sheffield United payed a lot of money for Evans so he would probably come with a fair price tag.  About 1 million maybe?

I''d be massively surprised if we signed Evans, but it would be a real sign of intent, not had the best of times at United but for me very similar to Chris Martin but slightly more mobile

"Sheffield United payed a lot of money for Evans so he would probably come with a fair price tag.  About 1 million maybe?"I''d pay it! Not personally obviously but I think it''d be money well spent. Only if it''s there. If we can get to January and still be pushing for playoffs then we''d have a chance of cutting two years off the current plan so the money may be there.

Always the case with away fans. Christ some of things said in the local s cum rags after we whopped them 4-1 made hilarious reading. Holts 1st goal was handball and Delaneys sending of was wrong etc!

I remember Victoria Park Hartlepool at the start of last season and the rumours were that Hoolahans wasn''t there cause he was having a medical at Swansea I think it was. Given how ambitious Mcnally and Lambert are, selling one of our best players would I doubt be an option??

Ched Evans would be a great adition to our squad and would offer something that isn''t in our squad at the moment. 

Who would we drop for Evans? Chrissy Martin? If so def sell him to 4 mil to Real :P  Shame I do like Martin but no way we can drop Holty his influence on a game is amazing.

Get Ched Evans back?

Bloody hell, yes please!

He has "suffered" at Sheff Utd, primarily because of Blackwell''s management-may have had a chance under Speed, but, with them in the financial doo-dah, and another new Manager (supposedly Sean O''Driscoll) coming onboard, they may need funds for him-so selling Evans, who has a value financially, but maybe not to the team...makes sense!

Get him get him get him!!!!!

Would be sad to see Wes leave, but the signs are there-he isn''t getting into the team as much, and PL is playing 4-4-2 a lot more, which doesn''t seem to accomodate him. Mind you, there have been rumours that he *has* signed a new deal, so what and who do you believe?

But Super Ched returning, THAT would be something! Better, potentially, IMHO, than Sturridge, who he came through the ranks at Man City with. Needs the right club (tick) and the right manager (tick) and he''ll go a long, long way in the game. Class.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Get Ched Evans back?

Bloody hell, yes please!

He has "suffered" at Sheff Utd, primarily because of Blackwell''s management-may have had a chance under Speed, but, with them in the financial doo-dah, and another new Manager (supposedly Sean O''Driscoll) coming onboard, they may need funds for him-so selling Evans, who has a value financially, but maybe not to the team...makes sense!

Get him get him get him!!!!!

Would be sad to see Wes leave, but the signs are there-he isn''t getting into the team as much, and PL is playing 4-4-2 a lot more, which doesn''t seem to accomodate him. Mind you, there have been rumours that he *has* signed a new deal, so what and who do you believe?

But Super Ched returning, THAT would be something! Better, potentially, IMHO, than Sturridge, who he came through the ranks at Man City with. Needs the right club (tick) and the right manager (tick) and he''ll go a long, long way in the game. Class.[/quote]Had a bit of a debate with a Sheffield United fan on 606 about Ched Evans recently, possibly insightful, if only for the views of a Blades fan (seemingly one of many) disillusioned with Ched:http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A78478366I would personally have him back at Carrow Road in a heartbeat.

"Chedwyn Evans,Chedwyn Evans,Feed him now and he will score..."I ♥ Ched Evans.Evans/Holt up front, Martin & Jackson as alternative options - that would be a strike force.Coventry version of "Canary Call" in rubbish shocker!

Evans shone out like a beacon in the one good spell we had under Roeder. He scored quite a few goals too from what i remember (10 in 28 games according to Wiki but only 8 in 51 games at Sheffield), including that stunner at Cardiff! He definitely had Premier League potential.

IMO get Ched in and get rid of Jackson, bring back Cody, send Oli out on loan, remember he was in the same level of football as Cody not so long ago, and Cody is the Gills leading scorer so far this season but that is League 2, can he do a job for us,? well I think so but not for 90 minutes he is an impact player at this level.

We need a striker who can bully and out-muscle the defenders like Holt does. That is what we missed against Portsmouth. Much as I enjoyed Ched''s spell with us a couple of seasons ago, I''m not sure he fits the mould of what we really need. Plus, who is to say that Ched will repeat the form he showed last time he was with us? Back then he was sent to us on loan with a massive point to prove to his parent club. That wouldn''t be the case if we signed him now.

It''s a nice idea, but I don''t see Lambert going for it

Ched Evans would be instantly accepted at Carrow Road and given plenty of time by our sometimes impatient fans which would be to his benefit

But which Ched would we get at Carrow Road? The young gun who played here in 2008 who looked fast, keen, scored goals and had a shot like a sledgehammer?

He had Premier League potential, then, and bundles of it.

Or would City get the current version of Ched, who scored one goal for Man City in the season following his loan, started only a handful of games and was a sub that came on in the last few minutes of a match. How much did that season and the next season under Blackwell set him back in terms of his development? Who knows?

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Ched Evans would be instantly accepted at Carrow Road and given plenty of time by our sometimes impatient fans which would be to his benefit

But which Ched would we get at Carrow Road? The young gun who played here in 2008 who looked fast, keen, scored goals and had a shot like a sledgehammer?

He had Premier League potential, then, and bundles of it.

Or would City get the current version of Ched, who scored one goal for Man City in the season following his loan, started only a handful of games and was a sub that came on in the last few minutes of a match. How much did that season and the next season under Blackwell set him back in terms of his development? Who knows?

[/quote]Agree with much of this, Tim.  The consolation for me is that Lambert seems to have the priceless gift of getting everyone to play at the top of their game, and Ched Evans on top of his game would be awesome.

[quote user="KenBrown"]EvansWhy would he want a change so quicklyI think its pie in the sky and just a rumour with no substance[/quote]Hes been there 18 months at least and not exactly set Sheffield alight. Get him to Carra for him to find goals once again.

Maybe it''s case that Ched Evans doesn''t fit the mix that he''s in currently. He hasn''t necessarily become a worse player but if he''s not gelling for whatever reason then it figures that he will not be at the top of his game.As a previous poster has said, Lambert can get anyone to play to their maximum potential.Look at players we''ve had here and have gone on to do well elsewhere despite not performing so well for us. I was, doubtless one of many who was staggered when Ajax took Jurgen Colin off our hands.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]It''s true about the crossing.  Russell Martin was probably the worst culprit - he wasted numerous chances to deliver a good cross, but having said that it may have been him that crossed for the first goal.[/quote]The one thing that drives me mental with Russell is his lack of consistency when crossing. I remember the Reading game where he wasted some perfect opportunities to put a ball in when we had men in the box and he simply shanked the ball long and behind the net or right to keeper. Then he scored and all was forgotten suddenly until he started wasting crosses again. He obviously can cross and gets quite a few assists, but is NOWHERE near as consistent as Lappin, Drury or most other people crossing including our strikers. With Grant in the box we can take advantage of good crosses so hopefully Russell puts a few more in.